CycleBanter.com

-   -   Car ban during heat wave (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=256068)

Simon Jester June 30th 18 06:53 PM

Car ban during heat wave

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

[email protected] June 30th 18 07:03 PM

Car ban during heat wave

On Saturday, 30 June 2018 18:53:59 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

Also, many idiots have left children and dogs locked in cars with no windows open.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-herself.html

Simon Jester June 30th 18 07:30 PM

Car ban during heat wave

On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 7:03:27 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, 30 June 2018 18:53:59 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

Also, many idiots have left children and dogs locked in cars with no windows open.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-herself.html

My first instinct was to condemn you for posting such a tragic story.
On reflection it just highlights how dangerous cars are.
Obviously the driver meant no harm but due to the inherent danger of cars normal human behaviour can result in innocent deaths.
If the child had been in a bicycle seat this would not have happened.

[email protected] July 1st 18 08:27 PM

Car ban during heat wave

On Saturday, 30 June 2018 19:30:36 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 7:03:27 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, 30 June 2018 18:53:59 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

Also, many idiots have left children and dogs locked in cars with no windows open.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-herself.html

My first instinct was to condemn you for posting such a tragic story.
On reflection it just highlights how dangerous cars are.
Obviously the driver meant no harm but due to the inherent danger of cars normal human behaviour can result in innocent deaths.
If the child had been in a bicycle seat this would not have happened.

To be fair to the cagers, dogs can get heatstroke outside as well as in locked cars.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-weather.html

TMS320 July 2nd 18 12:00 AM

Car ban during heat wave

On 30/06/18 18:53, Simon Jester wrote:

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions
motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

60kW is on the high side. But that's just mechanical energy (which
eventually turns to heat). The total heat output from burning the fuel
is three times that.

Bret Cahill July 2nd 18 05:58 AM

Car ban during heat wave

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

Also, many idiots have left children and dogs locked in cars with no windows open.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-herself.html

My first instinct was to condemn you for posting such a tragic story.
On reflection it just highlights how dangerous cars are.
Obviously the driver meant no harm but due to the inherent danger of cars normal human behaviour can result in innocent deaths.
If the child had been in a bicycle seat this would not have happened.

To be fair to the cagers, dogs can get heatstroke outside as well as in locked cars.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-weather.html

Desert creatures, lizards, snakes, try to avoid being out in the summer heat so you are sharing the road only with your thoughts at this time of the year.

On the down side if you run out of water you waste what little energy you have left trying to chase down a distant cyclist. The cyclist turns out to be a brittle bush. You should know you are losing it but the mind is no longer working.

Simon Jester July 3rd 18 12:01 AM

Car ban during heat wave

On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 6:40:55 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 30/06/18 18:53, Simon Jester wrote:

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions
motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

60kW is on the high side. But that's just mechanical energy (which
eventually turns to heat). The total heat output from burning the fuel
is three times that.

All a cars energy comes from burning fuel and all energy becomes heat.

TMS320 July 3rd 18 09:03 AM

Car ban during heat wave

On 03/07/18 00:01, Simon Jester wrote:
On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 6:40:55 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 30/06/18 18:53, Simon Jester wrote:

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions
motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

60kW is on the high side. But that's just mechanical energy (which
eventually turns to heat). The total heat output from burning the fuel
is three times that.

All a cars energy comes from burning fuel and all energy becomes heat.

Indeed. So values are 120kW (3x30, not 3x60) running and 15kW (3x5) idling.

[email protected] July 3rd 18 01:36 PM

Car ban during heat wave

On Tuesday, 3 July 2018 09:03:10 UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 03/07/18 00:01, Simon Jester wrote:
On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 6:40:55 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 30/06/18 18:53, Simon Jester wrote:

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions
motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

60kW is on the high side. But that's just mechanical energy (which
eventually turns to heat). The total heat output from burning the fuel
is three times that.

All a cars energy comes from burning fuel and all energy becomes heat.

Indeed. So values are 120kW (3x30, not 3x60) running and 15kW (3x5) idling.

Police are now offering a free car ventilation service!
I am sure M'lud Nuglet would say that this is "criminal damage" in Nugentworld.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-hot-cars.html

[email protected] July 3rd 18 01:40 PM

Car ban during heat wave

On Tuesday, 3 July 2018 13:36:18 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

As a cyclist, if a car driver endangers MY life, can I use a D lock to smash HIS window?