CycleBanter.com

-   Social Issues (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Going to be my latest purchase. (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=231651)

Harry Brogan[_7_] October 9th 11 09:52 PM

Going to be my latest purchase.

I'll be heading down to pick bike up the first of the week. I was
wondering if anyone out there had any experience with this ride or if
some people had any suggestions as to what additions might be needed.

I mean suggestions besides the usual lighting and safety suggestions.

THANKS GUYS!!!!! ((and Gals))
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...rt/transport/#

James[_8_] October 9th 11 10:08 PM

Harry Brogan wrote:
I'll be heading down to pick bike up the first of the week. I was
wondering if anyone out there had any experience with this ride or if
some people had any suggestions as to what additions might be needed.

I mean suggestions besides the usual lighting and safety suggestions.

THANKS GUYS!!!!! ((and Gals))
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...rt/transport/#

Lights, if you want to ride at night or in poor weather.

Pump, tool kit, spare inner tubes and/or puncture repair kit.

I like shoes designed for riding, so clipless pedals. Probably double
sided SPD, or SPD one side and platform the other. It's a personal
preference decision.

Again with the personal preference, I'd want handle bars that offer
various hand positions. Drop bars are the ticket. Fitting the controls
from that bike to drop bars might prove a challenge.

--
JS.

[email protected] October 9th 11 10:30 PM

Going to be my latest purchase.

On Oct 9, 3:52*pm, Harry Brogan
wrote:
I'll be heading down to pick bike up the first of the week. *I was
wondering if anyone out there had any experience with this ride or if
some people had any suggestions as to what additions might be needed.

I mean suggestions besides the usual lighting and safety suggestions.

THANKS GUYS!!!!! *((and Gals))http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes.../transport/tra...

Looks good, "proof" will be in the using. How about a report later?
Not a "criticism", but that bag looks a little big for the use I've
put a "transport" bike to, mainly attending classes. As someone else
said, the finer points are going to be "personal preference".

OK, "no lights suggestions" but WTH-- I have a Planet Bike rear
flasher that I have heard other users say have brought complaints from
drivers: "Too bright!" IOW, just about right g!

I bought that one in a set with the front. The handlebar mount is a
little funky but it works and the same applies, it's not to see with
but to be seen by, especially on "flash".

Oh yeah-- if you're going to be riding in sloppy (incl. winter use
with freezing spray), a low & wide extension for the front fender is a
very good idea.
--D-y

landotter October 10th 11 01:06 AM

On Oct 9, 4:08*pm, James wrote:
Harry Brogan wrote:
I'll be heading down to pick bike up the first of the week. *I was
wondering if anyone out there had any experience with this ride or if
some people had any suggestions as to what additions might be needed.

I mean suggestions besides the usual lighting and safety suggestions.

THANKS GUYS!!!!! *((and Gals))
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes.../transport/tra...

Lights, if you want to ride at night or in poor weather.

Pump, tool kit, spare inner tubes and/or puncture repair kit.

I like shoes designed for riding, so clipless pedals. *Probably double
sided SPD, or SPD one side and platform the other. *It's a personal
preference decision.

Again with the personal preference, I'd want handle bars that offer
various hand positions. *Drop bars are the ticket. *Fitting the controls
from that bike to drop bars might prove a challenge.

Trekking bars offer tons of hand positions and use strong and
inexpensive mtb components. Using drop bars on utility bikes is a
strange affectation.

Harry Brogan[_7_] October 10th 11 01:53 AM

Going to be my latest purchase.

Trekking bars is definitely an idea I had not thought of. I'll look
into that tomorrow when I go to pick the bike up and take it on it's
first ride out of the shop.

On Sun, 9 Oct 2011 17:06:06 -0700 (PDT), landotter

(PeteCresswell) October 10th 11 01:56 AM

Going to be my latest purchase.

Per Harry Brogan:
suggestions as to what additions might be needed.

I like sound of the flip-flop dropouts.

"Needed" is probably the wrong word, but once you start riding it
maybe think about handlebar extensions - the ones that curve
inwards. I mount mine canted slightly downwards and wrapped
with handlebar tape/

I find a number of comfortable hand positions with them. Not
quite as comfortable as riding on hoods but close enough and with
more variety.

They are also convenient for climbing hills out of the saddle or
going a little aero into a wind.
--
PeteCresswell

Harry Brogan[_7_] October 10th 11 01:57 AM

Going to be my latest purchase.

I yoo have a Planet Bike rear flasher. Keeps me from getting nailed
when I am out at night and HAVE to ride on the street.

I also have green flashers for the side of the bike as well. You can
find those at Grainger.com realitively cheap if you're interested.

I am a FIRM believer in grabbing as much attention as you can,
especially at night.

And I will definitely post an update within a few days of purchase.
And I am also a bit unsire about the size of the side bag. It's
SUPPOSED to be able to hold two full bags of groceries, but we'll see.
I am used to bungee cords so this will be a new experience.

On Sun, 9 Oct 2011 14:30:22 -0700 (PDT), "

Harry Brogan[_7_] October 10th 11 02:00 AM

Going to be my latest purchase.

And ANOTHER good suggestion!!!!! Thanks!!!!! For the money I am
laying out initially it better be a GREAT ride!!!!! Ionly took one
on a quick test ride about 8 months ago. But I opted to wait and see
what changes came with the 2012 model. Which I don't believe were
many.

Per Harry Brogan:

(PeteCresswell) October 10th 11 02:08 AM

Going to be my latest purchase.

Per Harry Brogan:
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...rt/transport/#

Cute little blurb in the upper right of "Fit & Sizing": "The
right fit is everything.".... accompanied by two sizes "M" and
"L"....

The three biggest lies:

- The check is in the mail

- I promise not to come

- One size fits all
--
PeteCresswell

James[_8_] October 10th 11 02:21 AM

landotter wrote:
On Oct 9, 4:08 pm, James wrote:
Harry Brogan wrote:
[...]

Please define "tons".

Seems the Cyclocross folks do plenty of trekking with bikes equipped
with drop bars too.

and use strong and
inexpensive mtb components.

True, however I've not broken a STI lever yet.

Using drop bars on utility bikes is a
strange affectation.

Maybe. I like to think outside the box and it does not mean the
suggestion I made may not be useful and worth considering.

--
JS.