CycleBanter.com

-   Australia (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Component Quality of Rental bikes (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=256264)

news18 August 22nd 18 05:43 AM

Component Quality of Rental bikes

with the closing down of one rental bicyce scheme, and may other(s), I'm
wondering what is the quality of the components use within and on these
bicycles.

My interest is reuse/repurpose for various project involving bicycle
tech/parts.

Zebee Johnstone August 22nd 18 10:42 PM

Component Quality of Rental bikes

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 14:43:18 +1000
news18 wrote:
with the closing down of one rental bicyce scheme, and may other(s), I'm
wondering what is the quality of the components use within and on these
bicycles.

My interest is reuse/repurpose for various project involving bicycle
tech/parts.

THey were built to a price and many of them seemed to have odd shaped
bits precisely to stop people nicking them to use on other bicycles.

THey will be heavy (so they can take abuse) and expect them to be odd
shaped and a bit non-standard.

Zebee

news18 August 23rd 18 04:49 AM

news18 wrote:
with the closing down of one rental bicyce scheme, and may other(s), I'm
wondering what is the quality of the components use within and on these
bicycles.

My interest is reuse/repurpose for various project involving bicycle
tech/parts.

THey were built to a price and many of them seemed to have odd shaped
bits precisely to stop people nicking them to use on other bicycles.

THey will be heavy (so they can take abuse) and expect them to be odd
shaped and a bit non-standard.

Thanks.

No worse than some of the other bike tech I've used/attempted to use in
the past then.

And better than the low-carbon steel I usually build prototypes out of.

I'll have to keep a look out for auctions/disposals.