CycleBanter.com

-   -   Koolstop cartridge pads not fitting (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=208827)

[email protected] September 7th 09 12:16 PM

Koolstop cartridge pads not fitting

Last night it took me nearly an hour to replace my V-brake cartridges.
The koolstop pads I'd bought of the internet simply would not slide
into the holder - to the extent that I (a) had to pare the backs of
them down a bit and (b) remove the holders from the bike and use some
molegrips to ratchet them into place.

Am I just unfortunate in this respect? Did I buy the wrong pads?
Anyone else had problems with them? These were the green ones for
ceramic rims (something I'd never have bought, but it's a second hand
bike).

Seņor Chris September 7th 09 01:30 PM

wrote:
Last night it took me nearly an hour to replace my V-brake cartridges.
The koolstop pads I'd bought of the internet simply would not slide
into the holder - to the extent that I (a) had to pare the backs of
them down a bit and (b) remove the holders from the bike and use some
molegrips to ratchet them into place.

Am I just unfortunate in this respect? Did I buy the wrong pads?
Anyone else had problems with them? These were the green ones for
ceramic rims (something I'd never have bought, but it's a second hand
bike).

It helps if you take the retaining pin out first.

Seriously though, it shouldn't be a problem - a couple of weeks ago I
installed some Koolstop pads into Aztec holders and was able to slide
the old pads out and the new ones in by hand.

[email protected] September 7th 09 01:49 PM

On Sep 7, 1:30*pm, Seņor Chris wrote:
wrote:

It helps if you take the retaining pin out first.

grin

Seriously though, it shouldn't be a problem - a couple of weeks ago I
installed some Koolstop pads into Aztec holders and was able to slide
the old pads out and the new ones in by hand.

Which was my experience last time I replaced a pad (the pin failed
somehow at some point, I backed up a little with the brakes still
partly on having come to a halt to let some pedestrians across the
road and the pad fell out without me noticing. Scary)

My immediate thoughts were "are these counterfeit?" to be honest.

I might go get some Aztec ones purely for safety's sake.

POHB September 7th 09 02:14 PM

On 7 Sep, 13:49, wrote:
Seriously though, it shouldn't be a problem - a couple of weeks ago I
installed some Koolstop pads into Aztec holders and was able to slide
the old pads out and the new ones in by hand.

Which was my experience last time I replaced a pad (the pin failed
somehow at some point, I backed up a little with the brakes still
partly on having come to a halt to let some pedestrians across the
road and the pad fell out without me noticing. Scary)

My immediate thoughts were "are these counterfeit?" to be honest.

I might go get some Aztec ones purely for safety's sake.

I've been using Koolstop pads in Aztec holders for ages now.
Sometimes they go in easy, sometimes they're real stiff, I've no idea
why. I find wetting the pads (spit on them) helps them in if they're
being tricksy. I went off the Aztec pads because they seemed to wear
away the rims rather too quickly.

Seņor Chris September 7th 09 02:15 PM

wrote:

It helps if you take the retaining pin out first.

grin

Seriously though, it shouldn't be a problem - a couple of weeks ago I
installed some Koolstop pads into Aztec holders and was able to slide
the old pads out and the new ones in by hand.

Which was my experience last time I replaced a pad (the pin failed
somehow at some point, I backed up a little with the brakes still
partly on having come to a halt to let some pedestrians across the
road and the pad fell out without me noticing. Scary)

I'll remember that - sounds like a useful way to shift a stuck pad.

My immediate thoughts were "are these counterfeit?" to be honest.

I might go get some Aztec ones purely for safety's sake.

They're not expensive anyway.

Tim Hall September 7th 09 04:25 PM

Koolstop cartridge pads not fitting

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 14:15:46 +0100, Seņor Chris

snip

Which was my experience last time I replaced a pad (the pin failed
somehow at some point, I backed up a little with the brakes still
partly on having come to a halt to let some pedestrians across the
road and the pad fell out without me noticing. Scary)

I'll remember that - sounds like a useful way to shift a stuck pad.

This happened to me a quarter of the way into the Mad Jack Fuller, a
100km (or is it 150km?) audax, noted for its "scenic" content.

Oh how I laughed.

--
Tim