CycleBanter.com

-   -   Installing a chain (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=255768)

Tanguy Ortolo April 26th 18 10:21 AM

Installing a chain

Hello,

With my previous thread about chain lubrication, I realized that I have
always had some trouble installing a chain. It is not really difficult,
but several issues complicate the procedu the crankcase makes it hard
to position the chain around the ring, and the final assembly is done
under tension from the derailleur.

Perhaps there are some tricks to ease the procedure?

--
Tanguy

Frank Krygowski[_4_] April 26th 18 04:58 PM

Installing a chain

On 4/26/2018 5:21 AM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello,

With my previous thread about chain lubrication, I realized that I have
always had some trouble installing a chain. It is not really difficult,
but several issues complicate the procedu the crankcase makes it hard
to position the chain around the ring, and the final assembly is done
under tension from the derailleur.

Perhaps there are some tricks to ease the procedure?

Well, nothing is perfectly easy.

I have a little tool, sort of a clip, that slips over the next-to-last
link at each end of the chain (or thereabouts) and holds them against
the force of the derailleur's tension arm. This makes it easier for me
to fuss around getting the ends of the chain to align before either
driving in the last pin, or using a quick link.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Andre Jute[_2_] April 27th 18 09:24 AM

Installing a chain

On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 10:21:53 AM UTC+1, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello,

With my previous thread about chain lubrication, I realized that I have
always had some trouble installing a chain. It is not really difficult,
but several issues complicate the procedu the crankcase makes it hard
to position the chain around the ring, and the final assembly is done
under tension from the derailleur.

Perhaps there are some tricks to ease the procedure?

--
Tanguy

From a bike shop, beg a piece of the foam tube that comes as protection for the tubes of new bikes, or dig a piece out of their dustbin. Put this over the drive-side chain stay. Now you can close the chain without the chain scratching your bike's paint. Count the links on the old chain, Cut the new chain to the same number of links. (You don't need to count; you can put the two chains side by side.) Put the new chain on the sprocket but not on the chainring. Fit the quick link or rivet or whatever that you use to close the chain. Roll up on the chainring. Remove foam and put in your toolkit for next time.

AJ
A little lateral thinking goes a long way

Andre Jute[_2_] April 27th 18 09:26 AM

Installing a chain

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 9:24:10 AM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 10:21:53 AM UTC+1, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello,

With my previous thread about chain lubrication, I realized that I have
always had some trouble installing a chain. It is not really difficult,
but several issues complicate the procedu the crankcase makes it hard
to position the chain around the ring, and the final assembly is done
under tension from the derailleur.

Perhaps there are some tricks to ease the procedure?

--
Tanguy

From a bike shop, beg a piece of the foam tube that comes as protection for the tubes of new bikes, or dig a piece out of their dustbin. Put this over the drive-side chain stay. Now you can close the chain without the chain scratching your bike's paint. Count the links on the old chain, Cut the new chain to the same number of links. (You don't need to count; you can put the two chains side by side.) Put the new chain on the sprocket but not on the chainring. Fit the quick link or rivet or whatever that you use to close the chain. Roll up on the chainring. Remove foam and put in your toolkit for next time.

AJ
A little lateral thinking goes a long way

If the crankcase gets in the way, it may be easier to put the chain over the chainring first, connect the ends, and then roll it over the sprocket.

AJ
Afterthoughts

Ian Field April 28th 18 10:08 PM

Installing a chain

"Tanguy Ortolo" wrote in message
Hello,

With my previous thread about chain lubrication, I realized that I have
always had some trouble installing a chain. It is not really difficult,
but several issues complicate the procedu the crankcase makes it hard
to position the chain around the ring, and the final assembly is done
under tension from the derailleur.

Perhaps there are some tricks to ease the procedure?

A multi-tool I bought has a spring wire hook thingy to holt the ends close
so you can slip the link in.

Its easier to just dismount the chain so there's no tension, than rummaging
through the tool kit.

Joerg[_2_] April 30th 18 05:45 PM

Installing a chain

On 2018-04-26 02:21, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello,

With my previous thread about chain lubrication, I realized that I have
always had some trouble installing a chain. It is not really difficult,
but several issues complicate the procedu the crankcase makes it hard
to position the chain around the ring, and the final assembly is done
under tension from the derailleur.

Perhaps there are some tricks to ease the procedure?

"Feed" the chain on from behind while cranking forward by hand. For the
derailer use an old bungee cord to keep it tensioned forward. It should
be one you won't use anywhere else because it'll become a little grimy
and greasy over time. A piece of rope and two plastic or plastic-covered
hooks will also do. Or use cheap packaging rope and no hooks.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/