CycleBanter.com

-   Off Road (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Buying a new MTB (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=142337)

Auz August 15th 06 01:10 PM

Buying a new MTB

Hi,

I'm shopping for a new MTB. I will be putting road tyres on it and
using it to commute the 7 miles each way to work each day. Then
swapping the tyres over and getting muddy at the weekends. I'm looking
to spend in the region of £400.

I'm just waiting on Evans to get me a Q800 in at the moment, so I can
have a look at the weekend.

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=60947

Any good / bad points anyone knows. Would I be better off with
something else?

All advise greatfully recieved

cheers guys

Peter Clinch August 15th 06 01:52 PM

Buying a new MTB

Auz wrote:

I'm shopping for a new MTB. I will be putting road tyres on it and
using it to commute the 7 miles each way to work each day. Then
swapping the tyres over and getting muddy at the weekends.

That will get /very/ boring very quickly, I suspect. I'd suggest
budgeting for a replacement wheel set rather than just tyres (you could
put a closer spaced block on the road wheel too).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Auz August 15th 06 05:50 PM

Buying a new MTB

Peter Clinch wrote:

That will get /very/ boring very quickly, I suspect. I'd suggest
budgeting for a replacement wheel set rather than just tyres (you could
put a closer spaced block on the road wheel too).

Bloody good thinking. Cheers pete. I already have the tyres, a new
cassette - £35? wheels? what should I get for road use?

landotter August 15th 06 06:32 PM

Buying a new MTB

Peter Clinch wrote:
Auz wrote:

I'm shopping for a new MTB. I will be putting road tyres on it and
using it to commute the 7 miles each way to work each day. Then
swapping the tyres over and getting muddy at the weekends.

That will get /very/ boring very quickly, I suspect. I'd suggest
budgeting for a replacement wheel set rather than just tyres (you could
put a closer spaced block on the road wheel too).

Very much agreed. You'll want to run V-brakes or cantis if you do this,
as swapping wheels with disc rotors that will invariably not line up is
just as annoying as a tire swap. If you look around, a spare set isn't
expensive. Over here stateside, I've seen several nearly new 26"
wheelsets with street rubber being flogged for $50 on Craigslist
recently.

Alternately, and probably smarter, if you're locking outside, piece
together something more appropriate for commuting, that's also
hellaciously ugly and theft resistant.

[email protected] August 15th 06 08:05 PM

Buying a new MTB

Very much agreed. You'll want to run V-brakes or cantis if you do this,
as swapping wheels with disc rotors that will invariably not line up is
just as annoying as a tire swap.

Don't forget...if you do decide to buy an extra set of wheels (and you
have V-brakes), make sure both sets of rims have the same (or similar)
width.

If the width is identical on all your rims, then you shouldn't require
any adjustment of the V-brakes. If the widths are slightly different,
you should be able to use the barrel adjuster on the brake lever to
compensate without messing with your brake setup.

I am in the unfortunate situation where my rim widths are not equal.
In addition to the barrel adjuster on the brake lever, I have installed
in-line adjusters at the V-brake noodle. The extra adjustment allows
me to set a quick brake response (i.e. pads as close to rim as
possible) without having to tool around with the brakes.

HTH,
Dave

Paul August 17th 06 06:27 PM

Buying a new MTB

You really need to get two bikes. Changing tires or wheelsets for
different riding conditions will get to be such a pain in the ass that
you will find it convenient to choose not to ride.

A cheap road bike in today's world will be reiliable and fast, better
than the best racing bike of 20 years ago. Then you can justify buying
the off-road bike you really want.

David Martin August 17th 06 11:16 PM

Buying a new MTB

Paul wrote:
You really need to get two bikes. Changing tires or wheelsets for
different riding conditions will get to be such a pain in the ass that
you will find it convenient to choose not to ride.

Just fit it with road tyres. That will cope with all but the worst
mud/gravel/wet grass.

Then you'll only be bothered to change wheels if you are going off
somewhere special anyhow.

A cheap road bike in today's world will be reiliable and fast, better
than the best racing bike of 20 years ago. Then you can justify buying
the off-road bike you really want.

Absolutely. For 300 quid you can get something that is very reasonable
indeed.

..d

Auz August 22nd 06 04:53 PM

Buying a new MTB

Thanks for all your input Guys.

I bought the Felt Q800 (very pleased!) yesterday, and will deal with
swapping the tyres over for the time being while I decide whether to
a)buy a second set of wheels or b)buy a road bike in a couple of months
(funds permitting).

I think it's going to be the road bike. Probably a tourer, so I can
carry change of clothes / lunch etc. to work. Looked at a Dawes while I
was standing around for nearly an hour in Evans (they forgot to build
my bike!!!) The Galaxy - twice the price of a suggested road bike. I'll
investigate further.

Thanks again

Rob Morley August 22nd 06 11:43 PM

Buying a new MTB

In article om
Auz wrote:
Thanks for all your input Guys.

I bought the Felt Q800 (very pleased!) yesterday, and will deal with
swapping the tyres over for the time being while I decide whether to
a)buy a second set of wheels or b)buy a road bike in a couple of months
(funds permitting).

I think it's going to be the road bike. Probably a tourer, so I can
carry change of clothes / lunch etc. to work.

You don't need a tourer to do that - any sports bike can be fitted with
a beam rack to carry a large rack pack or small panniers, or you can get
quite a lot in a good old-fashioned saddlebag (the Carradice sort, not a
wedge pack).

Auz August 23rd 06 01:50 PM

Buying a new MTB

Rob Morley wrote:

You don't need a tourer to do that - any sports bike can be fitted with
a beam rack to carry a large rack pack or small panniers, or you can get
quite a lot in a good old-fashioned saddlebag (the Carradice sort, not a
wedge pack).

What do mean by sports bike? A road bike? With the amount of holes in
the road? I thought tourers were built a bit stronger with wider
wheels? Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know much...