CycleBanter.com

-   -   Glasses and Rain (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=242792)

davethedave[_2_] November 20th 13 02:48 PM

Glasses and Rain

As Mr Jay Beattie mentioned somewhere up there ↑

"with the rain on my glasses and on-coming head lights, I can't see a
f****** thing on my way home from work."

Being a glasses wearer myself I have experienced this darkened, smeary
light point filled, focus free, terror trip home.

Is there any thing to be done about it other than get contacts?

Has anyone tried rainex or other on their glasses?
--
davethedave

Dan O November 20th 13 05:24 PM

Glasses and Rain

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:48:23 AM UTC-8, davethedave wrote:
As Mr Jay Beattie mentioned somewhere up there ↑

"with the rain on my glasses and on-coming head lights, I can't see a
f****** thing on my way home from work."

Being a glasses wearer myself I have experienced this darkened, smeary
light point filled, focus free, terror trip home.

Is there any thing to be done about it other than get contacts?

Has anyone tried rainex or other on their glasses?

Haven't tried it myself (my uncorrected vision gets me by if
the glasses get worse), but:

https://www.google.com/#q=potato+rain+x

Andre Jute[_2_] November 20th 13 05:55 PM

Glasses and Rain

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:48:23 PM UTC, davethedave wrote:
As Mr Jay Beattie mentioned somewhere up there ↑

"with the rain on my glasses and on-coming head lights, I can't see a

f****** thing on my way home from work."

Being a glasses wearer myself I have experienced this darkened, smeary

light point filled, focus free, terror trip home.

Is there any thing to be done about it other than get contacts?

Has anyone tried rainex or other on their glasses?

--

davethedave

About thirty years ago I tried a little wiper, but the stepper motor made my glasses lopsided and the wiper just added smears and the pantograph motion so close to my eyeballs made me carsick (well, motion-sick, anyway).

At the optician or the chemist you can get stuff you spray on the lenses but it smears.

Frank Krygowski[_2_] November 20th 13 08:33 PM

Glasses and Rain

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:48:23 AM UTC-5, davethedave wrote:
As Mr Jay Beattie mentioned somewhere up there ↑

"with the rain on my glasses and on-coming head lights, I can't see a
f****** thing on my way home from work."

Being a glasses wearer myself I have experienced this darkened, smeary
light point filled, focus free, terror trip home.

Is there any thing to be done about it other than get contacts?

Has anyone tried rainex or other on their glasses?

The best solution I've come up with is to remove my glasses. Fortunately, my distance vision is fine. But it does mean I lose the use of my eyeglass mirror.

I haven't tried RainX on my glasses. I'm much more likely to wait out the rain. Of course, in Portland, that means not riding until May...

- Frank Krygowski

James[_8_] November 20th 13 09:34 PM

Glasses and Rain

On 21/11/13 01:48, davethedave wrote:
As Mr Jay Beattie mentioned somewhere up there ↑

"with the rain on my glasses and on-coming head lights, I can't see a
f****** thing on my way home from work."

Being a glasses wearer myself I have experienced this darkened, smeary
light point filled, focus free, terror trip home.

Is there any thing to be done about it other than get contacts?

Has anyone tried rainex or other on their glasses?

No, but I have thought about using rainex.

I avoid getting wet mostly though.

--
JS

David Scheidt November 21st 13 12:29 AM

Glasses and Rain

davethedave wrote:
:As Mr Jay Beattie mentioned somewhere up there ↑

:"with the rain on my glasses and on-coming head lights, I can't see a
:f****** thing on my way home from work."

:Being a glasses wearer myself I have experienced this darkened, smeary
:light point filled, focus free, terror trip home.

:Is there any thing to be done about it other than get contacts?

:Has anyone tried rainex or other on their glasses?

I'e used a couple differet things. The basic idea is that they're a
wax or surfactant that causes water to bead up, and having formed
beads, roll off the glasses. the things I've tried ("spit" brand
stuff (two different products) and 'cat crap' and something else) all
work okay, but not for a long time. They do better on the inside of
your lenses, where they don't get washed off in the rain.

The other thing you can do is get glass (actual, you know, glass)
lenses. They're easier to kep clean, and clean lenses the water comes
off aster. There are other issues with tht, of course.

--
sig 115

Peter Howard[_4_] November 21st 13 12:50 AM

Glasses and Rain

davethedave wrote:
As Mr Jay Beattie mentioned somewhere up there ?

"with the rain on my glasses and on-coming head lights, I can't see a
f****** thing on my way home from work."

Being a glasses wearer myself I have experienced this darkened, smeary
light point filled, focus free, terror trip home.

Is there any thing to be done about it other than get contacts?

Has anyone tried rainex or other on their glasses?

In really rotten weather I wear Uvex ski goggles over my spectacles and I
use rainex on both spectacle lenses and goggles. You have to be aware of
loss of peripheral vision but the wraparound format of the goggles I chose
minimises the effect.
PH

Duane[_4_] November 21st 13 01:44 AM

Glasses and Rain

"Peter Howard" wrote:
davethedave wrote:
As Mr Jay Beattie mentioned somewhere up there ?

"with the rain on my glasses and on-coming head lights, I can't see a
f****** thing on my way home from work."

Being a glasses wearer myself I have experienced this darkened, smeary
light point filled, focus free, terror trip home.

Is there any thing to be done about it other than get contacts?

Has anyone tried rainex or other on their glasses?

In really rotten weather I wear Uvex ski goggles over my spectacles and I
use rainex on both spectacle lenses and goggles. You have to be aware of
loss of peripheral vision but the wraparound format of the goggles I chose
minimises the effect.
PH

This would probably help with a problem I had on a hilly race in the rain.
The rain was washing sweat into my eyes and blinding me. Goggles would
probably have worked.
--
duane

John B.[_3_] November 21st 13 01:53 AM

Glasses and Rain

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 16:48:23 +0200, davethedave
wrote:

As Mr Jay Beattie mentioned somewhere up there ?

"with the rain on my glasses and on-coming head lights, I can't see a
f****** thing on my way home from work."

Being a glasses wearer myself I have experienced this darkened, smeary
light point filled, focus free, terror trip home.

Is there any thing to be done about it other than get contacts?

Has anyone tried rainex or other on their glasses?

I've tried Rainex on glasses I use for riding. It does seem to help in
that you now have glasses with drops sliding down their surface rather
then smeared. I've ridden in some pretty heavy rain storms and the
problem wasn't seeing. On the other hand, it is not a cure all. I
suffer from the usual age related close vision problem and can see
pretty well at a distance so I usually take the glasses off when
riding in the rain.
--
Cheers,

John B.

[email protected] November 21st 13 02:00 AM

Glasses and Rain

try a baseball cap, yellow/day glo orange see WALMART hunting eg and yellow shooters clip on from Emigsville, Yorktowne Optical.

a Goretex hat is desirable but not available with a long bill....see SUNDAY AFTERNOONS hats and hats CAMPMOR.COM or REI