CycleBanter.com

-   -   Hot rodding e-bikes (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=257570)

Frank Krygowski[_4_] June 12th 19 05:35 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

Seems it's easy to modify an e-bike to travel up to about 45 kph.

http://cphpost.dk/news/souped-up-ele...rity-says.html

Unskilled newbies blasting through traffic at 30 mph? Sure! What could
go wrong?

--
- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] June 12th 19 08:07 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 11:35:23 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Seems it's easy to modify an e-bike to travel up to about 45 kph.

http://cphpost.dk/news/souped-up-ele...rity-says.html

Unskilled newbies blasting through traffic at 30 mph? Sure! What could
go wrong?

--
- Frank Krygowski

According to Giant's e-bike website.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/globa...-bike-go/21531

"In Europe, an E-bike can have a maximum power of 250 watts, assisting the E-Bike to a maximum speed of 25 km/h (15.6 mph). In the U.S., the rules are different. There, E-bike motors can have a maximum of 500 watts and assist up to 20 mph (32km/h).
There are also E-bikes that support up to 45km/h (28 mph). These are referred to as pedelecs."

So your comment about dangerous 45 kph (28 mph) electric bicycles are officially "pedelecs". This is from Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedelec

"Many jurisdictions classify pedelecs as bicycles as opposed to mopeds or motorcycles. More powerful e-bikes, such as the S-Pedelecs and power-on-demand e-bikes (those whose motors can provide assistance regardless of whether the rider is pedalling or not) are often classified as mopeds or even motorcycles with the rider thus subject to the regulations of such motor vehicles, e.g. having a license and a vehicle registration, wearing a helmet etc."

So...there seems to be differences in what is considered an e-bike and a pedelec and exactly how fast they can go and whether they are officially mopeds or bicycles depending on which state/country you live in. As for people "breaking the law and souping up there e-bike to an illegal speed", I've only been around for half a century, but I am fairly certain there have been human beings breaking the law ever since the first law was enacted thousands upon thousands of years ago. I'm somewhat shocked you are just realizing this simple fact Frank.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] June 12th 19 08:39 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On 6/12/2019 3:07 PM, wrote:
[...]

A) Who are you quoting with that "breaking the law" quote? It wasn't me.

B) What gave you the idea I just now realized there are lawbreakers?
What an odd statement!

C) You didn't address my point. Do you see anything likely to go wrong
with hot-rodding an e-bike?

--
- Frank Krygowski

JBeattie June 12th 19 08:51 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 12:39:09 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2019 3:07 PM, wrote:
[...]

Hot-rodded eBikes are already a thing. The future is now. The practical effect is sharing a bike lane with a silent, lightweight motorcycle -- usually driven by an incompetent.

-- Jay Beattie.

Sir Ridesalot June 12th 19 08:55 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 3:51:35 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
Snipped
Hot-rodded eBikes are already a thing. The future is now. The practical effect is sharing a bike lane with a silent, lightweight motorcycle -- usually driven by an incompetent.

-- Jay Beattie.

I think these E-bikes, let alone the "hot-rodded" ones are a real hazard when on bicycle lanes or MUPs. At least that's my opinion based on the ones I see around here. Other locations may be different.

Cheers

jOHN b. June 13th 19 01:08 AM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 12:35:18 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Seems it's easy to modify an e-bike to travel up to about 45 kph.

http://cphpost.dk/news/souped-up-ele...rity-says.html

Unskilled newbies blasting through traffic at 30 mph? Sure! What could
go wrong?

Singapore figured this all out some years ago and passed laws limiting
e-bikes to their placarded power and limited their use (pathways,
highways, etc). And I believe that currently e-bikes must be
registered and have number plates.

The penalty for illegally modifying an e-bike is $2,000 and/or 3
months in jail.
--
cheers,

John B.

jOHN b. June 13th 19 01:16 AM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 12:07:57 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

Cain and Abel?
--
cheers,

John B.

[email protected] June 13th 19 01:49 AM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 2:39:09 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/12/2019 3:07 PM, wrote:
[...]

I guess I added the quotations incorrectly. I used your words to imply illegal. You used "Hot rodding" in the thread title. And your link is titled "souped-up-electric-bikes-a-potential-accident-waiting-to-happen-authority-says". And you use the words "Unskilled", "newbies", "blasting". All of those words imply a bit of illegality. Except maybe newbie.

B) What gave you the idea I just now realized there are lawbreakers?
What an odd statement!

You started a thread on a bicycle forum titled "Hot rodding". And linked to an article titled "souped-up-electric-bikes-a-potential-accident-waiting-to-happen-authority-says". Hot rodding kind of implies law breaking. And your link mentions authorities, law enforcement, being concerned with it. Your thread seems to be surprised that this illegal and/or dangerous activity would occur.

C) You didn't address my point. Do you see anything likely to go wrong
with hot-rodding an e-bike?

No I did not address the two questions at the end of your post.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski[_4_] June 13th 19 02:13 AM

Hot rodding e-bikes

wrote:
[...]

Yes.

I used your words to imply illegal. You used "Hot rodding" in the thread title. And your link is titled "souped-up-electric-bikes-a-potential-accident-waiting-to-happen-authority-says". And you use the words "Unskilled", "newbies", "blasting". All of those words imply a bit of illegality. Except maybe newbie.

.... and except "unskilled." I know we're in an ASCII based forum and
there are limitations, so sometimes we bend the typical rules for the
sake of efficiency. But generally, it's a bad idea to put words in
another's mouth. That's the straw man argument technique.

B) What gave you the idea I just now realized there are lawbreakers?
What an odd statement!

You started a thread on a bicycle forum titled "Hot rodding". And linked to an article titled "souped-up-electric-bikes-a-potential-accident-waiting-to-happen-authority-says". Hot rodding kind of implies law breaking. And your link mentions authorities, law enforcement, being concerned with it. Your thread seems to be surprised that this illegal and/or dangerous activity would occur.

Nope, I long ago suspected this would happen. In fact, I have a friend
in a distant state who has been doing it for years. In his case, it's
not illegal (AFAIK) because his state has had no relevant laws.

He's an electrical engineer and enjoys the tinkering. But at least a
year ago I read that USB "chips" were available to bypass the program
controls for some e-bikes. To me, that does sound like trouble.

In fact, stock e-bikes have some potential for trouble, as Jay noted. I
think it was John Allen (author of the excellent Street Smarts booklet)
who pointed out that until now, there's been at least a rough
correlation between a rider's average speed and his skill on the bike.
E-bikes destroy that correlation. "Chipped" ones will be worse.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Andre Jute[_2_] June 13th 19 11:14 AM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 5:35:23 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Seems it's easy to modify an e-bike to travel up to about 45 kph.

You're an innocent abroad, Franki-boy. Read passim at
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...5b18e3f f0f33
and be amazed

http://cphpost.dk/news/souped-up-ele...rity-says.html

I get so bored with these sanctimonious curtain-twitchers telling us what we and cannot do.

Unskilled newbies blasting through traffic at 30 mph? Sure! What could
go wrong?

Do you have to be so negative all the time, Franki-boy. This is why journalists, on whose goodwill any wannabe "spokesman for bicycles" has to depend, instantly hate you and call you a "scold".

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sanctimonious asshole.

Andre Jiute
Yesterday I rode with a guy whose bike had 4in wide tyres and a 750W motor. Wheee, what a breeze! Here's his bike: https://radpowerbikes.eu/products/ra...ctric-fat-bike Never mind the 25kph top speed in the specs -- it's easy to get at the software to give this bike a top speed of, well, let's not tell tales out of school to encourage purse-lip naysayers like Krygowski.

Zen Cycle June 13th 19 09:15 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 9:13:46 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:

think it was John Allen (author of the excellent Street Smarts booklet)
who pointed out that until now, there's been at least a rough
correlation between a rider's average speed and his skill on the bike.
E-bikes destroy that correlation. "Chipped" ones will be worse.

I'd suggest these are Darwin Awards candidates, except that such people careening on a e-bike could kill innocent bystanders as well.

Sir Ridesalot June 13th 19 11:27 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 4:15:13 PM UTC-4, Zen Cycle wrote:
On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 9:13:46 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:

think it was John Allen (author of the excellent Street Smarts booklet)
who pointed out that until now, there's been at least a rough
correlation between a rider's average speed and his skill on the bike.
E-bikes destroy that correlation. "Chipped" ones will be worse.

I'd suggest these are Darwin Awards candidates, except that such people careening on a e-bike could kill innocent bystanders as well.

Or cause innocent bicyclists to crash trying to avoid those darn e-bikes. I've seen that happen a number of times on rail-trails around here which is another reason I avoid those rail-trails a lot of times. Some e-bike users seem to think that any off road path or trail is there for them to speed along at the top speed of their e-bike. They seem to EVER consider that maybe someone else is using the trail from the opposite direction.

Cheers

Frank Krygowski[_4_] June 14th 19 12:54 AM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On 6/13/2019 6:27 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Speed is weirdly addictive when you've got a motor.

I remember an incident back in the 1970s. I had been riding my
motorcycle and lost something I had strapped to the bike. (I can't now
recall what it was.)

Anyway, I took the motorcycle back out and rode the same streets and
country roads at low speed, maybe 29 - 25 mph, to look for the lost
item. And I remember thinking "This is really pleasant." At low speed,
there was very little noise from wind or from the engine. I had much
more time to look all around and appreciate my surroundings. It felt
like there was less risk of crashing. It was quite relaxing.

But ever since, with rare exceptions, when riding a motorcycle I've
chosen the highest speeds the law would allow.

--
- Frank Krygowski

JBeattie June 14th 19 01:15 AM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 1:15:13 PM UTC-7, Zen Cycle wrote:
On Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 9:13:46 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:

think it was John Allen (author of the excellent Street Smarts booklet)
who pointed out that until now, there's been at least a rough
correlation between a rider's average speed and his skill on the bike.
E-bikes destroy that correlation. "Chipped" ones will be worse.

I'd suggest these are Darwin Awards candidates, except that such people careening on a e-bike could kill innocent bystanders as well.

E-bikes can also be pretty benign and convenient. I was in Seattle on Tuesday, noting the number of bike-share eBikes. It made sense with the steep hills. https://sdotblog.seattle.gov/2016/08...ntown-seattle/
https://www.geekwire.com/2018/uber-l...tric-bicycles/

IME, the hot-rodded eBikes are typically ridden by people who are not cyclists and are just trying to beat traffic -- as opposed to cyclists who could just use a little help.

-- Jay Beattie.

jOHN b. June 14th 19 02:32 AM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 15:27:08 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

[...]

But, after all, don't some bicyclists, here, brag about how fast they
ride? Why shouldn't e-cyclists do the same :-?

--
cheers,

John B.

AMuzi June 14th 19 02:44 AM

Hot rodding e-bikes

Krygowski wrote:

[...]

I trust by 'law' you meant Bernoulli's and not some
arbitrary civil regulation.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Andre Jute[_2_] June 14th 19 04:04 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 1:15:53 AM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 1:15:13 PM UTC-7, Zen Cycle wrote:

E-bikes can also be pretty benign and convenient. I was in Seattle on Tuesday, noting the number of bike-share eBikes. It made sense with the steep hills. https://sdotblog.seattle.gov/2016/08...ntown-seattle/
https://www.geekwire.com/2018/uber-l...tric-bicycles/

IME, the hot-rodded eBikes are typically ridden by people who are not cyclists and are just trying to beat traffic -- as opposed to cyclists who could just use a little help.

There's a divide somewhere, for sure. 250W should be enough for most cyclists "who could just use a little help". Even for a cyclist who weighs up to a 100kg, 350W should easily allow a top speed of 25kph on the flat, and plenty of oomph for hills. 500W and even more so 750W just aren't necessary except maybe for dedicated cargo bikes but they could also make better use of available, better gearing choices.

Andre Jute
Old timey dodgem codger

Frank Krygowski[_4_] June 14th 19 04:11 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

Krygowski wrote:

think it was John Allen (author of the excellent Street
Smarts booklet)
who pointed out that until now, there's been at least a
rough
correlation between a rider's average speed and his
skill on the bike.
E-bikes destroy that correlation. "Chipped" ones will be
worse.

I'd suggest these are Darwin Awards candidates, except
that such people careening on a e-bike could kill
innocent bystanders as well.

Or cause innocent bicyclists to crashÂ* trying to avoid
[...]

Actually, no. I'm pretty compliant with speed limits.

--
- Frank Krygowski

news18 June 15th 19 05:57 AM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 12:35:18 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Seems it's easy to modify an e-bike to travel up to about 45 kph.

http://cphpost.dk/news/souped-up-ele...tial-accident-

waiting-to-happen-authority-says.html

Unskilled newbies blasting through traffic at 30 mph? Sure! What could
go wrong?

Given the amount of plastic in modern cars, it might redress the
bicyclist/motorist injury ratios.

A 250 watt motor is max legal here,but its possible to buy a 1,000 watt
overseas and ship it in. All it requires is wheel buldng skills and deep
pockets for the battery. OTOH, we can all hope self immolation is a
feature of such activities.

jOHN b. June 15th 19 08:01 AM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 04:57:26 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 12:35:18 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Seems it's easy to modify an e-bike to travel up to about 45 kph.

http://cphpost.dk/news/souped-up-ele...tial-accident-

waiting-to-happen-authority-says.html

Unskilled newbies blasting through traffic at 30 mph? Sure! What could
go wrong?

Given the amount of plastic in modern cars, it might redress the
bicyclist/motorist injury ratios.

A 250 watt motor is max legal here,but its possible to buy a 1,000 watt
overseas and ship it in. All it requires is wheel buldng skills and deep
pockets for the battery. OTOH, we can all hope self immolation is a
feature of such activities.

Professional cyclist can develop peak power of about 1200 watts in a
sprint and can reach a speed of about 66 mph. Perhaps just an
exercise program is cheaper than a souped-up e-bike :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

news18 June 15th 19 01:02 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 12:35:18 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Seems it's easy to modify an e-bike to travel up to about 45 kph.

http://cphpost.dk/news/souped-up-ele...tial-accident-

waiting-to-happen-authority-says.html

Unskilled newbies blasting through traffic at 30 mph? Sure! What could
go wrong?

Given the amount of plastic in modern cars, it might redress the
bicyclist/motorist injury ratios.

A 250 watt motor is max legal here,but its possible to buy a 1,000 watt
overseas and ship it in. All it requires is wheel buldng skills and deep
pockets for the battery. OTOH, we can all hope self immolation is a
feature of such activities.

Professional cyclist can develop peak power of about 1200 watts in a
sprint and can reach a speed of about 66 mph. Perhaps just an exercise
program is cheaper than a souped-up e-bike :-)

Work, sweat, you jest.
The buyers would be people who want a "motor cycle" but are banned
because they don't have a riders license. usually for past misdemeanors.
At one stage, ICE add ons for bicycles were popular, until they were out
lawed. E-bikes only now.

Tom Kunich[_5_] June 17th 19 06:02 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On 6/12/2019 3:07 PM, wrote:
[...]

Tesla builds a very efficient electric motor for their Type 3 cars. If you copied their technique for an e-bike it could add at least 50% to the performance.

We presently have people on electric skateboards riding at 10 mph between San Francisco traffic and those damn electric scooters are everywhere.

Tom Kunich[_5_] June 17th 19 06:10 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 4:54:52 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I watch something cars doing that you do one bikes for a reason but cars really have no reason - drafting. I watch cars drive 100 mph to catch the group in front of them that is blocking the entire freeway. I even see them doing this in cities when you can SEE a red light up the road that will force you to stop. If they did a more moderate speed they could drive right through these lights all green for them. Instead it is STOP-GO LIKE HELL-STOP et al.

I have a real problem drafting anymore. I have to watch the road and the horizon since I don't have any balance. That means that I often cannot watch the person I'm drafting close enough and they will slow down and I end up half-wheeling them. So now I either ride alone of ride pretty far off the back.

Tom Kunich[_5_] June 17th 19 06:12 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

[...]

Because I raced motorcycles I always had had more speed than I ever wanted on the tracks. Riding on the streets I would go slow or at most keep level with traffic.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] June 18th 19 04:25 AM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On 6/17/2019 1:10 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

While I don't get to do it very often, I still enjoy drafting. On a club
ride last week, a strong rider and I enjoyed sailing in the last few
miles at well over 20 mph. I was enjoying it because my front wheel was
about six inches behind his back wheel.

For a long time, I was the draftee in that situation. When my wife and I
are on the tandem, that's still sometimes the case. But that day I was
the drafter, barely hanging on - but having a great time.

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B. Slocomb June 18th 19 05:37 AM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 23:25:07 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

I once drafted a small motorcycle with a sidecar for about 25 kilos,
coming back from a Sunday ride, at a steady 35 kph. When we got to
where I turned off the highway to my little village I almost didn't
stop as I was having such a good time :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.

JBeattie June 18th 19 03:21 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

wrote:

[...]

Motor-pacing is part of most training programs. I rode with some juniors, and the father of one built a motor-pacing motorcycle with a little roller wheel on the back. It was pretty slick. His son, Don Myhra, was later a pro and more recently a world champ masters CX rider. https://www.cxmagazine.com/don-myrah...ment-interview Gads. The last time I saw him, he was a kid. Makes a guy feel old.

Motor pacing on a bike is illegal on the road since it is "following too closely." Many years ago, a bunch of us got busted for drafting a team car around a local island. No tickets. Just warnings from the sheriff. Twice. They don't seem to mind if you draft other cyclists which technically is also following too closely.

-- Jay Beattie.

Zen Cycle June 18th 19 05:33 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 10:21:25 AM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

Motor pacing on a bike is illegal on the road since it is "following
too closely."

Not in massachusetts. The 'following too closely' statute applies exclusively to motorized vehicles here. I've been lectured by more than a few cops from various towns here over the (many) years, but that's it. One said "I'd ticket you if I could".

Frank Krygowski[_4_] June 18th 19 05:53 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On 6/18/2019 12:33 PM, Zen Cycle wrote:
On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 10:21:25 AM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

Motor pacing on a bike is illegal on the road since it is "following
too closely."

Not in massachusetts. The 'following too closely' statute applies exclusively to motorized vehicles here. I've been lectured by more than a few cops from various towns here over the (many) years, but that's it. One said "I'd ticket you if I could".

I knew one local rider who got a "following too closely" ticket. The
judge and his staff laughed about it, and the judge threw it out.

--
- Frank Krygowski

JBeattie June 18th 19 06:14 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 9:53:07 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/18/2019 12:33 PM, Zen Cycle wrote:
On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 10:21:25 AM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

Motor pacing on a bike is illegal on the road since it is "following
too closely."

Not in massachusetts. The 'following too closely' statute applies exclusively to motorized vehicles here. I've been lectured by more than a few cops from various towns here over the (many) years, but that's it. One said "I'd ticket you if I could".

I knew one local rider who got a "following too closely" ticket. The
judge and his staff laughed about it, and the judge threw it out.

Following a car too closely is probably an offense here because of our case law and the statute making the rules of the road that apply to "motor vehicles" equally applicable to bicycles with exceptions:

ORS 814.400

(1) Every person riding a bicycle upon a public way is subject to the provisions applicable to and has the same rights and duties as the driver of any other vehicle concerning operating on highways, vehicle equipment and abandoned vehicles, except:

(a) Those provisions which by their very nature can have no application.

(b) When otherwise specifically provided under the vehicle code.

(2) Subject to the provisions of subsection (1) of this section:

(a) A bicycle is a vehicle for purposes of the vehicle code; and

(b) When the term “vehicle” is used the term shall be deemed to be applicable to bicycles.

(3) The provisions of the vehicle code relating to the operation of bicycles do not relieve a bicyclist or motorist from the duty to exercise due care..

The fact that a rule of the road expressly references "motor vehicles" is not enough to exempt bicycles -- according to our CA.

The "following too closely" statute is also pretty vague, leaving open the question of what is "reasonably prudent." With two consenting cyclists, a few inches may be reasonably prudent.

Note that the statute also differentiates between "motor vehicle" and vehicle, making it clear that following a bicycle in a car too closely is also an offense.

ORS 811.485

(1) A person commits the offense of following too closely if the person does any of the following:

(a) Drives a motor vehicle so as to follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of the vehicles and the traffic upon, and condition of, the highway.

* * * * *

-- Jay Beattie.

Sir Ridesalot June 18th 19 06:33 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 12:53:07 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/18/2019 12:33 PM, Zen Cycle wrote:
On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 10:21:25 AM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

Motor pacing on a bike is illegal on the road since it is "following
too closely."

Not in massachusetts. The 'following too closely' statute applies exclusively to motorized vehicles here. I've been lectured by more than a few cops from various towns here over the (many) years, but that's it. One said "I'd ticket you if I could".

I knew one local rider who got a "following too closely" ticket. The
judge and his staff laughed about it, and the judge threw it out.

--
- Frank Krygowski

How much did it cost the rider to go to court to have that ticket thrown out?

Cheers

Zen Cycle June 18th 19 06:57 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 1:14:55 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

We have the "Cyclists' Bill of Rights"

https://www.massbike.org/laws

Frank Krygowski[_4_] June 19th 19 04:08 AM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On 6/18/2019 1:33 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 12:53:07 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/18/2019 12:33 PM, Zen Cycle wrote:
On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 10:21:25 AM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

Motor pacing on a bike is illegal on the road since it is "following
too closely."

Not in massachusetts. The 'following too closely' statute applies exclusively to motorized vehicles here. I've been lectured by more than a few cops from various towns here over the (many) years, but that's it. One said "I'd ticket you if I could".

I knew one local rider who got a "following too closely" ticket. The
judge and his staff laughed about it, and the judge threw it out.

--
- Frank Krygowski

How much did it cost the rider to go to court to have that ticket thrown out?

Zero. I went with her to help explain the crash. Sadly, she didn't even
buy me lunch. (No good deed goes unpunished.)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sir Ridesalot June 19th 19 04:21 AM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 11:08:07 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Crash? What crash? You said the judge threw out the "following too closely" ticket your bicycling friend got. Are you saying that the ticket was thrown out without the bicyclist needing to appear in court? If the bicyclist had to appear in court to get that ticket thrown out then how much in lost wages was the bicyclist out? How much was the ticket for?

Cheers

Frank Krygowski[_4_] June 19th 19 03:57 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On 6/18/2019 11:21 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I've told about this many times before, but:

Maybe ten years ago, we were on a club ride. My wife and I were on our
old tandem, custom built in 1979 by Jim Bradford, then of Georgia. (I've
been told he now lives in Canada - possibly to escape lawsuits?) The
bike is oversized Reynolds 531 throughout... except the forks.

Anyway, we turned left off a state highway onto a bumpy side road. Some
other riders' turns were held up by traffic, so we were going very slow,
probably less than ten mph. As I was watching my mirror for the delayed
riders, I hit a small bump, and we were on the ground. Both front forks
had suddenly snapped off just below the fork crown.

(It turns out that Bradford, in his haste to finish the tandem before
leaving on his honeymoon, had used track gage forks instead of tandem
gage. The wall thickness of our original forks was one third what it
should have been. Of course, I didn't know that until they broke.)

A woman was riding behind us. When we did our sudden stop, she ran into
us and crashed. Despite her magic hat, she had facial injuries and went
to the ER. A State Highway Patrolman visited her there and wrote a
ticket for following too closely.

I thought it was bogus, so I chose to help her fight the ticket. She and
I showed up at traffic court with my front wheel with two broken-off
fork blades attached. The judge said "This is about a BICYCLE CRASH??"
We said yes, there was no car involved. He said "I'm throwing this out.
You're free to go."

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sir Ridesalot June 19th 19 09:24 PM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On Wednesday, June 19, 2019 at 10:57:53 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

So how much in lost wages did the two of you lose in order to beat that ticket? How much was the ticket for?

Cheers

Frank Krygowski[_4_] June 20th 19 01:11 AM

Hot rodding e-bikes

On 6/19/2019 4:24 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I was and am retired. I don't think she was at the time, but I assume
she took a personal day off work.

I don't know what the ticket would have cost her.

--
- Frank Krygowski