CycleBanter.com

-   Australia (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   TDF and australians (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=46907)

cc July 7th 03 12:33 PM

TDF and australians

I think it's pretty impressive how a non-cycling
nation like Oz can do so well at the TDF.

Pity Cadel had to break his collar bone, twice.
Hope Henk gets back to racing soon.

Ollie Wigg July 7th 03 12:51 PM

TDF and australians

Are we sutch a non-cycling nation?
I'd be interested to know how we compare with other counties in similar
sercumstnaces to our own.
Ollie

mitchell mandell July 7th 03 01:14 PM

TDF and australians

Non Cycling.. ??

your on crack

g July 7th 03 03:02 PM

TDF and australians

Ollie Wigg wrote:

Are we sutch a non-cycling nation?
I'd be interested to know how we compare with other counties in similar
sercumstnaces to our own.
Ollie

Well, in spectator popularity, cycling is equal first with football in
Belgium and clear #2 pro sport (to football) in Holland, France, Italy
and Spain (I think). In terms of those countries, we aren't a cycling
nation.

Compared to nations outside Europe, we **** on'em in the Tour in terms
of numbers and performance. I'm sure the yanks don't that many in the
Tour.

In terms of recreational/commuting use, we are as big or bigger users
than France/Italy/Spain - but much less than Holland, Germany, Austria
and even Japan. But in those terms we could be a cycling nation.

my 5c

GK

patch70 July 8th 03 01:10 AM

TDF and australians

I'm sure the yanks don't that many in the Tour.

There were 8 American starters in the TDF. Obviously no comparison on a
per capita basis....:D

SH July 8th 03 05:17 AM

TDF and australians

Sure we're not a cycling nation compared to most Euro countries!! I told a
guy at work that I was disappointed that I would miss that days coverage of
the tour. He said' "your into that are you?" Pretty much the attitude of
most my non cycling buddies.

I'm sure continued success will help to bring about change.

The AIS cycling program should be congratulated for developing so many great
riders from a relatively small participation base.

"mitchell mandell" wrote in message
Non Cycling.. ??

your on crack

Andrew Swan July 8th 03 09:48 AM

TDF and australians

cc wrote:
I think it's pretty impressive how a non-cycling
nation like Oz can do so well at the TDF.

Pity Cadel had to break his collar bone, twice.
Hope Henk gets back to racing soon.

Yep, imagine if Cadel Evans was fit - seeing an Aussie holding his own
in the mountains .... but that aside, it's just amazing our results so
far - 1st and 3rd on GC, three jerseys (out of 4?) between the seven of
them, two stage wins out of three - where's it going to end??? Hopefully
never, although I think the smart money's on Lance for the long haul.

&roo

Theo Bekkers July 8th 03 11:39 AM

TDF and australians

"g" wrote
But I counted 6.

Lance Armstrong
George Hincapie
Floyd Landis
Levi Leipheimer
Tyler Hamilton
Fred Rodriguez

You can cross of Tyler, he broke a collarbone.

Theo

g July 8th 03 12:24 PM

TDF and australians

Theo Bekkers wrote:

"g" wrote
But I counted 6.

Lance Armstrong
George Hincapie
Floyd Landis
Levi Leipheimer
Tyler Hamilton
Fred Rodriguez

You can cross of Tyler, he broke a collarbone.

Theo

Tyler is still in, sofar. Leipheimer is out with broken hip. But we're
talking about starters anyway.

GK

Theo Bekkers July 8th 03 12:29 PM

TDF and australians

"g" wrote
Theo Bekkers wrote:

You can cross of Tyler, he broke a collarbone.

Tyler is still in, sofar.

He broke it today.

Theo