CycleBanter.com

-   -   Anyone put a bike with a FRONT rack onto a bus? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=256446)

Sir Ridesalot September 18th 18 11:45 PM

Anyone put a bike with a FRONT rack onto a bus?

Anyone here ever use a bus rack to hold a touring bike that has a front rack with a platform on it? Any problems with the wheel holding hook slipping?

Cheers

Ralph Barone[_4_] September 19th 18 01:26 AM

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Anyone here ever use a bus rack to hold a touring bike that has a front
rack with a platform on it? Any problems with the wheel holding hook slipping?

Cheers

I do, with no problems. I have a low rider rack, so there is no
interference between the hook and the rack. My issue is that the front
fender prevents the hook from sitting as high on the wheel as it should.
Hasn't fallen off yet.

Sir Ridesalot September 19th 18 01:45 AM

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 8:26:39 PM UTC-4, Ralph Barone wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Anyone here ever use a bus rack to hold a touring bike that has a front
rack with a platform on it? Any problems with the wheel holding hook slipping?

Cheers

I do, with no problems. I have a low rider rack, so there is no
interference between the hook and the rack. My issue is that the front
fender prevents the hook from sitting as high on the wheel as it should.
Hasn't fallen off yet.

Which is why I asked about a front rack with a PLATFORM on it.

Cheers

Ralph Barone[_4_] September 19th 18 02:08 AM

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Anyone here ever use a bus rack to hold a touring bike that has a front
rack with a platform on it? Any problems with the wheel holding hook slipping?

Cheers

I do, with no problems. I have a low rider rack, so there is no
interference between the hook and the rack. My issue is that the front
fender prevents the hook from sitting as high on the wheel as it should.
Hasn't fallen off yet.

Which is why I asked about a front rack with a PLATFORM on it.

Cheers

Yeah, sorry. I caught that detail after I posted.

Joerg[_2_] September 26th 18 12:51 AM

On 2018-09-18 15:45, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Anyone here ever use a bus rack to hold a touring bike that has a
front rack with a platform on it? Any problems with the wheel holding
hook slipping?

Not sure if this is what you mean: I've had to load this MTB in reverse
because the slot was too short. So the hook had to go over the rear
wheel under the platform stack:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy4.JPG

Due to the 4" suspension it has about 5" clearance which your front rack
probably doesn't have. However, the hook would have slid under just
about anything that isn't closer to 1" (hook diameter) to the tire, you
just have to reach in from the end.

There are two "false bottoms" under the wooden platform, IOW three
platforms.

A photo of your bike would help.

--
Regards, Joerg