CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cyclecraft: being seen (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=258705)

Joy Beeson January 5th 20 05:57 AM

Cyclecraft: being seen

I can't fault the section on Being Seen that runs from page 36 to page
39 of _Cyclecraft: North American Edition_.

It begins with a very useful distinction between conspicuity and
perspicuity, and later remarks "Be careful, too, not to cause visual
confusion by using too many different devices. Good perspicuity
requires conveying simple, easy-to-decipher information about your
presence; overdoing it may be counter productive."

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/

NFN Smith[_2_] January 6th 20 11:41 PM

Cyclecraft: being seen

Joy Beeson wrote:
I can't fault the section on Being Seen that runs from page 36 to page
39 of_Cyclecraft: North American Edition_.

It begins with a very useful distinction between conspicuity and
perspicuity, and later remarks "Be careful, too, not to cause visual
confusion by using too many different devices. Good perspicuity
requires conveying simple, easy-to-decipher information about your
presence; overdoing it may be counter productive."

Interesting perspective.

I've noted before about blinking tailights, and to me, this does a nice
job of articulating why, as a motorist, I don't like the blinking
lights. To me, the problem with blinking lights is that while they're
good at getting attention, they don't give any help allowing a motorist
to gauge relative speed and distance.

Smith