CycleBanter.com

-   -   Fatigue Life of Aluminum (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=254299)

JBeattie July 24th 17 02:45 AM

Fatigue Life of Aluminum

The fatigue life of aluminum is

JBeattie July 24th 17 02:52 AM

Fatigue Life of Aluminum

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 6:45:12 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
The fatigue life of aluminum is

Damn, posted prematurely. But the answer is 12 years. My Cannondale CX qua commuter bike bit the dust. I was doing my occasional maintenance -- which was extensive because the BB, RD and FD had gone to sh**. The pulleys had shark's teeth, and the FD cage had practically worn through. The BB was shot, and the bike was creaking like crazy, including a snapping sound that made be a bit nervous -- and for good reason. The left side chain stay had practically cracked all the way around. Waaah. Bike two down (Supersix in roof rack incident). I'm down to one bike -- the Roobay. Time to go on a buying spree for a fast commuter.

-- Jay Beattie.

[email protected] July 24th 17 05:38 AM

Fatigue Life of Aluminum

SUE

claim emotional distress

Loss of a beloved artform

Endangerment

[email protected] July 24th 17 05:47 AM

Fatigue Life of Aluminum

BTW. the A post is trashable

Gotta OD number ? time on roaD ?

now the ride is plastic

Howbouthat !

I npw have a plastic (vinyl) BD batt power circular saw werks AAA

Cuts tuba...amazing

John B. Slocomb July 24th 17 06:52 AM

Fatigue Life of Aluminum

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 18:45:08 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

The fatigue life of aluminum is

In 1965 or 6 I worked on DC-3's built in the 1930's. My mother had
aluminum cooking pots that she bought in ~1930 and lasted until her
death in 1992.
--
Cheers,

John B.

[email protected] July 24th 17 10:49 AM

Fatigue Life of Aluminum

Al cookware is highly suspect for causing Alzheimers

AMuzi July 24th 17 02:09 PM

Fatigue Life of Aluminum

On 7/24/2017 4:49 AM, wrote:
Al cookware is highly suspect for causing Alzheimers

Like the 'phillpis curve' and other fantasies of the 1970s,
that was roundly debunked years ago.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

David Scheidt July 24th 17 02:18 PM

Fatigue Life of Aluminum

wrote:

:The fatigue life of aluminum is

:In 1965 or 6 I worked on DC-3's built in the 1930's. My mother had

Some of those DC-3s are still working. There's someone who put turbo
props on them, even. They're not pressurized, so they dont' suffer
from pressure cycles, and they structure is such that every part can
be replaced, without too much other changes.

--
sig 22

[email protected] July 24th 17 02:46 PM

Fatigue Life of Aluminum

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 2:49:44 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Al cookware is highly suspect for causing Alzheimers

Yeah and the fact that Froome is a good rider proves that he is doping.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] July 24th 17 03:27 PM

Fatigue Life of Aluminum

On 7/23/2017 9:52 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 6:45:12 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
The fatigue life of aluminum is

Damn, posted prematurely. But the answer is 12 years. My Cannondale CX qua commuter bike bit the dust.

Back in 1978 or so, I designed and made my own handlebar bag. The bags
I had at the time had a 1/4" steel hanger frame that looped under the
stem and over the handlebar.

I decided to try an aluminum hanger frame on mine. I used a 3/8" rod of
2024, annealed it, bent it into the pretty contorted shape, then heat
treated it again. I'm sure it saved me as much as an ounce.

I wondered how soon the aluminum would fatigue. But it's been fine for
40 years now.

Time to go on a buying spree for a fast commuter.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

--
- Frank Krygowski