CycleBanter.com

-   Unicycling (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help with broken saddle (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=176691)

lauraz January 9th 08 06:33 PM

Help with broken saddle

Hi,

I am looking for help with my broken saddle. I found a unicycle in my
boyfriend's garage and he lent it to me so I could learn to ride. I
have now dropped it hundreds of times and the seat is bent. I have
bent it back a few times but it is getting worse and only a few drops
makes it unrideable again. I can't figure out a way to reinforce it to
keep it from bending. I know he would be ok with my giving it back to
him in this condition but I am just not comfortable returning the
unicycle to him in an unrideable state. Plus, I can only go 50 feet so
far so I would like to ride it a bit more before getting a new
unicycle. I think the unicycle is only worth $25 so it doesn't seem
right spending $40 on a new seat. So, where would one find a used
unicycle seat? I live in Maryland and I can not find any local stores
that carry saddles. I saw a $24 Classic Saddle on unicycle.com but the
shipping is $10. If I could find a store and save the shipping that
would help alot; do anyone know of a store near Maryland?

Thanks,
Laura

|Filename: unicycle2.JPG |

lauraz
http://www.usenet.com

johnfoss January 9th 08 07:27 PM

Help with broken saddle

You're doing great if you're surviving sitting on that!

(For all you kids out there, yes, that's what lots of us unicyclists
had to deal with in the 70s and 80s!)

You can ask around at local bike shops, but they are unlikely to have
anything unless they've been in business a long time and are the kind
who keep old inventory on hand. That would be your cheapest bet, but
not including all the time and gas to go to the shops. Or you could try
calling.

If you can find some other unicyclists in your area, they might have
old saddles they could sell you cheap, or even give you. If you lived
near me I'd say come over and I'd hand you something better than that
as I have lots of old parts.

The Classic saddle from Unicycle.com won't fit your post, you'd have to
get a post also. Same goes for any new saddle that won't suck. You
could buy the savage saddle, but why replace with something similar to
what you've already got?

If you like do-it-yourself, you could try making something yourself,
using wood for a base, some foam and some denim or vinyl fabric for a
cover, but that could be a lot of work to get it right. My
recommendation is the Nimbus Gel, or high-top saddle (either one) and a
post to go with it. You'll just have to measure the post you have,
which is probably 7/8" but you'll need to make sure. New posts come in
metric sizes, which would most likely be 'one of these'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=271) (22.2mm).

Another possibility is to buy another old unicycle, which can always be
found on eBay, but by the time you get it shipped to you you'll
probably end up paying more anyway. Your unicycle is fine, but it's
useless if nobody wants to sit on it. A seat is a great investment, as
it can be a learning cycle forever, even if people move onto better
models later on.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
http://www.usenet.com

saskatchewanian January 9th 08 10:38 PM

Help with broken saddle

haha wow that looks like possibly the least comfortable seat I have seen
yet.

I have the seat that came from my learner that I don't use anymore and
will send it your way. It's one of the steel based vinyl covered ones
and I converted it to an air saddle. Throw me a PM with your mailing
address and I will send it to you it you want. You would still need to
buy a new post as this seat has the standard 4-bolt pattern.

--
saskatchewanian
http://www.usenet.com

lauraz January 10th 08 03:48 PM

Help with broken saddle

saskatchewanian, thanks for the offer. I just sent you a PM. Hopefully
shipping won't be that expensive from Canada. Let me know so I can see
if it is reasonable and paypal you for the expense.

John thanks for the advice. It seems like you had a lot of the same
thoughts that I did.

It looks like I will still need to get a new seat post. Does anyone
know of a shop near Maryland that would carry a 22.2mm standard 4-bolt
seat post?

--
lauraz
http://www.usenet.com

harper January 10th 08 04:10 PM

Help with broken saddle

lauraz wrote:

It looks like I will still need to get a new seat post. Does anyone
know of a shop near Maryland that would carry a 22.2mm standard 4-bolt
seat post?

Try 'unicycle.com' (http://www.unicycle.com/). I think their
'seatposts' (http://tinyurl.com/4w2l) run about $10. They also have a
selection of 'saddles' (http://tinyurl.com/fg8) you can look through,
some as low as $19.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

http://www.usenet.com

munimag January 13th 08 03:40 PM

Help with broken saddle

Laura,

I have a seat post (with seat) from an old Schwinn unicycle. It
measures about 20 mm in diameter. I don't know if that will work. I
live in Germantown, MD. You are welcome to have it.

Claude

--
munimag
http://www.usenet.com

saskatchewanian January 13th 08 07:55 PM

Help with broken saddle

I found a seatpost also and have everything pacaged up but was waiting
for another person to give me payment for some stuff that I am selling
him, then was going to send him his package and Laura hers at the same
time, saving myself a trip to the post office. This hasn't happened yet
so I am thinking that Munimag, since you are in the same state yours
would get there much faster.

Once that other guy pays me I will send the package unless you send
yours first :)

--
saskatchewanian
http://www.usenet.com

lauraz January 14th 08 03:39 PM

Help with broken saddle

Thanks munimag, I will send you a PM to get some details. A 20mm post
may work with a shim.

saskatchewanian, I will let you know if this work out since he is much
closer.

--
lauraz
http://www.usenet.com

legtod2 January 14th 08 04:07 PM

Help with broken saddle

Its heart warming to see the unicycling community helping each other out
like this.

Good job every one.

--
legtod2