CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need some advice about a new full suspension mtn bike (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=84924)

[email protected] March 15th 05 08:55 PM

Need some advice about a new full suspension mtn bike

Hello!

I am currently riding a hard tail mountain bike and I am interestd in
upgrading to a full suspension. I have heard that the Santa Cruz blur
is quite an awesome bike, but the price is a bit out of my range.

I am willing to spend up to 2k for one, but I definitely want the best
bike for my buck. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Gracie

maxo March 15th 05 09:41 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:55:37 -0800, wrote:

but I definitely want the best
bike for my buck.

How are the components on the HT bike? Do you want to keep it?

You could always get a great new FS frame and swap over the parts.

;)

David March 15th 05 10:02 PM

"maxo" wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:55:37 -0800, wrote:

but I definitely want the best
bike for my buck.

How are the components on the HT bike? Do you want to keep it?

You could always get a great new FS frame and swap over the parts.

Good idea.

I went the other way, after my freeride FS frame cracked, and I was too cheap to
buy another. Didn't take too much longer before the fork cracked too though.
The rest of the parts have held up.

Expect to buy a new seat post & clamp. You may need a new front dir if the seat tube
is larger, or if the frames aren't both top-pull or bottom-pull. My new seat tube was
smaller, so I just picked up Doere front der. shims from the LBS, and used my old
front dir.

When I did the swap, I had the LBS transfer the fork, because I figured they had all the
fancy headset tools (and skills). I recently replaced the headset on my road-bike,
and it turned out to be pretty easy. If I change my frame again (may go back to FS),
I may do the entire thing this time.

[email protected] March 15th 05 10:07 PM

I was thinking of maybe using my HT for a commuter - I suppose I could
switch out components. My HT is a mix of LX and XT parts (kind of
dated). My front fork is an older Marzocchi - although it still works
well, I think I'd need a new one.

Since my components are a little out of date, wouldn't it be better to
buy a whole new bike?

TNX

S o r n i March 16th 05 06:36 AM

wrote:
I was thinking of maybe using my HT for a commuter - I suppose I could
switch out components. My HT is a mix of LX and XT parts (kind of
dated). My front fork is an older Marzocchi - although it still works
well, I think I'd need a new one.

Since my components are a little out of date, wouldn't it be better to
buy a whole new bike?

In your case (wanting to use the HT for commuting and maybe just as a second
bike), yes.

You can get a pretty nice XC FS bike for $2K; visit some local shops and
take some test rides. (Also check local ads for used bikes, once you have a
feel for what you want.)

Happy hunting,

Bill S.

Matt O'Toole March 16th 05 08:36 PM

wrote:

I was thinking of maybe using my HT for a commuter - I suppose I could
switch out components. My HT is a mix of LX and XT parts (kind of
dated). My front fork is an older Marzocchi - although it still works
well, I think I'd need a new one.

Since my components are a little out of date, wouldn't it be better to
buy a whole new bike?

Probably not. Just upgrade or replace what's not up to par. The only reason to
replace your bike is if you want a newer, long travel suspension fork, which
your current frame won't accomodate.

BTW, I ride a 9 year old HT with the same LX/XT mix, and it still serves me well
for around town and mountain biking. I only bought it because of the reason I
just mentioned -- my previous bike wouldn't accomodate a reasonable suspension
fork. If you want a little more travel you might be able to switch to another
brand of fork -- Marzocchis are generally a little taller for the same amount of
travel. However, they tend to do more with less so performance may not be any
better.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole March 16th 05 08:52 PM

wrote:

I am currently riding a hard tail mountain bike and I am interestd in
upgrading to a full suspension. I have heard that the Santa Cruz blur
is quite an awesome bike, but the price is a bit out of my range.

I am willing to spend up to 2k for one, but I definitely want the best
bike for my buck. Any suggestions?

So get a used Blur. Barring that, the Specialized bikes are very efficient XC
designs. They've been selling a decent package for around $1500 for the last
few years. Actually all the big brands are selling decent FS bikes in that
price range these days. You don't have to go boutique anymore, to get a good
performer that won't fall apart.

However, the SC bikes are definately a cut above, so it may be worth scraping
one together. IME, even the cheap Shimano components work really well, but it's
worth spending money on a good chassis and suspension. If it really offends you
to put Alivio components on a boutique frame, buy some used XT/LX stuff off
eBay, or strip it off a used bike. Another great way to save money (and weight)
is to forget about disk brakes. They're indispensible in mud but otherwise
overrated.

Matt O.