CycleBanter.com

-   -   Silent hubs (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=255672)

[email protected] March 27th 18 02:49 AM

Silent hubs

I have a shimano wheelset 16 20 that really ok ride fine after 4500 miles. Well the best thing about them is the freehub is dead silent. I have decided I really like that in wheels so want to build myself a set. Stealth riding is cool like being in a Stealth jet fighter under the radar

Seems Shimano Ultegra 6800 best option I believe freehub is very quiet. They only come in 32 or 36 drilling and I would prefer 24 28. Anyone know of a very quiet freehub compared to Shimano.

Deacon Mark.

Mark J. March 27th 18 05:40 AM

Silent hubs

On 3/26/2018 6:49 PM, wrote:
I have a shimano wheelset 16 20 that really ok ride fine after 4500 miles. Well the best thing about them is the freehub is dead silent. I have decided I really like that in wheels so want to build myself a set. Stealth riding is cool like being in a Stealth jet fighter under the radar

Seems Shimano Ultegra 6800 best option I believe freehub is very quiet. They only come in 32 or 36 drilling and I would prefer 24 28. Anyone know of a very quiet freehub compared to Shimano.

Deacon Mark.

Shimano made a silent freehub years ago, I think the design was called a
"roller clutch". Googling that, I found the link below; it shows a
pretty current-looking Shimano hub and has a part number. Maybe you can
go from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rO1WamGBTI

Mark J.

Joerg[_2_] March 27th 18 09:47 PM

Silent hubs

On 2018-03-26 18:49, wrote:
I have a shimano wheelset 16 20 that really ok ride fine after 4500
miles. Well the best thing about them is the freehub is dead silent.
I have decided I really like that in wheels so want to build myself a
set. Stealth riding is cool like being in a Stealth jet fighter under
the radar

Seems Shimano Ultegra 6800 best option I believe freehub is very
quiet. They only come in 32 or 36 drilling and I would prefer 24 28.
Anyone know of a very quiet freehub compared to Shimano.

On the MTB I have a Formula freehub which is as quiet as the Shimano
freehub on my road bike. Don't remember the exact part number but I
replaced my last 6-speed UG freehub with a 7-speed HG hub for MTB.

Many folks with other freehubs don't need to holler "on your left" when
rolling downhill because you can hear the GRRRR.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Tim McNamara March 28th 18 12:53 AM

Silent hubs

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 13:47:58 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Many folks with other freehubs don't need to holler "on your left"
when rolling downhill because you can hear the GRRRR.

It's amazing how loud some freehubs are. It's like rattling a playing
card against the spokes, like we did as kids to pretend we were on
motorcycles. A card and a clothespin, vroom!

JBeattie March 28th 18 01:47 AM

Silent hubs

wrote:

Many folks with other freehubs don't need to holler "on your left"
when rolling downhill because you can hear the GRRRR.

It's amazing how loud some freehubs are. It's like rattling a playing
card against the spokes, like we did as kids to pretend we were on
motorcycles. A card and a clothespin, vroom!

Dude, having a freehub that sounds like a swarm of angry bees is a status symbol. You pair that with deep dish aero wheels that give off a low rumble, and you're set. Totally dope.

-- Jay Beattie.

AMuzi March 28th 18 02:01 AM

Silent hubs

wrote:

Many folks with other freehubs don't need to holler "on your left"
when rolling downhill because you can hear the GRRRR.

It's amazing how loud some freehubs are. It's like rattling a playing
card against the spokes, like we did as kids to pretend we were on
motorcycles. A card and a clothespin, vroom!

Economists say "Veblen goods", meaning if he paid extra for
a Chris King hub, all the other riders will know it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

[email protected] March 28th 18 07:42 AM

Silent hubs

wrote:

Many folks with other freehubs don't need to holler "on your left"
when rolling downhill because you can hear the GRRRR.

It's amazing how loud some freehubs are. It's like rattling a playing
card against the spokes, like we did as kids to pretend we were on
motorcycles. A card and a clothespin, vroom!

Dude, having a freehub that sounds like a swarm of angry bees is a status symbol. You pair that with deep dish aero wheels that give off a low rumble, and you're set. Totally dope.

-- Jay Beattie.

Maybe, but I'm looking forward to it:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ny15RngXVBp1Vei33

I'll promise I will not use this bike for group rides ;-)

Lou

Ned Mantei March 28th 18 11:48 AM

Silent hubs

On 27-03-18 22:47, Joerg wrote:
Many folks with other freehubs don't need to holler "on your left" when
rolling downhill because you can hear the GRRRR.

How can I get people to holler that here in Switzerland? Or maybe ring a
bell? It's just not customary here, and no one does it.

A couple of weeks ago I was in downtown Zurich, riding on a road with 2
sets of tram tracks. Approaching a stoplight, I signaled to the car
behind me that I wanted to turn left, and moved to the left side of my
lane. The motorist clearly saw that, so I saw no need to keep signaling
the turn. As the light turned green, I moved into the intersection to
cross the second set of tram tracks and to turn. Just then another guy
on a bike came up from behind even further to the left (in the lane
going against traffic on the other side of the intersection). I didn't
see him coming, turned into him so that my handlebars caught his, and so
slowly tipped over onto the pavement. Fortunately only a couple of minor
scratches, but could have been a lot worse.

Ned

Sepp Ruf March 28th 18 02:13 PM

Silent hubs

Ned Mantei wrote:
On 27-03-18 22:47, Joerg wrote:
Many folks with other freehubs don't need to holler "on your left" when
rolling downhill because you can hear the GRRRR.

How can I get people to holler that here in Switzerland? Or maybe ring a
bell? It's just not customary here, and no one does it.

Listen closer to those DT Swiss hubs, a CHRRRR CHR CHRRRR sound might
actually be Morse code. The moment the rider passes, quickly ask which
language!

Considerably more robust, linguistically:
https://www.postauto.ch/sites/default/files/content/posthorn/pag-nat-posthorn-original.mp3

A couple of weeks ago I was in downtown Zurich, riding on a road with 2
sets of tram tracks. Approaching a stoplight, I signaled to the car
behind me that I wanted to turn left, and moved to the left side of my
lane. The motorist clearly saw that, so I saw no need to keep signaling
the turn. As the light turned green, I moved into the intersection to
cross the second set of tram tracks and to turn. Just then another guy
on a bike came up from behind even further to the left (in the lane
going against traffic on the other side of the intersection). I didn't
see him coming, turned into him so that my handlebars caught his, and so
slowly tipped over onto the pavement. Fortunately only a couple of minor
scratches, but could have been a lot worse.

Before finally turning your bike, turn your head once again.

Joerg[_2_] March 28th 18 03:25 PM

Silent hubs

On 2018-03-28 03:48, Ned Mantei wrote:
On 27-03-18 22:47, Joerg wrote:
Many folks with other freehubs don't need to holler "on your left" when
rolling downhill because you can hear the GRRRR.

How can I get people to holler that here in Switzerland? Or maybe ring a
bell? It's just not customary here, and no one does it.

They should put this on an MP3 player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4esQH791D-Y

I've got train horns and bells on mine. Also some Western movie theme
melodies. That often results in a good chuckle for other riders.

A couple of weeks ago I was in downtown Zurich, riding on a road with 2
sets of tram tracks. Approaching a stoplight, I signaled to the car
behind me that I wanted to turn left, and moved to the left side of my
lane. The motorist clearly saw that, so I saw no need to keep signaling
the turn. As the light turned green, I moved into the intersection to
cross the second set of tram tracks and to turn. Just then another guy
on a bike came up from behind even further to the left (in the lane
going against traffic on the other side of the intersection). I didn't
see him coming, turned into him so that my handlebars caught his, and so
slowly tipped over onto the pavement. Fortunately only a couple of minor
scratches, but could have been a lot worse.

Having lived in Europe and the US my observation is that American
cyclists (and motorists) are in general more courteous. In America they
seem to be more competitive though. When they see another rider speed by
they often pick up the speed for the chase. When it's a guy in jeans and
T-shirt they can get miffed.