CycleBanter.com

-   -   Cycling into Canary Wharf (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=57636)

Vivian May 9th 04 11:47 AM

Cycling into Canary Wharf

I cycle into CW via Cable Street, cross Butcher Row and then go through the
little park, over the bridge and onto Horseferry Road. I have been noticing
that the little gate at the entrace of that little park (after you cross
Butcher Row) has been locked on the cycling lane - the pedestrian lane is
opened. I don't know if I'm explaining myself right here, but basically,
one half of the gate is locked with a padlock. I couldn't find anything in
the Tower Hamlets website with information whether this was decided by the
council or not. Does anybody knows why and who locked it?

--
Vivian
-------

John Hearns May 9th 04 07:09 PM

Cycling into Canary Wharf

On Sun, 09 May 2004 11:47:38 +0100, Vivian wrote:

one half of the gate is locked with a padlock. I couldn't find anything in
the Tower Hamlets website with information whether this was decided by the
council or not. Does anybody knows why and who locked it?

No idea.
But contact Tower Hamlets Wheelers, who will be interested.

davek May 9th 04 08:49 PM

Cycling into Canary Wharf

I don't know if I'm explaining myself right here, but basically,
one half of the gate is locked with a padlock.

I know exactly where you mean because I used to live on the Isle of Dogs and
have cycled through that little park numerous times. Can't help you as to
why the gate is closed, but if I recall correctly then it's not much of a
cycle path anyway - quite narrow and the boundary between the two halves is
not respected by pedestrians, so I would have no qualms about using either
side of the path/gate. In any case, I reckon it's probably nothing more
sinister than that the person whose responsibility it is to open and close
the gate just can't be bothered to do it.

d.