CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pittsburgh hills (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=239221)

[email protected] November 26th 12 12:15 AM

Pittsburgh hills

Article about a race in Pittsburgh's hills. 37% grade, anyone?

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-dozen-663572/

or

http://tinyurl.com/booeuyl

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] December 3rd 12 03:42 PM

Pittsburgh hills

On Sunday, November 25, 2012 4:15:44 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Article about a race in Pittsburgh's hills. 37% grade, anyone?

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-dozen-663572/

or

http://tinyurl.com/booeuyl

- Frank Krygowski

Wow, and I thought that 20% was painful. Of course that is a mile long. but 37% is amazing. You can't pave something that steep so it much be built of stones. They do that in Europe here and there mostly in small villages

Jym Dyer January 21st 13 12:03 AM

Pittsburgh hills

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-dozen-663572/

Wow, and I thought that 20% was painful. Of course that is a
mile long. but 37% is amazing. You can't pave something that
steep so it much be built of stones.

=v= Many Pittsburgh streets are brick, with cobblestone for the
especially steep sections.

=v= I grew up biking these streets, and have long been puzzled
by people saying that San Francisco is a hilly place to ride. :^)
_Jym_

Wes Groleau January 21st 13 04:45 AM

Pittsburgh hills

On 01-20-2013 19:03, Jym Dyer wrote:
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-dozen-663572/

Wow, and I thought that 20% was painful. Of course that is a
mile long. but 37% is amazing. You can't pave something that
steep so it much be built of stones.

=v= Many Pittsburgh streets are brick, with cobblestone for the
especially steep sections.

=v= I grew up biking these streets, and have long been puzzled
by people saying that San Francisco is a hilly place to ride. :^)
_Jym_

Listen closer. "hilluva"

:-)

--
Wes Groleau

Free speech has its limits
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.org/WWW?itemid=99

[email protected] January 25th 13 06:06 PM

Pittsburgh hills

On Sunday, January 20, 2013 4:03:48 PM UTC-8, Jym Dyer wrote:
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-dozen-663572/

Wow, and I thought that 20% was painful. Of course that is a

mile long. but 37% is amazing. You can't pave something that

steep so it much be built of stones.

=v= Many Pittsburgh streets are brick, with cobblestone for the

especially steep sections.

=v= I grew up biking these streets, and have long been puzzled

by people saying that San Francisco is a hilly place to ride. :^)

_Jym_

Jym - how long are these sections? A hundred yards or so is manageable but as I said, we have a 20% grade of a mile in a couple of places around SF bay. Not that I'd go riding that when for only 6 miles you can get around it. :-)