CycleBanter.com

-   -   helmet (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=238884)

AMuzi October 26th 12 03:37 AM

helmet

On 10/25/2012 8:58 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
:On 10/25/2012 6:12 PM, datakoll wrote:
: Brandt was not wearing a helmet for his fatal accident. I have a fine Nbar Bell and not worn.
:
: I wonder what the stats are for serious head injuries with helmets left on the rack ?
:

:Which caused his broken femur or caused the
:anaesthesiologist's error resulting in stroke?

Wait, did he die? I mised that, if it's happened.

He did not.

But many people would pause for a long thought when
pondering a choice of death by head injury or a major stroke.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Sir Ridesalot October 26th 12 03:59 AM

helmet

On Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:27:57 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/25/2012 6:12 PM, datakoll wrote:

Brandt was not wearing a helmet for his fatal accident. I have a fine Nbar Bell and not worn.

I wonder what the stats are for serious head injuries with helmets left on the rack ?

Which caused his broken femur or caused the

anaesthesiologist's error resulting in stroke?

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

if Jobst broke his right femur he's very lucky to not have blde to death at the accident scene. My niece in medical studies was told that the vast majority of broken right femurs cut the femoral artery and the victim bleeds to death extremely quickly.

Sir Ridesalot October 26th 12 04:04 AM

helmet

On Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:37:46 PM UTC-4, SMS wrote:
On 10/25/2012 4:04 PM, AMuzi wrote:

If anyone here has an argument which we didn't thoroughly beat to death

in 1998, please start a new helmet thread and enlighten me.

Actually a lot has changed since 1998.

Snipped
14 years ago, some people still believed that cycling rates fell if

helmets were either promoted or mandated, now we have solid evidence

that this is not the case.

Snipped

Pray tell us; where in the world has bicycle usage remained the same or risen AFTER MANDATORY HELMET LAWS were introduced? Not Australia or New Zealand.

Studies showed that mandatory helmet laws DO cause cycling rates to DROP. Frank has posted data and links to those studies many times.

;) Are you visiting from another galaxy? ;)

Cheers

Sir Ridesalot October 26th 12 04:12 AM

helmet

On Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:37:46 PM UTC-4, SMS wrote:
On 10/25/2012 4:04 PM, AMuzi wrote:

If anyone here has an argument which we didn't thoroughly beat to death

in 1998, please start a new helmet thread and enlighten me.

Actually a lot has changed since 1998.

Snipped

Yes, a lot has changed. One thing is that it is nowextremely difficult to find a hard-shell bicycling helmet in the average bicycle shop.

I've had a few intersting personal experiences with two soft-shell helmets.

One was when I wiped out and smacked the side of my helmet clad head against the pavement. No contusions or anything else and was able to immediately get up and ride without having to wash off any blood or patch a cut on the head.

Interestingly enough the other was when I dropped another helmet from the bicycle handlebar where the helmet had been hanging by its fastened chinstrap and 3" x 1" section of the lower lwft side of the helmet broke off upon impact. That was not even 3' and it was a straight drop with no forward momentum.

I wear a helmet primarily for the use of the helmet mounted mirror.

I wonder if the US Army Kevlar helmet would be a better choice? ;)

Cheers

Sir Ridesalot October 26th 12 04:18 AM

helmet

On Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:11:38 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 18:04:58 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

If anyone here has an argument which we didn't thoroughly

beat to death in 1998, please start a new helmet thread and

enlighten me.

Well, since 1998, we now have

Snipped

retro bicycle helmets:

http://www.bicycling.com/gearfinderproductdetail?gfid=12367

Snipped
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Got myself one of those a few years back. Fantastic ventilation and will hold the skull pieces together in a major crash. ;) I hang it with my vintage Miele bicycle, jersey and shorts.

Cheers

Jeff Liebermann October 26th 12 05:17 AM

helmet

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:18:29 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:11:38 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
retro bicycle helmets:
http://www.bicycling.com/gearfinderproductdetail?gfid=12367

http://www.labicicletta.com/accessories/helmets/hairnet-head-cover.html
Grrrr... only avaiable in 53 to 57cm. My inflated ego requires a 59cm
hat size.

Got myself one of those a few years back. Fantastic ventilation

The problem with so much ventilation is that you can't listen to music
through the helmet:
http://www.tunebug.com/tunebug-in-action/
http://justintimberlake.com/news/2010/badass_biker_need_tunes/

and will hold the skull pieces together in a major crash. ;)

Yep. Saves time for the paramedics not needing to go searching the
roadway for all your skull fragments.

I hang it with my vintage Miele bicycle, jersey and shorts.
Cheers

Do your ride with the hair net "helmet"? (Please check only one):
[ ] Yes
[ ] No
[ ] 5th Ammendment (US)
[ ] Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Sec 11 (Canada)

Jeff Liebermann October 26th 12 05:45 AM

helmet

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:12:49 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I wear a helmet primarily for the use of the helmet mounted mirror.

Mirrors are so 1998. These daze, it's rear view cameras:
http://www.cerevellum.com/hindsight.aspx
http://www.theowl360.com
Please update your technology.

I wonder if the US Army Kevlar helmet would be a better choice? ;)

Specialized S-Works Prevail helmets have a "Kevlar-reinforced Inner
Matrix" (whatever that means):
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/helmets/road-helmets/sworks-prevail
Only $250 (ouch).

Frank Krygowski[_2_] October 26th 12 06:06 AM

helmet

On Oct 25, 7:05*pm, AMuzi wrote:
If anyone here has an argument which we didn't thoroughly
beat to death in 1998, please start a new helmet thread and
enlighten me.

Oh, and if anyone thinks an argument here will change anyone
else's opinion, you might explain your reasoning.

Since you ask, Andrew: Quite a few people have said, over the years,
that they used to be very pro-helmet, even pro-MHL, but that
discussions in these groups changed their mind.

I'm one of those who changed from pro-helmet to helmet skeptic
(although I was never pro-MHL). One person who now maintains a
massive online library of helmet research also had his mind changed
here. A third I know of now leads the anti-MHL fight in his European
country. And there are others.

In the cases I know of in detail, the key was getting people to
actually read and think about the data and the research. That's
certainly what changed my mind, and that's why I post so much data and
references.

And in fact, there has been more knowledge gained since 1998. For
example, the much greater dangers of rotational, rather than
translational, accelerations of the brain and skull were not commonly
recognized back then. (Helmets do nothing against rotational
acceleration, and may even exacerbate it.) The disastrous effect of
MHLs on bike share programs wasn't understood then. There are other
points as well.

Of course, there's no reason a person should read a helmet thread if
he or she is not interested.

- Frank Krygowski

James[_8_] October 26th 12 06:26 AM

helmet

On 26/10/12 16:06, Frank Krygowski wrote:
(Helmets do nothing against rotational
acceleration, and may even exacerbate it.)

Got data?

I've heard helmets are supposed to offer more grip of the road surface
than hair/skin/flesh/bone, but never seen the test results.

--
JS.

Peter Gordon[_2_] October 26th 12 11:09 AM

helmet

James wrote in :

On 26/10/12 16:06, Frank Krygowski wrote:
(Helmets do nothing against rotational
acceleration, and may even exacerbate it.)

Got data?

I've heard helmets are supposed to offer more grip of the road surface
than hair/skin/flesh/bone, but never seen the test results.

No studies, but in a fall off my bike the back of my helmet hit the road
and didn't slide but my polyester cycling jersey did. I don't think that
I have scrambled my brain but tore a trapezoid muscle and couldn't ride for
six weeks. Without a helmet, I would have sustained lacerations to my
scalp but nothing more serious.