CycleBanter.com

-   Racing (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Apparently all serious cyclists (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=130704)

Fred April 22nd 06 01:43 AM

Apparently all serious cyclists

Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

Gooserider April 22nd 06 01:48 AM

Apparently all serious cyclists

"Fred" wrote in message
oups.com...
Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

Because chicks dig it.

Bestest Handsander April 22nd 06 01:54 AM

Apparently all serious cyclists

"Fred" wrote in message
oups.com...
Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

In reverse order...

5. Makes them more aerodynamic snicker :)

4. Makes massages easier

3. Easier to clean the inevitable road rash and less risk of infection

2. Show off their well-muscled legs

And the drum roll please....

1. Because that's what cyclists have always done and everyone else does it!

[email protected] April 22nd 06 01:59 AM

Fred wrote:
Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

Don't know why others do it, but I know why you don't. You're a Fred.

Fred

GaryG April 22nd 06 02:11 AM

Apparently all serious cyclists

"Fred" wrote in message
oups.com...
Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

Consider it a tribal ritual. If you want to be a member of the tribe, shave
'em.

GG

Sid April 22nd 06 04:51 AM

Apparently all serious cyclists

Same reason body builders and swimmers shave, it looks good (if you ride
enough to have muscle definition), but it sure is a pain to keep it up for
long.

Sid

oups.com...

Fred April 22nd 06 05:18 AM

Apparently all serious cyclists

wrote in message
ups.com...

Fred wrote:
Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

Don't know why others do it, but I know why you don't. You're a Fred.

Fred

I'm a Fred too, so you must be right. I don't shave my legs either.

Also Fred.

LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m April 22nd 06 06:18 AM

Some Fred wrote:

Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

I was once asked [in Calistoga, California] whether I was a "serious
cyclist", after having ridden from Sacramento via the north shore of
Clear Lake around Soda Bay [some considerable distance]. I replied that
I am more of a light-hearted cyclist, to the dumbfounding consternation
of the questioner.

As for why those "serious cyclists" shave their legs, I have no idea. As
a bearded man since before many of them were born, I haven't figured out
why they shave their faces, much less their legs.

tom April 22nd 06 06:50 AM

Apparently all serious cyclists

Ease of road-rash cleansing. tom

Bill Baka April 22nd 06 11:04 AM

LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m wrote:
Some Fred wrote:

Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

I was once asked [in Calistoga, California] whether I was a "serious
cyclist", after having ridden from Sacramento via the north shore of
Clear Lake around Soda Bay [some considerable distance]. I replied that
I am more of a light-hearted cyclist, to the dumbfounding consternation
of the questioner.

As for why those "serious cyclists" shave their legs, I have no idea. As
a bearded man since before many of them were born, I haven't figured out
why they shave their faces, much less their legs.

That must make me a major Fred, hairy legs, long hair, no helmet, and
often a very non aero beard.
I can't go fast that way but all the wind drag gets me some good workouts.
Bill (Phred?) Baka