CycleBanter.com

-   -   Trek X01/Bontrager Race wheels (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=192674)

GrandTheftVelo August 15th 08 12:08 AM

Trek X01/Bontrager Race wheels

If I got a Trek X01, would I instantly destroy the Bontrager Race
wheels in my first cross race? I weigh 150 lbs. I wouldn't worry too
much about most of the races on grass, but one local course in
particular has some moderatly rough doubletrack.

Trek wouldn't sell a cross bike with wheels competely unsuitable for
cross would they? Perhaps yes if they didn't expect anyone to actually
race cross on an entry level cyclocross bike.

John Forrest Tomlinson August 15th 08 12:28 AM

Trek X01/Bontrager Race wheels

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:08:03 -0700 (PDT), GrandTheftVelo
wrote:

If I got a Trek X01, would I instantly destroy the Bontrager Race
wheels in my first cross race?

No.

GrandTheftVelo August 15th 08 12:58 PM

Trek X01/Bontrager Race wheels

wrote:
If I got a Trek X01, would I instantly destroy the Bontrager Race
wheels in my first cross race?

No.

Good, I hope you're right. Haven't seen anyone else use them locally
so it's tough for me to judge.

[email protected] August 15th 08 03:52 PM

Trek X01/Bontrager Race wheels

As others have said, they should be fine. Like all new machine-made
wheels, train on them a few times then have a good local shop re-
tension and true them.

[email protected] August 15th 08 05:58 PM

On Aug 14, 6:08*pm, GrandTheftVelo wrote:

Trek wouldn't sell a cross bike with wheels competely unsuitable for
cross would they? Perhaps yes if they didn't expect anyone to actually
race cross on an entry level cyclocross bike.

CX is not nearly as hard on wheels as some people might imagine,
barring the "flopping like a catfish on the bank" events. Obviously
these occur under much muddier conditions than similar biffs in
road racing, but that this is harder on the wheel is dubious at best.

Also, the idea of spending big bucks on a CX bicycle is rather
anathema to the spirit of it, isn't it?

Ah, for the good ol' days, when it was just a bunch of drunk roadies
in the off-season trying to have fun.

GrandTheftVelo August 15th 08 07:00 PM

Trek X01/Bontrager Race wheels

CX is not nearly as hard on wheels as some people might imagine,

I agree with this on most grass courses. The one course I'm worried
about (where we also do practices) has a downhill section on a rutted,
rooted mtb trail which is fairly rough. Just this past practice
session someone dented a 32 spoke rim (probably bottomed out cause of
too little tire pressure) and another guy "perma-tacoed" (his phrase)
a ksyrium.

Also, the idea of spending big bucks on a CX bicycle is rather
anathema to the spirit of it, isn't it?

Perhaps, but it's only August and the cross bling is already out in
full force around here.

Ryan Cousineau August 16th 08 12:48 AM

Trek X01/Bontrager Race wheels

In article
,

wrote:
If I got a Trek X01, would I instantly destroy the Bontrager Race
wheels in my first cross race?

No.

Good, I hope you're right. Haven't seen anyone else use them locally
so it's tough for me to judge.

If you're really worried, add 10 pounds.