CycleBanter.com

-   -   Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=255685)

[email protected] April 1st 18 03:24 PM

Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube

x-posted from rec.bicycles.misc

This is the bike in question:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-A...-Bike/15711186

The tire size is 28" x 1 5/8" x 1 3/8" (37 - 622) 400 x 35c
The flat tube says 700 x 35/43c

Available to me at Walmart a

Bell Inner Tube Standard
27" Asos fits 700c 28 x 32c
Fits tire width 1 1/8 - 1 1/4

------or

Bell inner Tube Presta
700c ROAD ONLY
Fits tire width 25 - 32c

AMuzi April 1st 18 03:59 PM

On 4/1/2018 9:24 AM, wrote:
x-posted from rec.bicycles.misc

This is the bike in question:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-A...-Bike/15711186

The tire size is 28" x 1 5/8" x 1 3/8" (37 - 622) 400 x 35c
The flat tube says 700 x 35/43c

Available to me at Walmart a

Bell Inner Tube Standard
27" Asos fits 700c 28 x 32c
Fits tire width 1 1/8 - 1 1/4

------or

Bell inner Tube Presta
700c ROAD ONLY
Fits tire width 25 - 32c

Either would work but if you can find a wider (700 35~45)
tube it would be better as it will not stretch as thinly to
fill your wider tire. At any rate be sure to find the cause
and correct the problem before fitting a new tube.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Tim McNamara April 1st 18 04:04 PM

Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube

On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 07:24:23 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
x-posted from rec.bicycles.misc

This is the bike in question:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-A...-Bike/15711186

The tire size is 28" x 1 5/8" x 1 3/8" (37 - 622) 400 x 35c The flat
tube says 700 x 35/43c

So, tire sizing is a confusing mess because there are multiple labeling
standards across the world. The one to pay attention to is the one that
says 37-622; that is the international standard labeling and all current
tires and tubes are marked with that. 37 is the width in mm for the
tire, and 622 is the diameter of the tire bead in mm.

This is the silliest aspect of bikes, IMHO. It happened from bikes
being made to local standards in multiple countries, then international
trade happened.

27" and 622 are close enough that the tubes are interchageable.

Available to me at Walmart a

Bell Inner Tube Standard 27" Asos fits 700c 28 x 32c Fits tire width 1
1/8 - 1 1/4

------or

Bell inner Tube Presta 700c ROAD ONLY Fits tire width 25 - 32c

And the other issue: there are two commonly used types of valves for
bike tires. The Schrader valve looks like the one used on car tires.
The Presta valve is more or less specific to bikes. They are sized
differently- the hole in the rim for the Schrader valve is much larger
than that for the Presta valve. You do need to match the valve to the
rim.

Both of those tubes are are a little too skinny for that width of tire
to be ideal. They'll both work with the tire, once you have the valve
choice selected, but the tube will be stretched a little thin and more
vulnerable to more punctures. You want one in a range that includes 37
mm (say, "fits 35/43 mm").

Perhaps there is a local bike shop, which would have a better choice of
tubes?

Also, patching your existing tube could be an option. There are videos
on YouTube to walk you through it, if necessary. A patch kit costs
about what a tube does and will repair puncures in 6-8 inner tubes.

[email protected] April 1st 18 04:31 PM

Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube

On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 7:59:56 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

snip

Either would work but if you can find a wider (700 35~45)
tube it would be better as it will not stretch as thinly to
fill your wider tire. At any rate be sure to find the cause
and correct the problem before fitting a new tube.

Thanks for the response.

At any rate be sure to find the cause and correct the problem before fitting a new tube.

Flat tube when pumped up was leaking out of a patch : ) I did not see any damage to the tire inside or out where the patch occurred and the rim appeared smooth.

The schrader/ presta fix I was referring to is here. Do you have any opinion? TIA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76AQ8RFvCX4&t=127s

[email protected] April 1st 18 04:42 PM

Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube

On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 8:04:51 AM UTC-7, Tim McNamara wrote:

snip

So, tire sizing is a confusing mess because there are multiple labeling
standards across the world.

Preaching to the choir : )

The one to pay attention to is the one that
says 37-622; that is the international standard labeling and all current
tires and tubes are marked with that. 37 is the width in mm for the
tire, and 622 is the diameter of the tire bead in mm.

This is the silliest aspect of bikes, IMHO. It happened from bikes
being made to local standards in multiple countries, then international
trade happened.

27" and 622 are close enough that the tubes are interchageable.

OK. Thanks

Available to me at Walmart a

Bell Inner Tube Standard 27" Asos fits 700c 28 x 32c Fits tire width 1
1/8 - 1 1/4

------or

Bell inner Tube Presta 700c ROAD ONLY Fits tire width 25 - 32c

And the other issue: there are two commonly used types of valves for
bike tires. The Schrader valve looks like the one used on car tires.
The Presta valve is more or less specific to bikes.

Right. That is the problem. On my generic mountain bikes all I have ever seen is the Schrader valve. This is my nieces bike that I am looking at and the flat tube does indeed have a Schrader valve but when I went into Walmart at first glance it seemed that the tube that they had that would best fit the bike was the one with a Presta valve which was new to me : )

They are sized
differently- the hole in the rim for the Schrader valve is much larger
than that for the Presta valve. You do need to match the valve to the
rim.

Well, that looks like a problem then since I am not going to be changing the rim out. It looks like I need to find a tube with another Schrader valve. You seem to indicate below that I can make this one work:

Bell Inner Tube Standard
27" Asos fits 700c 28 x 32c
Fits tire width 1 1/8 - 1 1/4

Both of those tubes are are a little too skinny for that width of tire
to be ideal. They'll both work with the tire, once you have the valve
choice selected, but the tube will be stretched a little thin and more
vulnerable to more punctures. You want one in a range that includes 37
mm (say, "fits 35/43 mm").

Also, patching your existing tube could be an option.

The flat tube when pumped up was leaking air from where it was already patched before. I think I want to go with a new tube.

If I decide to go with the Presta tube can I just stuff cloth say around the skinny Presta valve or is that just stupid?

AMuzi April 1st 18 05:08 PM

On 4/1/2018 10:31 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 7:59:56 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

snip

Either would work but if you can find a wider (700 35~45)
tube it would be better as it will not stretch as thinly to
fill your wider tire. At any rate be sure to find the cause
and correct the problem before fitting a new tube.

Thanks for the response.

At any rate be sure to find the cause and correct the problem before fitting a new tube.

Flat tube when pumped up was leaking out of a patch : ) I did not see any damage to the tire inside or out where the patch occurred and the rim appeared smooth.

The schrader/ presta fix I was referring to is here. Do you have any opinion? TIA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76AQ8RFvCX4&t=127s

Both valves work; indulge your preference or superstition.
You can put small things like Presta valves into big holes
like Schrader rims but not the other way around without some
metalwork.

Unless you have some need or desire to change, replace with
whichever valve was original.

AMuzi April 1st 18 05:11 PM

On 4/1/2018 10:42 AM, wrote:
[...]

In our experience the various adapters to plump up a skinny
Presta valve in a Schrader rim are not necessary. No harm at
all but generally not needed. SV are cheaper and since it's
not your bike I'd stay with Schrader lest the owner be
confounded over two different valves on her bike.

SMS April 1st 18 06:44 PM

wrote:
[...]

A couple of bucks more for a quality tube that's the proper size:
https://www.schwalbetires.com/tube_finder?term_node_tid_depth=246&246=on&field_t ube__etrto__value_many_to_one=622-37&field_tube_size_inch_value_many_to_one=All&fiel d_size_french_value_many_to_one=All&term_node_tid_ depth_1=272

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Schwalbe-AV-17-700-x-28-45c-Schrader-40mm/272699441727?epid=10014490669&hash=item3f7e27423f: g:iP8AAOSw~4taZ41X

Duane[_4_] April 1st 18 06:50 PM

wrote:
On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 7:59:56 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

snip

Either would work but if you can find a wider (700 35~45)
tube it would be better as it will not stretch as thinly to
fill your wider tire. At any rate be sure to find the cause
and correct the problem before fitting a new tube.

Thanks for the response.

At any rate be sure to find the cause and correct the problem before fitting a new tube.

Flat tube when pumped up was leaking out of a patch : ) I did not see any
damage to the tire inside or out where the patch occurred and the rim appeared smooth.

The schrader/ presta fix I was referring to is here. Do you have any opinion? TIA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76AQ8RFvCX4&t=127s

Going with the concept that the simplest solution is usually the correct
one, I would say to buy the type of tire made for the type of rim that you
have. In this case a Schraeder valve. Why would you be limited to what is
available at Wal-Mart? A local bike shop sounds like your best bet and in
addition to finding you a tube, they should be able to answer your
questions.

I see no value in trying to get a presto tube to work in a rim made for a
schraeder tube. Seems like just asking for trouble.

--
duane

Dennis Davis[_2_] April 1st 18 09:04 PM

Help With Choosing 700c Inner Tube

In article ,
Duane wrote:

I see no value in trying to get a presto tube to work in a rim made
for a schraeder tube. Seems like just asking for trouble.

Works for me. I just use a Mavic Schrader to Presta Rim Valve
Converter in each rim. They're just simple plastic inserts that
reduce the diameter of the hole that takes the valve.
--
Dennis Davis