CycleBanter.com

CycleBanter.com (http://www.cyclebanter.com/index.php)
-   Mountain Biking (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   IMBA Tries to Justify Mountain Biking with Junk Science (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=6410)

HCH April 2nd 04 08:04 AM

IMBA Tries to Justify Mountain Biking with Junk Science
 
And this was posted on April Fool's Day...



Gary S. April 3rd 04 03:47 PM

IMBA Tries to Justify Mountain Biking with Junk Science
 
On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 00:53:54 GMT, Mike Vandeman
wrote:

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:57:20 -0800, "Jeff Strickland" wrote:

.Why do you ALWAYS engage in schoolyard tactics? One would think that a PhD
.would be able to actually construct a sentence that supported his position.
.
Did you say something? I thought we ran you off to your mommy long ago. No one
wanted to hear what you had to say.
===

That didn't work with you. You insist on posting to people who do not
want to hear what you have to say, and then reposting the same stuff
over and over and . . .

And which "We" are you referring to as running him off? You and all of
your supporters could meet in a phone booth.

As far as I know, you are not an editor, or a king. No information as
to tapeworms.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
------------------------------------------------
at the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Please reply to: garyDOTschwartzATpoboxDOTcom

Mike Vandeman April 4th 04 03:40 PM

IMBA Tries to Justify Mountain Biking with Junk Science
 
On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 14:47:34 GMT, Gary S. [email protected] wrote:

..On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 00:53:54 GMT, Mike Vandeman
..wrote:
..
..On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:57:20 -0800, "Jeff Strickland" wrote:
..
...Why do you ALWAYS engage in schoolyard tactics? One would think that a PhD
...would be able to actually construct a sentence that supported his position.
...
..Did you say something? I thought we ran you off to your mommy long ago. No one
..wanted to hear what you had to say.
..===
..That didn't work with you. You insist on posting to people who do not
..want to hear what you have to say, and then reposting the same stuff
..over and over and . . .

You show a basic lack of understanding of newsgroups. Newsgroup messages are not
"to" anyone in particular. They are posted in a public place for anyone who
wants to read them. It's only your self-centeredness that makes you think they
are "to" you.

Jeff was run off by mountain bikers beating up on him (telling him the truth
about his sorry ass).
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

[email protected] April 8th 04 06:11 PM

IMBA Tries to Justify Mountain Biking with Junk Science
 
To use your own logic on you: your post is a lie because IMBA doesn't
conduct their studies as you claim, therefore all hikers and
environmentalists are LIARS, because you are a liar.

Post some facts Idiot, not unproven claims. Go lay under your tree and
imagine what the tree would say (reference to story on Vendamens
website about a cathartic moment in his life, the real truth is he was
hit in the head by a rock and didn't know it)

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:34:45 GMT, Mike Vandeman
wrote:

Anyone who bothers to read these "studies" will find that they actually prove
the OPPOSITE of what they CLAIM to prove! They actually examine only damage PER
MILE. Since mountain bikers typically travel several times as far as hikers (try
HIKING 25-50 miles in a day!), it follows FROM THEIR OWN RESEARCH that mountain
bikers have several times the impact of hikers. They also don't test mountain
biking under normal conditions: they simply roll passively down a gently sloping
hill -- no acceleration, no turns, no braking, all of which would apply shear
(horizontal) forces to the ground. In addition, almost all studies ignore
impacts on wildlife. As far as I know, every one of these "studies" was done by
(surprize, surprize) a mountain biker. Besides, they are irrelevant, because the
harm done by mountain biking is not related to the harm done by other
activities, such as hiking. The damage is the same, regardless of what hikers or
anyone else is doing!

Mike


Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:14:14 -0800 (PST)
From:
Subject: Google News Alert - mountain biking

PRESS RELEASE - New Science Review Indicates that Mountain Biking ...
Velonews - USA
IMBA has released a comprehensive review of scientific studies that examine
the impacts of mountain biking on trails, vegetation, and wildlife. ...
http://www.velonews.com/tech/research/articles/5803.0.html

FOREST Service decision will make trail changes
Reno Gazette Journal - Reno,NV,USA
... But mountain biking instructor and former racer Max Jones III of Carson
City said Tuesday the management plan is fair and necessary. ...
http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html/2004/03/30/67423.php?sp1=rgj&sp2=News&sp3=Local+News&sp5=RGJ. com&sp6=news&sp7=local_news&jsmultitag=news.rgj.co m/news/local
See all stories on this topic:
http://news.google.comhttp://news.google.com/news?ie=utf8&oe=utf8&persist=1&num=30&hl=en&client =google&newsclusterurl=http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html/2004/03/30/67423.php%3Fsp1%3Drgj%26sp2%3DNews%26sp3%3DLocal%2 BNews%26sp5%3DRGJ.com%26sp6%3Dnews%26sp7%3Dlocal_n ews%26jsmultitag%3Dnews.rgj.com/news/local

INTREPID Teens Wanted for Extreme Adventures
Scoop.co.nz (press release) - New Zealand
... These include mountain biking, rock climbing, abseiling, or flying
fox, water confidence course, raft building and kayaking and sailing.
...
http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/AK0403/S00261.htm

EXPO will offer seminars for novices and information on ...
San Jose Mercury News - San Jose,CA,USA
... My generation was single-focused. Now you've got a younger generation
that integrates fly fishing with other pursuits, such as mountain biking.
...
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/8321298.htm

This daily-once News Alert is brought to you by Google News (BETA)...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Create another News Alert:
http://www.google.com/newsalerts?hl=en

Try Google News:
http://news.google.com/
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande



real April 10th 04 11:38 PM

IMBA Tries to Justify Mountain Biking with Junk Science
 
i live and love mountain biking .i have been riding trails since before
there was mountain biking and the funny thing about that is the trails are
made by the feet of hikers the same guys that drive there cars down a huge
chunk of asfalt and tell me that im not kind to the enviroment . i just road
with the family to get groceries and there were more cars than bikes in that
parking lot. but vegitarians think there better than me too cause i eat beef
.. well you tree hugging animal saving bunch of hipocrits the only damage i
do worse than you is leave a tire track on your forhead if you dont move
your ass outa my way when you hear me commin .and did they drive to there
test location or hike or bike ?? bite me!!
wrote in message
...
To use your own logic on you: your post is a lie because IMBA doesn't
conduct their studies as you claim, therefore all hikers and
environmentalists are LIARS, because you are a liar.

Post some facts Idiot, not unproven claims. Go lay under your tree and
imagine what the tree would say (reference to story on Vendamens
website about a cathartic moment in his life, the real truth is he was
hit in the head by a rock and didn't know it)

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:34:45 GMT, Mike Vandeman
wrote:

Anyone who bothers to read these "studies" will find that they actually

prove
the OPPOSITE of what they CLAIM to prove! They actually examine only

damage PER
MILE. Since mountain bikers typically travel several times as far as

hikers (try
HIKING 25-50 miles in a day!), it follows FROM THEIR OWN RESEARCH that

mountain
bikers have several times the impact of hikers. They also don't test

mountain
biking under normal conditions: they simply roll passively down a gently

sloping
hill -- no acceleration, no turns, no braking, all of which would apply

shear
(horizontal) forces to the ground. In addition, almost all studies ignore
impacts on wildlife. As far as I know, every one of these "studies" was

done by
(surprize, surprize) a mountain biker. Besides, they are irrelevant,

because the
harm done by mountain biking is not related to the harm done by other
activities, such as hiking. The damage is the same, regardless of what

hikers or
anyone else is doing!

Mike


Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:14:14 -0800 (PST)
From:
Subject: Google News Alert - mountain biking

PRESS RELEASE - New Science Review Indicates that Mountain Biking ...
Velonews - USA
IMBA has released a comprehensive review of scientific studies that

examine
the impacts of mountain biking on trails, vegetation, and wildlife. ...
http://www.velonews.com/tech/research/articles/5803.0.html

FOREST Service decision will make trail changes
Reno Gazette Journal - Reno,NV,USA
... But mountain biking instructor and former racer Max Jones III of

Carson
City said Tuesday the management plan is fair and necessary. ...


http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html...1=rgj&sp2=News
&sp3=Local+News&sp5=RGJ.com&sp6=news&sp7=local_new s&jsmultitag=news.rgj.com/
news/local
See all stories on this topic:


http://news.google.comhttp://news.go...=utf8&persist=

1&num=30&hl=en&client=google&newsclusterurl=http ://www.rgj.com/news/stories/
html/2004/03/30/67423.php%3Fsp1%3Drgj%26sp2%3DNews%26sp3%3DLocal%2 BNews%26sp
5%3DRGJ.com%26sp6%3Dnews%26sp7%3Dlocal_news%26jsmu ltitag%3Dnews.rgj.com/news
/local

INTREPID Teens Wanted for Extreme Adventures
Scoop.co.nz (press release) - New Zealand
... These include mountain biking, rock climbing, abseiling, or flying
fox, water confidence course, raft building and kayaking and sailing.
...
http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/AK0403/S00261.htm

EXPO will offer seminars for novices and information on ...
San Jose Mercury News - San Jose,CA,USA
... My generation was single-focused. Now you've got a younger generation
that integrates fly fishing with other pursuits, such as mountain biking.
...
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/8321298.htm

This daily-once News Alert is brought to you by Google News (BETA)...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Create another News Alert:
http://www.google.com/newsalerts?hl=en

Try Google News:
http://news.google.com/
===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande






All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:48 PM.
Home - Home - Home - Home - Home

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CycleBanter.com