CycleBanter.com

-   Australia (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Lawyer (only) fined for fatal hit-run (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=112524)

Skewer April 28th 05 05:30 PM

Lawyer (only) fined for fatal hit-run

My flight is booked.
See you (all?) there.

Skewer

Michael Warner wrote:
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:52:42 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:

Just as some of us thought, McGee gets a slap on the wrist. How long
does it take for a lawyer to earn $3K?

Sorry if it's been mentioned before, but there'll be a cyclists' protest
about the handling of this case on May 7th, meeting at Victoria Square
(centre of the city) at 9:30am and heading to Parliament House.

I'm going to make the supreme sacrifice of cutting my usual Sat morning
group ride a bit short to be there, so there'd better be some coffee
afterwards! Anyone from interstate is welcome to come over and lend
a hand :-)

LotteBum April 28th 05 11:32 PM

Lawyer (only) fined for fatal hit-run

Isn't it frightening that Shapelle Corby will more than likely spend th
rest of her days behind bars for allegedly smuggling 4.1kg of Marijuan
into Indonesia.... that seems a little excessive to me (particularly i
she's not guilty).

However, our legal system obviously (excuse what I'm about to say
s*cks big ones too - this McGee f*cker KILLED someone. Maybe ove
there he would serve the sentence he deserves...

This may offend some, but I have to say that right now, I am ashamed t
be Australian and for the first time ever, it provides me with som
relief that I am only a citizen by naturalisation and that my root
originate in a country where cyclists are shown respect (ie. my mothe
commuted 20km/day until the day before I was born). Be sure to tell m
to go back where I come from - right now nothing would bring me greate
pleasure

I'm going to buy a shotgun this weekend. I'll saw the barrell an
keeping it in my jersey pocket for emergency situations. Maybe whe
I'm lying on the side of the road, my last breath and effort can be pu
to use by shooting the f*cker responsible

Lotte (who almost got killed by a F&CKING geriatric this morning [an
what could be better when you've almost killed someone - abuse them
and on Tuesday night almost got killed by a pack of teenagers in
Barina).

P.P.S. Please excuse the anger in this post. It makes me so f*ckin
angry to know that justice is just NEVER served for those who kil
cyclists in this country. The law is so f*cking biased

--
LotteBum

cfsmtb April 29th 05 01:37 AM

Lawyer (only) fined for fatal hit-run

Had no option? This whole debacle is a crock of **** from top to botto
:mad:

BTW, those who are members of Cycling Forums, check your email.

Judge had no option but to fine lawyer for fatal hit-run
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...4/s1355967.htm

The Adelaide District Court's chief judge says the state's Criminal La
Sentencing Act left him with no option but to impose a fine on lawye
Eugene McGee for a fatal hit-and-run.

Yesterday, McGee was fined $3,100 and lost his licence for a year fo
failing to stop after hitting and killing cyclist Ian Humphrey nea
Freeling in November 2003.

McGee had faced a maximum penalty of one year in prison.

Mr Humphrey's grieving family and the Crown prosecutor had called fo
the maximum one year prison term for McGee.

However, judge Terry Worthington says under the state's Criminal La
Sentencing Act, he could not justify sending McGee to prison.

He said under the Act, judges must only hand down a prison term if i
is the sole sentencing option left available.

The chief judge said he had no reason to doubt psychiatric evidenc
that McGee had gone into a dissociative state after the crash, whic
helped explain his failure to stop and McGee's patchy memory o
events.

The South Australian Opposition is calling on the State Government t
order an independent judicial review into the handling of the case.

Shadow attorney-general Robert Lawson says an internal polic
investigation is not enough.

"It should be an outside, independent investigation of the police an
the prosecution service in the way in which this case was handled," h
said.

Specifically, Mr Lawson wants to know whether the prosecutio
adequately and appropriately addressed the defence's psychiatri
evidence.

"It raised questions about the systems that were employed right throug
the police investigation and the prosecution service," he said.

Premier Mike Rann says he will consider several options over the nex
few days.

"I'll be seeking a meeting with the Attorney-General - I want to agai
speak with Mr Humphrey's widow Di Gilchrist and I'll be making
statement to Parliament when it resumes in Mt Gambier," he said.

"I want to look at the judgment, I want to get legal advice and I'll b
making more statements about this and I'm looking at a whole range o
options."

Attorney-General Michael Atkinson has not been available for comment.

A new cyclists' lobby group says the penalty handed to McGee sends
terrible message to the community.

Darren Pollock is part of the newly-formed Wheels for Justice group
calling for better safety measures for cyclists.

"I think it's just showing you a bit of a blueprint on...if you hit-ru
you are better off running," he said.

"If you do hit a cyclist or pedestrian for that matter, there's no rea
punishment for running. I don't think any reasonable person [who] woul
think that justice has been done in this instance.

--
cfsmtb

Absent Husband April 29th 05 01:39 AM

Lawyer (only) fined for fatal hit-run

LotteBum,

Please don't go back to where you came from - I know I'd miss your
regular vitriol at the drivers of Brisbane!!

I do hear you - makes me sick that our legal system works this way. So
often, it seems, sentences for all sorts of crimes are far from a
meaningful 'punishment' and way out of touch from what the public is
expecting.

Is it because judges are loathe to impose sentences?? Is it because the
law prevents them from doing so?? Are judges simply 'out of touch'??

The Indonesian legal system obviously has some things going for it. You
see a lot more people over there who are about to be sentenced, and who
are clearly sh#tting bricks and overwhelmed by what could happen to
them. In contrast with here - where they wait "stoney-faced" in the
dock, waiting for the inevitable fine and *gasp* loss of licence
(maybe).

I'm not ashamed to be Australian. But I am ashamed & angered that our
legal system & politicians are devaluing our lives, and are avoiding
the difficult, complex process that would be the reform of this system.
THAT is un-Australian - no self-respecting Aussie ever shirks a job
because it could be hard or complicated (unless its a big hill on your
commute!!) - and we should all take the time to send an email (even
just a short, quick one) to those in power in your relevant state to
let them know.

Will it make a difference?? Who knows... But that shouldn't stop us
from doing it.

If I was in Adelaide - what I'd REALLY like to do is ride past McGee's
house once every week or so. As I zipped past, I'd toss an old water
bottle onto his front lawn with the words MURDERER written in big nikko
pen. Wonder howmuch it would cost to post one from Brisbane...

Absent Husband (who despairs at our legal system - why can't they see
the problems???)

cfsmtb April 29th 05 01:39 AM

Lawyer (only) fined for fatal hit-run

Rann kicks arse:

Lawyer's action that of a 'coward'
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...8-1246,00.html

PREMIER Mike Rann said he had "nothing but contempt" for Eugene McGee ,
after the high-profile criminal lawyer walked free from court.

Foreshadowing an announcement early next week, Mr Rann called Mr
McGee's actions in the hit-and-run accident "the worst form of
cowardice".

While not saying an appeal would be sought, Mr Rann said he was seeking
legal advice on "a number of options".

"Mr McGee, he will be known for one thing and that is the fact that he
cowardly walked away from the scene of an accident and left someone to
die - this white-feather lawyer," he said.

"Here is a man who not only ran away from the scene of an accident, but
ran away from someone left dying at the side of the road.

"There cannot be a worse form of cowardice," he said.

Mr Rann said he would seek legal advice and speak to Attorney-General
Michael Atkinson and cyclist Ian Humphrey's widow, Di Gilchrist, before
making a statement next week.

When asked if there would be an appeal, Mr Rann said "you have to ask
the DPP".

Director of Public Prosecutions Stephen Pallaras, QC, who began on
Tuesday, said he was "considering the judgment". However, he was not
prepared to give a statement last night.

Independent MP Nick Xenophon, whom the family called for support, said
it was a "dark day for justice in SA".

He called on Mr Rann to "match his powerful words with action that will
get to the truth of what happened".

"The Humphrey family didn't deserve this. What has happened has made a
mockery of our justice system."

Law Society of SA president Alexander Ward said evidence from Mr
McGee's psychiatrist had been "the key" to the judgment.

--
cfsmtb

Absent Husband April 29th 05 01:50 AM

Lawyer (only) fined for fatal hit-run

I see.

So if you are tipsy, negligent, etc, etc - then you hit a cyclist and
kill them - but then go into 'shock' for doing such a horrible,
horrible thing - its OK that you did it in the first place!!

No problem if you kill someone - just be upset about it later and
you'll be fine(d)!!

Absent Husband (this just gets worse & worse - hope that SA Premier
does back up his words with action!!)

John Henderson April 29th 05 01:54 AM

Lawyer (only) fined for fatal hit-run

cfsmtb quoted:

The chief judge said he had no reason to doubt psychiatric
evidence that McGee had gone into a dissociative state after
the crash, which helped explain his failure to stop and
McGee's patchy memory of events.

Next time I do something wrong, I must remember to enter one of
those dissociative states.

John

Tamyka Bell April 29th 05 11:34 AM

Lawyer (only) fined for fatal hit-run

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, hemyd wrote:

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, cfsmtb wrote:

snip

"I do not hate you, I pity you." Well, she's a more forgiving soul than
me. Sure, I pity him, but I hate him too. I hope he tries to drink drive
again and drives himself off a cliff, destroying is 4wd, maiming himself
and hurting no one else.

Tam - angry, angry

Tam,

Almost always when I see a news report of some hoon who wrapped his car
around a tree (or drove off a cliff) and killed himself, I don't think of it
as a tragedy, but as a good thing which will prevent him from one day
killing some innocent family (or a cyclist). There is no benevolent court
system that will undo the death of such a hoon.

Henry.

I haven't thought of it that way before, Henry,

thanks.

Tam

aeek April 29th 05 11:51 AM

Lawyer (only) fined for fatal hit-run

cfsmtb Wrote:
If anyone's else is totally appalled by this "decision", click this lin
for media/politician's contact details I posted earlier,
http://tinyurl.com/7mrtr

He could be ruining it for all drivers. (and a good thing too)
Its not just another cyclist being run down and left for dead.
Its a lawyer playing the law to get off lightly.
That's what the mass media is picking up on

--
aeek

Tamyka Bell April 29th 05 11:58 AM

Lawyer (only) fined for fatal hit-run

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, LotteBum wrote:

snip
I'm going to buy a shotgun this weekend. I'll saw the barrell and
keeping it in my jersey pocket for emergency situations. Maybe when
I'm lying on the side of the road, my last breath and effort can be put
to use by shooting the f*cker responsible.

snip

I think I'll commute with LotteBum from now on.

Tam

who takes it as a personal responsibility when driving to protect all
cyclists by ensuring that other cars can't pass too close by following the
cyclists along at 30 km/h (at a safe distance) until the cars actually
change lanes to overtake!