CycleBanter.com

-   -   Riding snow (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=255441)

[email protected] February 1st 18 07:28 PM

Riding snow

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 12:52:32 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
http://cyclingsavvy.org/2018/01/navi...snowy-streets/

--
- Frank Krygowski

Riding in snow is fun IF you have studded bike tires. I use 35mm. Up until the snow is about 6 inches deep its fun. Once the snow gets to 1-2 feet deep, then its not fun. You sink into the snow and you cannot pedal. Even the fat bikes everyone seems to love sink into the snow and will not go.

Emanuel Berg[_2_] February 1st 18 07:56 PM

Riding snow

wrote:

Riding in snow is fun IF you have studded
bike tires. I use 35mm.

Studded tires, in my experience, is more for
ice and especially for turning on roads and
roundabouts, when the temperature is (has been)
just around 0C.

For snow you can have 56 tires which aren't
studded but have an aggressive pattern.

Up until the snow is about 6 inches deep its
fun. Once the snow gets to 1-2 feet deep,
then its not fun. You sink into the snow and
you cannot pedal. Even the fat bikes everyone
seems to love sink into the snow and will
not go.

Right, it can be snow on a regular road.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

[email protected] February 1st 18 09:40 PM

Riding snow

Op donderdag 1 februari 2018 20:28:07 UTC+1 schreef :
On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 12:52:32 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
http://cyclingsavvy.org/2018/01/navi...snowy-streets/

--
- Frank Krygowski

Riding in snow is fun IF you have studded bike tires. I use 35mm. Up until the snow is about 6 inches deep its fun. Once the snow gets to 1-2 feet deep, then its not fun. You sink into the snow and you cannot pedal. Even the fat bikes everyone seems to love sink into the snow and will not go.

We don't get snow very often here but when is does I sure go out for a ride:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oA...o/IMGP1161.JPG

Lou

Andrew Lee[_2_] February 2nd 18 04:08 PM

Riding snow

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 10:28:07 AM UTC-9, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 12:52:32 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
http://cyclingsavvy.org/2018/01/navi...snowy-streets/

--
- Frank Krygowski

Riding in snow is fun IF you have studded bike tires. I use 35mm. Up until the snow is about 6 inches deep its fun. Once the snow gets to 1-2 feet deep, then its not fun. You sink into the snow and you cannot pedal. Even the fat bikes everyone seems to love sink into the snow and will not go.

The link I posted of the fat bike is using the newly widest available 5.6" wide tires, and you can see when he gets off that it's at least 2.5 feet deep. Writing as a cross country skier that doesn't own a fat bike, that is truly impressive. He is going a lot faster than cross country skis would be able to in snow that deep. I remember taking about 3 hours to go 2 miles in snow about that deep on cross country skis when we had a dump like that 15 years ago.

Here's a comparison between 3.8" and 4.8" tires, and you can see a large difference there. 5.6" is obviously another huge step up:

https://youtu.be/0RxMGAjVX1g

..