CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   NY bike path mayhem (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=255018)

(PeteCresswell) November 6th 17 11:30 PM

NY bike path mayhem

Per Joy Beeson:
The only reason for opposing "death penalty" is that we the people
can't delegate authority that we don't have.

Here's one more - which probably means I'm not a "Nice Person":
when the perpetrator is killed, his troubles are over. Some people,
OTOH, would probably prefer that his troubles are just beginning.
--
Pete Cresswell

Frank Krygowski[_4_] November 7th 17 01:59 AM

NY bike path mayhem

On 11/6/2017 5:30 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Joy Beeson:
The only reason for opposing "death penalty" is that we the people
can't delegate authority that we don't have.

Here's one more - which probably means I'm not a "Nice Person":
when the perpetrator is killed, his troubles are over. Some people,
OTOH, would probably prefer that his troubles are just beginning.

There's also the fact that the deterrence effect is minimal at best, and
likely zero.

As with most big contentious issues, people analyzing data reach
different conclusions. But the death penalty _proponents_ say statistics
show an execution prevents only about 74 murders. The U.S. has about
15,000 murders per year. 74 is less than half a percent of the problem.
It's hard to imagine accepting any other measure that's so extreme, yet
so ineffective.

And it takes a LOT of government resources to impose and enact one death
penalty. ISTM that if that huge effort went into almost any other
realistic preventive measure, it would yield a much bigger improvement.

And that is, of course, what's done in almost all other advanced countries.
--
- Frank Krygowski