CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   City of Oakland's 2nd Annual CarFree Day (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=93432)

Cycle America September 14th 05 07:35 AM

City of Oakland's 2nd Annual CarFree Day

NEWS FROM
PUBLIC WORKS AGENCY

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Kathryn Hughes
September 14, 2005 (510) 238-6493

Clever Commuting!
City of Oakland's 2nd Annual CarFree Day

Oakland, CA - The City of Oakland is encouraging downtown employees to
get out of their cars and try an alternative commute on September 22,
2005, the City's second CarFree Day. This year's event will feature a
transportation fair in Frank H. Ogawa Plaza from 11am to 2:00pm, with
staffed booths offering information about alternatives to driving alone
to work and other ways of reducing dependency on automobile travel.

The East Bay Bicycle Coalition and the City of Oakland's Bicycle
Pedestrian Advisory Committee will provide free, all-day guarded bicycle
parking in Frank Ogawa Plaza next to Oakland City Hall from 7am to 6pm,
to accommodate downtown workers as well as commuters continuing on to
San Francisco via public transit. A press conference will be held at
noon on City Hall steps.

The theme of this year's CarFree Day is Clever Commuting. These days,
with the rising cost of gasoline, it's a good time to start thinking
smart about how we commute. Money saved on commuting is money in the
pocket. AC Transit, BART, carpooling, vanpooling, bicycling and walking
are all convenient options in our City. Living close to work is another
way to avoid costly commutes. Oakland's Smart Growth policy helps make
this possible, by encouraging construction of housing developments close
to transit and workplaces. Living close enough to walk or bicycle to
work may be one of the smartest lifestyle choices you can make, says
Raul Godinez, the City's Public Works Agency Director.

International CarFree Day became an annual event in 2000 and is growing
fast. In 2003, over 300 cities worldwide participated. This year, the
number is expected to be over 800. Oakland is the only City in this
region with a major event this year.

WHAT: City of Oakland's 2nd Annual CarFree Day, transportation fair,
music, prizes, press conference and more

WHEN: Thursday, September 22, 2005
11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
12:00 p.m. - Press Conference (City Hall steps)

WHE Frank H. Ogawa Plaza (14th and Broadway), in front of City Hall

The event is sponsored by the City of Oakland's Public Works Agency and
CarFree City USA, with assistance from the East Bay Bicycle Coalition,
Bishop Architecture, and National Bikeway Greenway. For more information
on CarFree Day and last year's Oakland event, go to
http://www.carfreecity.us/Oakland.html; or contact Gus Yates at
510-849-4412 or email: .

--
54% of New York City households do not own cars

M A R T I N K R I E G : "Awake Again" Author
http://www.bikeroute.com/AwakeAgain
Bent Since '83, Car Free Since '89, '79 & '86 TransAms********
Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor*
Can You Change it with Love?*
N A T I O N A L B I C Y C L E G R E E N W A Y