CycleBanter.com

CycleBanter.com (http://www.cyclebanter.com/index.php)
-   Australia (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   cleaning fun...(not) (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=56216)

Cody October 8th 03 03:37 AM

Hosing a bike
 

"Not Very" wrote in message
...
On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 13:28:55 GMT, Arpit
wrote:

Is it ok to hose a bike to clean it?


Not under current water restrictions if you are in Sydney.


Just stand the bike on the lawn and water the lawn.



Cody October 8th 03 03:37 AM

Hosing a bike
 

"Not Very" wrote in message
...
On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 13:28:55 GMT, Arpit
wrote:

Is it ok to hose a bike to clean it?


Not under current water restrictions if you are in Sydney.


Just stand the bike on the lawn and water the lawn.



Arpit October 8th 03 12:11 PM

Hosing a bike
 
On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 21:03:37 GMT, "Suzy Jackson"
wrote:

"Arpit" wrote in message
.. .
Is it ok to hose a bike to clean it?


Not with the water restrictions. Use a bucket.

Regards,

Suzy


I dunno what your personal attitude is on this, but I hosed my bike
thhe other day, I used really low pressure, just to get the ugly mud
off. More pressure than rain - I didn it while it was raining (i had
just come back from a cycle) but I certainly used less than necessary
to fill a bucket. Maybe reused washing water would be in order- its
soapy so thats good I guess. SO what are these water restrictions- no
hosing whatsoever?

Arpit October 8th 03 12:11 PM

Hosing a bike
 
On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 21:03:37 GMT, "Suzy Jackson"
wrote:

"Arpit" wrote in message
.. .
Is it ok to hose a bike to clean it?


Not with the water restrictions. Use a bucket.

Regards,

Suzy


I dunno what your personal attitude is on this, but I hosed my bike
thhe other day, I used really low pressure, just to get the ugly mud
off. More pressure than rain - I didn it while it was raining (i had
just come back from a cycle) but I certainly used less than necessary
to fill a bucket. Maybe reused washing water would be in order- its
soapy so thats good I guess. SO what are these water restrictions- no
hosing whatsoever?

Arpit October 8th 03 12:15 PM

cleaning fun...(not)
 
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 11:39:08 +1000, "Deep Freud Moors"
wrote:

gravelmuncher wrote in message
...
Anonymous wrote:
Tim Jones wrote:
Other than expensive bike store lubricant, what do people use for
oiling their chain?

Motorcycle chain oil?
Sure, thats good for regular riding. Its penetrating, and easy to
apply. But like any oil, dirt sticks. So if you ride in dirt, consider
a dry lube. It needs to be applied much more often though. And its

only
the inside of the chain that needs to be lubed, so wipe excess oil off
the outside.




I found a spray/lube/displacer with zonyl in it, so i'll give it a go.
You see, I've just bought a new Trek 1400 and i'm absolutely terrified
that i'll do something to hurt it. I've also heard that it's best to
clean the chain on the bike, as breaking the chain only shortens the
lifespan of that particular link(???) kinda makes sense really.


It's a problem with cheap and nasty chains. After a while though, you do get
good at breaking chains though. Oiling the link before breaking it can do
wonders (would you believe???). And naturally breaking it at a different
point each time makes sense.


ssigh, my chain appears to be rivetted together, no breaking for me :(
Although, the same person says not to run a hose over the bike so as not
to get water in bearings - but what about rain? and how the hell are you
to get the damn soap off?! So now my pride and joy is getting dirtier
and i'm still scared i'm gonna stuff something. I did buy some kerosene
to degrease it though...guess now i just need to figure the best way to
go about it.


With regards to your bearings, if they are well packed with grease, getting
water in should not be a big problem. The primary purpose of the grease is
not lubrication, but to keep dirt and water out. Dirt and poorly adjusted
cones are the two things that will kill bearings and cones faster than
anything else.

There are super-greases, like MBL, which definitely do assist in
lubrication, but you have to reapply it pretty regularly. The benefits of
the reduced friction are very small.
---
DFM



Arpit October 8th 03 12:15 PM

cleaning fun...(not)
 
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 11:39:08 +1000, "Deep Freud Moors"
wrote:

gravelmuncher wrote in message
...
Anonymous wrote:
Tim Jones wrote:
Other than expensive bike store lubricant, what do people use for
oiling their chain?

Motorcycle chain oil?
Sure, thats good for regular riding. Its penetrating, and easy to
apply. But like any oil, dirt sticks. So if you ride in dirt, consider
a dry lube. It needs to be applied much more often though. And its

only
the inside of the chain that needs to be lubed, so wipe excess oil off
the outside.




I found a spray/lube/displacer with zonyl in it, so i'll give it a go.
You see, I've just bought a new Trek 1400 and i'm absolutely terrified
that i'll do something to hurt it. I've also heard that it's best to
clean the chain on the bike, as breaking the chain only shortens the
lifespan of that particular link(???) kinda makes sense really.


It's a problem with cheap and nasty chains. After a while though, you do get
good at breaking chains though. Oiling the link before breaking it can do
wonders (would you believe???). And naturally breaking it at a different
point each time makes sense.


ssigh, my chain appears to be rivetted together, no breaking for me :(
Although, the same person says not to run a hose over the bike so as not
to get water in bearings - but what about rain? and how the hell are you
to get the damn soap off?! So now my pride and joy is getting dirtier
and i'm still scared i'm gonna stuff something. I did buy some kerosene
to degrease it though...guess now i just need to figure the best way to
go about it.


With regards to your bearings, if they are well packed with grease, getting
water in should not be a big problem. The primary purpose of the grease is
not lubrication, but to keep dirt and water out. Dirt and poorly adjusted
cones are the two things that will kill bearings and cones faster than
anything else.

There are super-greases, like MBL, which definitely do assist in
lubrication, but you have to reapply it pretty regularly. The benefits of
the reduced friction are very small.
---
DFM



hippy October 8th 03 01:12 PM

Hosing a bike
 
"Cody" wrote in message
...
Just stand the bike on the lawn and water the lawn.


Well, in Melbourne you aren't allowed to water your
lawn as far as I'm aware.. and a good thing too.
Silly english lawns in this country! pfft!

hippy
If my plants can't live without me maintaining
them, it wasn't meant to be ;-)



hippy October 8th 03 01:12 PM

Hosing a bike
 
"Cody" wrote in message
...
Just stand the bike on the lawn and water the lawn.


Well, in Melbourne you aren't allowed to water your
lawn as far as I'm aware.. and a good thing too.
Silly english lawns in this country! pfft!

hippy
If my plants can't live without me maintaining
them, it wasn't meant to be ;-)



Arpit October 9th 03 05:35 AM

Hosing a bike
 
Yeah, I had a look, bicycle isnt counted in the restrictions ;) still,
thats a technicality


On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 21:03:37 GMT, "Suzy Jackson"
wrote:

"Arpit" wrote in message
.. .
Is it ok to hose a bike to clean it?


Not with the water restrictions. Use a bucket.

Regards,

Suzy



Arpit October 9th 03 05:35 AM

Hosing a bike
 
Yeah, I had a look, bicycle isnt counted in the restrictions ;) still,
thats a technicality


On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 21:03:37 GMT, "Suzy Jackson"
wrote:

"Arpit" wrote in message
.. .
Is it ok to hose a bike to clean it?


Not with the water restrictions. Use a bucket.

Regards,

Suzy




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:43 PM.
Home - Home - Home - Home - Home

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CycleBanter.com