CycleBanter.com

-   -   The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=57910)

bikerider7 May 23rd 04 08:35 PM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

[Note: I have not been on Blackfriars bridge, and the article seems
quite
vague on the "problem" with this particular cycle lane....]

Scandal of our deadly cycle lanes

The dangerous road layout that has claimed one life in London is now
being promoted across the country as a model of good design

Mark Townsend
Sunday May 23, 2004
The Observer

Vicki McCreery had predicted the journey home might kill her. Days
before she was crushed by a five-ton bus, she had told friends a new
cycle lane over Blackfriars bridge in London would claim lives.
As hundreds of people gathered for her funeral in north London
yesterday, relatives demanded to know why a lane meant to protect
cyclists from other road users had cost the 37-year-old
physiotherapist her life.

The lane had been in place barely two weeks before she died almost
instantly following a rush-hour collision near the crest of the
bridge. Safety campaigners are stunned that permission was granted for
a narrow cycle lane sandwiched between two fast-moving carriageways
and one of London's busiest bus routes. Worse still, a steady convoy
of buses is allowed to veer across the thin path reserved for
cyclists.

As McCreery forecast, a fatality was inevitable. Her death has already
become emblematic for groups which claim the tragedy exposes the
hypocrisy behind government initiatives to raise the number of
cyclists. Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott has promised a 200 per
cent increase by 2010, a figure already dismissed as too ambitious.
Failure to convert more people to two wheels is blamed largely on the
introduction of lanes similar to that on which McCreery died.

Those cyclists courageous enough to use Blackfriars bridge admit to
shuddering as they reach its northbound approaches. As McCreery would
have done in her final moments, they talk of feeling intensely exposed
as dense commuter traffic flashes by on their right while buses
undercut them on their left.

'She felt intimidated by the new crossing. She was extremely concerned
about her safety, but it was the only route she could cycle home,'
said a friend.

Despite the design's obvious risks, it has emerged that the layout at
Blackfriars is encouraged by the government - recommended as a best
practice design in traffic advisory leaflets distributed to local
councils.

Road safety groups claim similar layouts, described as 'death traps'
by users, are being rolled out across Britain. Near-identical replicas
of the design can be found from Bristol to Brighton. Residents near
each site are amazed that tragic accidents have not happened yet.

Their warnings of more deaths may prove fruitless. More than 14 months
ago safety campaigners warned Transport for London that changes to the
Blackfriars cycle lane could prove dangerous and might not solve the
route's inherent danger.

They cited the case of grandfather Kim Thi, who died 15 months ago
after being struck by a motorbike at almost the exact point where a
bunch of tulips now marks the place where Vicki McCreery died.

Shortly before her death, she had seen a fellow cyclist knocked off
her bike by a bus. McCreery, the senior physiotherapist at St Thomas'
Hospital, south London, offered to be a witness for the shaken but
fortunate fellow cyclist.

In other European countries similar collisions are unlikely. Denmark
and Holland are among those offering cyclists segregated tracks. High
kerbs and special filter lanes ensure traffic cannot get near them.

Failure to mimic such designs partly explains, say road safety groups,
why UK cyclists are 10 times more likely to be killed or injured than
those in Denmark. Danish cyclists would find it astonishing that UK
law still allows motorists to drive on to many cycle lanes. They too
might question the continued practice of squeezing such lanes on to
busy roads that can barely accommodate two lines of traffic.

Such practices, maintain experts, help explain the stream of
casualties among British cyclists. This month at least seven have been
killed after being struck by traffic. Most stood no chance.

The toll is relentless: every two and a half days a cyclist is killed.
During the same period 115 are injured. Latest figures reveal that 141
cyclists are killed each year. More than 17,000 are injured.

How many of these accident happen in cycle lanes is unclear: the
government does not collate such figures. Nor does it have a central
database on cycle lane designs which have been condemned as dangerous.

Roger Geffen, campaigns manager at the national cycling body, the
Cyclists' Touring Club, said a cultural shift was needed so that local
authorities considered cycle lanes more carefully. They had 'been left
to the most junior planning officers, and we need better guidance on
dealing with major junctions.'

Tony Russell, who advises councils on safer cycle lanes for the club,
said: 'There are situations where designs put the cyclist in a more
dangerous position. Most accidents, though, are caused by motorists
not being careful.'

McCreery's husband, Sandy, knows all too well the risks posed by
errant drivers. He runs Middlesex University's MA course in spatial
culture and has studied city centre traffic dangers. In an eerily
prescient passage he once wrote: 'Allowing hard, heavy speeding
vehicles to come into contact with fleshy mortals is a recipe for
disaster.'

This week he will take his wife's ashes to her native Australia. On
his return, he plans to visit Blackfriars bridge for the first time
since Vicki died. They married just over a year ago and had talked of
starting a family.

Meanwhile, experts from Transport for London will go on investigating
whether the new layout, initially verified in an independent safety
audit, needs updating.

Nathaniel Porter May 23rd 04 08:46 PM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

I find it worrying that the article suggests segregation is the solution.
Dedicated cycleways have their place, but we must never lose sight of the
fact that all vehicles (regardless of their means of propultion) have equal
rights to use the road.

MSeries May 23rd 04 09:43 PM

Nathaniel Porter wrote:
I find it worrying that the article suggests segregation is the
solution. Dedicated cycleways have their place, but we must never
lose sight of the fact that all vehicles (regardless of their means
of propultion) have equal rights to use the road.

Thing is in Denmark when a cycle lane is provided, they MUST be used and you
don't have the right to ride on the road.

Nathaniel Porter May 23rd 04 09:48 PM

"MSeries" wrote in message
Nathaniel Porter wrote:
I find it worrying that the article suggests segregation is the
solution. Dedicated cycleways have their place, but we must never
lose sight of the fact that all vehicles (regardless of their means
of propultion) have equal rights to use the road.

Thing is in Denmark when a cycle lane is provided, they MUST be used and

you
don't have the right to ride on the road.

Which is wrong IMHO.

IIRC Ireland has similar rules.

John Mallard May 23rd 04 09:51 PM

MSeries wrote:
Nathaniel Porter wrote:
I find it worrying that the article suggests segregation is the
solution. Dedicated cycleways have their place, but we must never
lose sight of the fact that all vehicles (regardless of their means
of propultion) have equal rights to use the road.

Thing is in Denmark when a cycle lane is provided, they MUST be used
and you don't have the right to ride on the road.

This has always been my greatest fear. That one day the buggers will
realise that they only need to spend a bit more money on cycle farcilities
and then vote us off the road altogether.

--
Cheerful Pedalling
John Mallard

Tumbleweed May 23rd 04 11:07 PM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

"bikerider7" wrote in message
om...
[...]

One must also take responsibility for ones own safety. If there was a
section of road that you believe was dangerous, why not get off before it
and walk past that bit? Surely its madness to cycle on a bit of road you
believe to be dangerous, just because someone painted the words 'cycle lane'
on it?
--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Velvet May 23rd 04 11:52 PM

Tumbleweed wrote:

One must also take responsibility for ones own safety. If there was a
section of road that you believe was dangerous, why not get off before it
and walk past that bit? Surely its madness to cycle on a bit of road you
believe to be dangerous, just because someone painted the words 'cycle lane'
on it?

I've cycled this, though well out of rush hour (mid-afternoon on a
saturday of a bank holiday weekend, so probably about as non-busy as you
can get). I was conscious of being very vulnerable between two lanes -
cycling over the bridge with a lane each side made it feel quite
precarious. I know the bridge (and it's traffic) well, since I drove
in/around london very frequently as an engineer (and will likely do so
again shortly) - where I would assume from the conditions when I cycled
it to be fairly innocuous and reasonably safe, I had mental images of
what it's REALLY like in normal traffic as I cycled over it, and they
were none too pleasant, and downright scary!

I also had to deal with a bus that I followed through the junction on
the south side heading north, which stopped in it's bus stop to the left
of the cycle lane, while I caught up and cycled past.

I found that quite concerning, and initially I hung back while I made
sure it was probably going to stay put till I was past it, then cycled
past as fast as I could to get in front (and thus hopefully within the
driver's field of view).

Also, I found being quite slow on the initially stage where you climb to
the top of the bridge makes things worse. The cycle lane is quite wide
(as cycle lanes go) but being a solitary cyclist with so much
car/bus/van space around you feels unsafe. I spent a lot of time
looking in my mirror/around me as I crossed the bridge, expecting at any
moment to have to deal with idiot drivers of larger vehicles cutting
across my path. I was surprised when this didn't happen. I think I'd
have to seriously evaluate if there's a better way to cross the bridge
if I ever cycled it again - whether that's staying in the far left lane
until you get to the far side of the bridge before moving right to avoid
going down the slip road, or dismount and cross as a pedestrian, I don't
know... as I said, more investigation would be needed.

On the other hand, there's not really any excuse for not being aware of
what's around you on a multi-lane road like that, especially since it's
very common in london to have cars/buses/taxi's cutting other
cars/buses/taxi's up - the bus really shouldn't have pulled across the
cycle lane without looking (and seeing) a cyclist.

I have to say, if I was as concerned as she seemed to be, I'd have been
on foot - it's quite common for me to revert to pedestrianing around
junctions that I don't feel safe cycling, but I can understand the
resentment that would lead to not wanting to be forced to be a slow
bike-pushing pedestrian by a bad cycle lane.

--

Velvet

Patrick Herring May 24th 04 01:05 AM

"John Mallard" not_me@all wrote:

| MSeries wrote:
| Nathaniel Porter wrote:
| I find it worrying that the article suggests segregation is the
| solution. Dedicated cycleways have their place, but we must never
| lose sight of the fact that all vehicles (regardless of their means
| of propultion) have equal rights to use the road.
|
| Thing is in Denmark when a cycle lane is provided, they MUST be used
| and you don't have the right to ride on the road.

Also in Holland IIRC.

| This has always been my greatest fear. That one day the buggers will
| realise that they only need to spend a bit more money on cycle farcilities
| and then vote us off the road altogether.

But why - if the road has no attached cycle way you could go on the
road, if it does it'll be better than the road (for security anyway).
I suppose you might say that drivers will get used to not having to
think about cyclists so will be worse when they have to share, but
separate lanes will get many more cycling and we just might end up
like Holland and Denmark.

--
Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK
http://www.anweald.co.uk

Mark Thompson May 24th 04 06:26 AM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

| This has always been my greatest fear. That one day the buggers will
| realise that they only need to spend a bit more money on cycle
| farcilities and then vote us off the road altogether.

But why - if the road has no attached cycle way you could go on the
road, if it does it'll be better than the road (for security anyway).
I suppose you might say that drivers will get used to not having to
think about cyclists so will be worse when they have to share, but
separate lanes will get many more cycling and we just might end up
like Holland and Denmark.

It's 'cos impatient/late buggers like me like to get there at more than
12mph. On my (v. short) commute I try and keep my speed at 20mph. There's
no way I could do that on most cycle paths and it would be the height of
stupidity to do it on a shared use footpath, even if it was deserted enough
to be possible.

Added to the reduction in speed negotiating junctions would be more time
consuming. On the road I can just do a left turn, right turn or go
straight ahead at speed (if nothing coming). On a cyclepath I'd have to
slow down a lot/stop to let traffic past and check it was clear when I
could just sail past with right of way on the road.

I don't find the roads unsafe and do find many cycle lanes off the road too
slow to bother with. Trundlies may have a different view I s'pose.

Tony Raven May 24th 04 07:29 AM

Patrick Herring wrote:

But why - if the road has no attached cycle way you could go on the
road, if it does it'll be better than the road (for security anyway).
I suppose you might say that drivers will get used to not having to
think about cyclists so will be worse when they have to share, but
separate lanes will get many more cycling and we just might end up
like Holland and Denmark.

Bach, Rosbach, Joergensen. Vejdirekforatet, Denmark, 1988

Traffic safety of cycle tracks in Danish cities.
Before and after study of 105 new cycle paths in Denmark, introduced 1978-81,
totalling 64km. Cyclist casualties increased 48% following introduction of
paths.

Wegman, Dijkstra. SWOV, Netherlands, 1992.
Originally presented to Roads and Traffic 2000 conference, Berlin, 1988;
Revised version included in Still more bikes behind the dikes, CROW, 1992.

In built-up areas cycle tracks 25% safer than unsegregated road between
junctions, but 32% more dangerous at junctions. Cycle lanes 36% more dangerous
between junctions, 19% safer at junctions. Seriousness of accidents greater if
tracks or lanes present compared with no facilities. Cycle lanes narrower than
1.8m particularly hazardous.
Outside towns, cycle track safety depends on car and cycle numbers.
New cross-town routes in Den Haag and Tilburg had produced no safety gain and
had not encouraged much new cycling.

Tony

John Hearns May 24th 04 09:17 AM

On Sun, 23 May 2004 23:07:10 +0100, Tumbleweed wrote:

One must also take responsibility for ones own safety. If there was a
section of road that you believe was dangerous, why not get off before it
and walk past that bit? Surely its madness to cycle on a bit of road you
believe to be dangerous, just because someone painted the words 'cycle lane'
on it?

True.
However, I've commuted in London a lot, and I have used that lane
when I've gone over that bridge (not commuting). I remember thinking it
was pretty dangerous.
The reason you do want to stay in that lane is the junction at the end.
There are three lanes, the left one is a left-turn-only onto Embankment.
So you stay in the lane to avoid a late cross over to the right.

Another point to make is about beginning cyclists - they will naturally
follow the cycle lanes. They won't have your level of experience in
deciding yay or nay to ignore the lane to keep yourself safe.

Velvet May 24th 04 09:24 AM

Patrick Herring wrote:

"John Mallard" not_me@all wrote:

| MSeries wrote:
| Nathaniel Porter wrote:
| I find it worrying that the article suggests segregation is the
| solution. Dedicated cycleways have their place, but we must never
| lose sight of the fact that all vehicles (regardless of their means
| of propultion) have equal rights to use the road.
|
| Thing is in Denmark when a cycle lane is provided, they MUST be used
| and you don't have the right to ride on the road.

Also in Holland IIRC.

| This has always been my greatest fear. That one day the buggers will
| realise that they only need to spend a bit more money on cycle farcilities
| and then vote us off the road altogether.

But why - if the road has no attached cycle way you could go on the
road, if it does it'll be better than the road (for security anyway).
I suppose you might say that drivers will get used to not having to
think about cyclists so will be worse when they have to share, but
separate lanes will get many more cycling and we just might end up
like Holland and Denmark.

Because if the drivers know there's a cycle lane and you're on the road,
they'll hurl abuse at you (get on the cycle path you ****ing ****er etc)
and occasionally one'll run you off the road just for good measure...

And most off-road cycle ways are bumpier, ruttier, full of
glass/thorns/other muck, badly maintained, and force you to cycle very
slowly for fear of a reversing out the drive accident, and to stop every
time you get to a side road.

The condition of the cycle path might be of no consequence to those with
suspension or mtb's, but on a tourer they're a bloody pain in the neck
to ride any distance at all on.

--

Velvet

Richard May 24th 04 09:24 AM

Patrick Herring wrote:

"John Mallard" not_me@all wrote:

| MSeries wrote:
| Nathaniel Porter wrote:
| I find it worrying that the article suggests segregation is the
| solution. Dedicated cycleways have their place, but we must never
| lose sight of the fact that all vehicles (regardless of their means
| of propultion) have equal rights to use the road.
|
| Thing is in Denmark when a cycle lane is provided, they MUST be used
| and you don't have the right to ride on the road.

Also in Holland IIRC.

| This has always been my greatest fear. That one day the buggers will
| realise that they only need to spend a bit more money on cycle farcilities
| and then vote us off the road altogether.

But why - if the road has no attached cycle way you could go on the
road, if it does it'll be better than the road (for security anyway).

Not at all - see the report into, eg, the Milton Keynes off-road bike
paths. Crime is higher. Accidents are higher at junctions.

Peter Clinch May 24th 04 09:44 AM

Velvet wrote:

The condition of the cycle path might be of no consequence to those with
suspension or mtb's, but on a tourer they're a bloody pain in the neck
to ride any distance at all on.

While not in any way disagreeing with your point, it should be pointed
out that "tourer" and "suspension" need not be mutually exclusive terms,
and you don't even need to get a recumbent. Moulton T21 and R&M Delite
Black (or Grey) are both full-sus dedicated touring uprights, for example.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

David Hansen May 24th 04 10:00 AM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

On Mon, 24 May 2004 00:05:58 GMT someone who may be
(Patrick Herring) wrote this:-

But why - if the road has no attached cycle way you could go on the
road, if it does it'll be better than the road (for security anyway).

What do you mean by security?

If you mean safer from motorists the answer is no according to the
figures. If you mean safer from muggers the answer is no, for fairly
obvious reasons.

separate lanes will get many more cycling

So it is claimed.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

David Hansen May 24th 04 10:04 AM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

On Sun, 23 May 2004 23:07:10 +0100 someone who may be "Tumbleweed"
wrote this:-

One must also take responsibility for ones own safety. If there was a
section of road that you believe was dangerous,

All sections of road are dangerous, not in themselves but because of
the people using them. The question is relative danger.

why not get off before it and walk past that bit?

I'm sure the road builders would love that. Another way to get these
dammed cyclists off the road.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

David Hansen May 24th 04 10:05 AM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

On Sun, 23 May 2004 21:43:19 +0100 someone who may be "MSeries"
wrote this:-

Thing is in Denmark when a cycle lane is provided, they MUST be used and you
don't have the right to ride on the road.

Germany changed that rule. I thought similar consideration was being
given in Denmark and the Netherlands.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Simon Brooke May 24th 04 11:35 AM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

in message , Patrick Herring
') wrote:

But why - if the road has no attached cycle way you could go on the
road, if it does it'll be better than the road (for security anyway).

No, it won't. On average, cycle ways are very much _less_ safe for
cyclists than normal roads. Read the research. Of course there may be
some cycle ways which are safer, but at present they;re the exception
not the rule and I think that's true for every country in which the
issue has been studied.

;; Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us
;; many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets.
;; Imagination without skill gives us modern art.
;; Tom Stoppard, Artist Descending A Staircase

Dave Kahn May 24th 04 11:35 AM

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message ...

One must also take responsibility for ones own safety. If there was a
section of road that you believe was dangerous, why not get off before it
and walk past that bit? Surely its madness to cycle on a bit of road you
believe to be dangerous, just because someone painted the words 'cycle lane'
on it?

If I walked every stretch of unsuitable cycle lane it would convert
about 6 miles of my daily total from cycling to walking. I'm sure one
of the reasons we see so many pavement cyclists these days is that
that is the solution they have adopted to these dangerous cycle lanes.

--
Dave...

Velvet May 24th 04 12:19 PM

Peter Clinch wrote:

Velvet wrote:

The condition of the cycle path might be of no consequence to those
with suspension or mtb's, but on a tourer they're a bloody pain in the
neck to ride any distance at all on.

While not in any way disagreeing with your point, it should be pointed
out that "tourer" and "suspension" need not be mutually exclusive terms,
and you don't even need to get a recumbent. Moulton T21 and R&M Delite
Black (or Grey) are both full-sus dedicated touring uprights, for example.

Pete.

True, but even so, I'm not sure the majority of tourers that are about
on the roads actually have full-sus.. and I fail to see why I should
have to buy a bike with suspension just to be able to ride on shoddy tarmac.

If they're going to put in cycle facilities then at the very least the
surface should mean all bikes should be able to use them, not just a
sub-set of bikes.

IMNSHO :-)

--

Velvet

David Arditti May 24th 04 12:21 PM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

[Note: I have not been on Blackfriars bridge, and the article seems
quite
vague on the "problem" with this particular cycle lane....]

Scandal of our deadly cycle lanes snip

Good article, which sounds like it was written by a cyclist, though I think
the figure that UK cyclists are 10 times more likely to be killed or injured
than those in Denmark is probably an exaggeration. Data I have studied (per
person km cycled) indicates the ratio is more like 2 or 3.

The problem on Blackfriars Bridge is essentially the high speeds, the long,
exposed nature of the cycle lane between an ahead and a left-turn lane, and
the way buses have to cross the lanes to stop to the left of the left lane
and then get into the ahead lane again. The design cannot overcome the
inherent conflict between trying to have a priority cycle route running
ahead and a high-capacity left filter for other vehicles on the same road,
and is a prime example of confused thinking about such things.

The article also brings up problems with the position of CTC in the
statements by Geffen and Russell (both of whom I know). The author rightly
attacks the British systems compared to the far better segregated bike
engineering of The Netherlands and Denmark. But CTC has always tended to
oppose the segregating of cyclists and motor vehicles on British roads,
wrong-headedly (in my view) fearing it that creates more danger and
marginalisation for the cyclist - when anyone who looks at the situation in
continental countries can see that exactly the reverse is true - the danger
and marginalisation occur here, where we try to combine cyclists and motors
in the same unsegregated space, not there. Russell saying "most accidents
are caused by motorists not being careful" is a silly statement as it misses
the point. We all know that. The object of cycle engineering is to protect
cyclists from the mistakes of motorists.

David Arditti

Helen Deborah Vecht May 24th 04 12:48 PM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

David Arditti typed

The object of cycle engineering is to protect
cyclists from the mistakes of motorists.

Which this cycle farcility has evidently failed to do, with tragic
results. Such failures are not uncommon. :-(

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

David Hansen May 24th 04 01:26 PM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

On Mon, 24 May 2004 12:21:47 +0100 someone who may be David Arditti
wrote this:-

But CTC has always tended to
oppose the segregating of cyclists and motor vehicles on British roads,
wrong-headedly (in my view) fearing it that creates more danger and
marginalisation for the cyclist

Most figures are against you with regard to danger. Some have been
given in this thread.

As for marginalisation, there are plenty of examples of "get in the
cycle lane" comments from motorists in this group.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Peter Clinch May 24th 04 01:53 PM

Velvet wrote:

True, but even so, I'm not sure the majority of tourers that are about
on the roads actually have full-sus.. and I fail to see why I should
have to buy a bike with suspension just to be able to ride on shoddy
tarmac.

You shouldn't, which is why I said "While not in any way disagreeing
with your point". It was just some extra information on bikes, not an
excuse for cycle tracks to be terrible.
But for touring generally, another point of information is that there
are plenty of back roads with as bad to worse surfaces out there, and as
suspension gets more widely available and better (when done properly,
this isn't about Comedy suspension on mug's eyeful gaspipe jobs) it's
increasingly worth considering on touring bikes meant for roads.

But, like you say, a cycle track should be welcoming for any bike likely
to ride along it, including one with narrow, unsuspended wheels.

If they're going to put in cycle facilities then at the very least the
surface should mean all bikes should be able to use them, not just a
sub-set of bikes.

Probably most affected are things like trikes and trailers, which can't
easily get through those little traffic-limiting gates designed to stop
yoofs tearing up and down the things on scooters and mopeds. Which is,
of course, another reason they tend to be a Work of Stan (though kudos
to Fife for turning the one between Tayport and Tay Road Bridge from a
ridiculous invitation to eat loose gravel into a really pretty good
track which is a pleasure to use).

Pete.

Peter Clinch May 24th 04 02:07 PM

David Arditti wrote:

The article also brings up problems with the position of CTC in the
statements by Geffen and Russell (both of whom I know). The author rightly
attacks the British systems compared to the far better segregated bike
engineering of The Netherlands and Denmark. But CTC has always tended to
oppose the segregating of cyclists and motor vehicles on British roads,
wrong-headedly (in my view) fearing it that creates more danger and
marginalisation for the cyclist - when anyone who looks at the situation in
continental countries can see that exactly the reverse is true - the danger
and marginalisation occur here, where we try to combine cyclists and motors
in the same unsegregated space, not there.

When one experiences the situation in the NL even if only for a few days
(my Dutch cycling experience) then it's soon remarkably easy to see that
there's probably More To It Than That.
It is an article of faith amongst many that segregation in the NL is
What Makes The Difference, but even where I was on roads shared with
motor transport (which seems to be rather more than the popular view in
the UK holds) it was very clear that I was being given one helluva lot
more attention and thought than is typical in the UK. I felt safer,
despits being on an unfamiliar bike on the "wrong" side of the road with
traffic laws I wasn't familiar with. How can that be, if the real
safety feature is segregation?

are caused by motorists not being careful" is a silly statement as it misses
the point. We all know that. The object of cycle engineering is to protect
cyclists from the mistakes of motorists.

But the problem is that unless you can make segregation *total*, which
of course you can't, then users of roads become less aware of cyclists
because they see them less. Which is why the junctions between cycle
tracks and roads are where the nasty accidents happen. And
superimposing cycle tracks on an existing road network means lots of
junctions in most cases. You won't get tailgated, but that isn't
especially common in any case. One thing which almost everyone agrees
on is that cyclists get safer when there are more of them. Difficult to
objectively prove /why/ that is, but the figures strongly suggest that
whatever the "why", it is so. If you remove cyclists from roads by
segregation there become effectively less of them, so things instantly
get more dangerous on the road when the road can't be avoided.

Pete.

Nathaniel Porter May 24th 04 02:23 PM

"David Arditti" wrote in message

The object of cycle engineering is to protect
cyclists from the mistakes of motorists.

But that can only go so far (if you're being reasonable). Surely it would be
better to stop motorists from making mistakes?

I appreciate motorists are only human and will make mistakes - but the vast
majority of mistakes seem to be caused through ignorance, incompetancy or
selfishness - and these mistakes shouldn't happen.

Helen Deborah Vecht May 24th 04 02:51 PM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

Peter Clinch typed

When one experiences the situation in the NL even if only for a few days
(my Dutch cycling experience) then it's soon remarkably easy to see that
there's probably More To It Than That.
It is an article of faith amongst many that segregation in the NL is
What Makes The Difference, but even where I was on roads shared with
motor transport (which seems to be rather more than the popular view in
the UK holds) it was very clear that I was being given one helluva lot
more attention and thought than is typical in the UK. I felt safer,
despits being on an unfamiliar bike on the "wrong" side of the road with
traffic laws I wasn't familiar with. How can that be, if the real
safety feature is segregation?

I call it the respect/contempt issue.
Cyclists in the Netherlands are respected and numerous.
Cyclists in Britain are hated and not numerous.

I don't know what will change the numbers.
I don't have a clue what will induce the Brits to accord more respect to
cyclists. Some cycle farcilities are definitely counter-productive here
(and there's a large feature in the local rag entitled 'Cycle lane has
hit profits, angry traders tell minister')

I think it's a chicken & egg problem.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Michael MacClancy May 24th 04 03:03 PM

On Mon, 24 May 2004 14:51:35 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

I call it the respect/contempt issue.
Cyclists in the Netherlands are respected and numerous.
Cyclists in Britain are hated and not numerous.

I don't know what will change the numbers.
I don't have a clue what will induce the Brits to accord more respect to
cyclists. Some cycle farcilities are definitely counter-productive here
(and there's a large feature in the local rag entitled 'Cycle lane has
hit profits, angry traders tell minister')

Here's a link to the story:
http://tinyurl.com/3ezt3

--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter

Simon Brooke May 24th 04 03:05 PM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

in message , David Arditti
') wrote:

The article also brings up problems with the position of CTC in the
statements by Geffen and Russell (both of whom I know). The author
rightly attacks the British systems compared to the far better
segregated bike engineering of The Netherlands and Denmark. But CTC
has always tended to oppose the segregating of cyclists and motor
vehicles on British roads, wrong-headedly (in my view) fearing it that
creates more danger and marginalisation for the cyclist - when anyone
who looks at the situation in continental countries can see that
exactly the reverse is true

No, you're completely and diametrically wrong, as research done in both
Holland and Denmark has shown. In both those countries (as in the UK,
US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand) studies have shown that cycle
paths are substantially more dangerous than the roads.

We've been through this argument again and again; it's like helmets.
Common sense says that cycle paths should help, and everyone initially
assumes they do and that experienced cyclists are just being pig-headed
about this. We're not. Initially we all thought as you do, but we've
read the research, and our minds have been changed.

; ... of course nothing said here will be taken notice of by
; the W3C. The official place to be ignored is on www-style or
; www-html. -- George Lund

Peter Tillotson May 24th 04 06:29 PM

Mark Thompson wrote:
| This has always been my greatest fear. That one day the buggers will
| realise that they only need to spend a bit more money on cycle
| farcilities and then vote us off the road altogether.

But why - if the road has no attached cycle way you could go on the
road, if it does it'll be better than the road (for security anyway).
I suppose you might say that drivers will get used to not having to
think about cyclists so will be worse when they have to share, but
separate lanes will get many more cycling and we just might end up
like Holland and Denmark.

It's 'cos impatient/late buggers like me like to get there at more than
12mph. On my (v. short) commute I try and keep my speed at 20mph. There's
no way I could do that on most cycle paths and it would be the height of
stupidity to do it on a shared use footpath, even if it was deserted enough
to be possible.

Added to the reduction in speed negotiating junctions would be more time
consuming. On the road I can just do a left turn, right turn or go
straight ahead at speed (if nothing coming). On a cyclepath I'd have to
slow down a lot/stop to let traffic past and check it was clear when I
could just sail past with right of way on the road.

I don't find the roads unsafe and do find many cycle lanes off the road too
slow to bother with. Trundlies may have a different view I s'pose.

Cycle lanes also have the irritating habit of stoping at every road
junction. I don't mind cycle lanes, as long as they are well designed
and recognise that cyclist like to maintain momentum.

I think we need to start educating the car drivers, report everyone
comes too close or cuts you up. It'd be nice to take snaps of the number
plate, get home and automatically get a list sent to the local police.

A few producers may get em thinking

MSeries May 24th 04 06:29 PM

Michael MacClancy wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2004 14:51:35 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

I call it the respect/contempt issue.
Cyclists in the Netherlands are respected and numerous.
Cyclists in Britain are hated and not numerous.

I don't know what will change the numbers.
I don't have a clue what will induce the Brits to accord more
respect to cyclists. Some cycle farcilities are definitely
counter-productive here (and there's a large feature in the local
rag entitled 'Cycle lane has hit profits, angry traders tell
minister')

Here's a link to the story:
http://tinyurl.com/3ezt3

"former customers tell me what a shame it is that they can't shop locally
any more" maybe if they made the effort to shop locally then the shops
wouldn't have closed. Once again we see how small minded some folk are.
Instead of finding another means of travelling such as bicycle or public
transport, which I presume is one of the intentions of the scheme, they
chose to go elsewhere - then whinge about it.

Just zis Guy, you know? May 24th 04 06:55 PM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

On Mon, 24 May 2004 18:29:11 +0100, Peter Tillotson
wrote in message
:

Cycle lanes also have the irritating habit of stoping at every road
junction. I don't mind cycle lanes, as long as they are well designed
and recognise that cyclist like to maintain momentum.

Oooh! Where? Where? ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Philip Armstrong May 24th 04 07:22 PM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

In article ,
bikerider7 wrote:
[Note: I have not been on Blackfriars bridge, and the article seems
quite
vague on the "problem" with this particular cycle lane....]

For the edification of urc, I've put up a few pictures of the cycle
lane in question. I happened to be in London yesterday walking along
that bit of the Thames...

http://www.kantaka.co.uk/blackfriars_bridge/

The traffic lanes as painted on the road look appallingly dangerous to
me. I cannot believe any sane traffic engineer could possibly have
thought that this was a good idea.

It would be very easy for a cyclist to be caught in the blind spot of
a large vehicle which, on realising that it was in the wrong lane
would move across the cycle lane without ever realising that the
cyclist was there. This is compounded by the fact that the road is
uphill making it very difficult for even a very fit cyclist to keep up
with the traffic.

Interestingly, you can see on the photographs that the blue sign which
presumably echoed the road layout appear to have been covered
over. Anyone know what these said? I have a suspicion that the left
lane was designated a bus lane Mon-Fri at peak times, putting the
cycle lane *in between* a pair of bus lanes. Mad.

Phil

Philip Armstrong May 24th 04 07:34 PM

Philip Armstrong wrote:
http://www.kantaka.co.uk/blackfriars_bridge/

195.92.67.67 - - [24/May/2004:19:26:33 +0100] "GET /blackfriars_bridge/ HTTP/1.1" 200 2061 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)"

Well, that took all of three minutes.

Phil

Tony Raven May 24th 04 07:35 PM

Philip Armstrong wrote:

For the edification of urc, I've put up a few pictures of the cycle
lane in question. I happened to be in London yesterday walking along
that bit of the Thames...

http://www.kantaka.co.uk/blackfriars_bridge/

Just realised I've cycled that loads of times and didn't think twice about it
(I had Blackwall Tunnel ingrained in my mind for some reason). Like the
cyclist just visible in the flowers photo I stay in the left hand bus lane
until I am well past the solid separator before moving right into the straight
ahead cycle lane. By the time I move over, all the buses that are going to
swap over will have.

Mind you, maybe without my helmet now I will be simpering in the gutter there.

Tony

Nathaniel Porter May 24th 04 07:42 PM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

Right I'm really confused by this layout[1]. Am I right in thinking that the
layout is:

Left turn lane | Cycle Lane | Bus Lane (ahead only?) | Ahead (& right turn?)
only lane

Then why the need for a bus lane & a seperate cycle lane?

To me it seems like just two lanes (one for all left turners, one for all
ahead traffic) would be better :-S

Could you or someone else who knows the area enlighten me?

Simonb May 24th 04 07:49 PM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

Philip Armstrong wrote:
In article ,
Philip Armstrong wrote:
http://www.kantaka.co.uk/blackfriars_bridge/

195.92.67.67 - - [24/May/2004:19:26:33 +0100] "GET
/blackfriars_bridge/ HTTP/1.1" 200 2061 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible;
MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)"

Not got mine, then?

Nathaniel Porter May 24th 04 07:50 PM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

"Peter Tillotson" wrote in message

snip

I think we need to start educating the car drivers, report everyone
comes too close or cuts you up. It'd be nice to take snaps of the number
plate, get home and automatically get a list sent to the local police.

There is a thread on u.r.d. regarding villagers being able to detect
speeders and pass registration no.s to the police so they can send out a
letter (or summons in extreme cases). I think it would be a good idea if
road users can report incidents like the PP describes to the police and that
they (at least) send a letter out detailing the incident and what should
have happened instead. I think the reasonable-but-ignorant part of the road
user community would respond well to that (although I doubt it would have
any effect on the selfish section of society).

Just thinking aloud :-)

Steve Peake May 24th 04 07:54 PM

On 23 May 2004 12:35:07 -0700, bikerider7 wrote:

[Note: I have not been on Blackfriars bridge, and the article seems
quite
vague on the "problem" with this particular cycle lane....]

Scandal of our deadly cycle lanes

Same story was on bbc local news tonight on tv. May be repeated later
after 9 if anyone missed it.

I'll encode it if wants it.

Steve

Just zis Guy, you know? May 24th 04 08:03 PM

The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes

On Mon, 24 May 2004 19:22:11 +0100, (Philip
Armstrong) wrote in message :

http://www.kantaka.co.uk/blackfriars_bridge/

What a dog's breakfast! Mind you, the buses might get the hint if
Green Kleptonite had been used on the bike lane.