CycleBanter.com

-   -   Creaking pedals/cleats (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=257780)

Duane[_2_] July 23rd 19 05:23 PM

Creaking pedals/cleats

Look Keo 2 Max with grey cleats. What's the trick to stop them from
creaking? I switched from the grip cleats to the plain ones with the
white silicon ridges and the creaking stopped for a 1000km or so. But
now it's back.

Mostly happens climbing or with a head wind. So under pressure.

AMuzi July 23rd 19 07:06 PM

Creaking pedals/cleats

On 7/23/2019 11:23 AM, Duane wrote:
Look Keo 2 Max with grey cleats. What's the trick to stop
them from creaking? I switched from the grip cleats to the
plain ones with the white silicon ridges and the creaking
stopped for a 1000km or so. But now it's back.

Mostly happens climbing or with a head wind. So under
pressure.

Dust/grit on the nylon face. Shoot dry silicon spray
periodically, just like nylon drawer slides.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

JBeattie July 23rd 19 07:32 PM

Creaking pedals/cleats

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 11:06:51 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/23/2019 11:23 AM, Duane wrote:
Look Keo 2 Max with grey cleats. What's the trick to stop
them from creaking? I switched from the grip cleats to the
plain ones with the white silicon ridges and the creaking
stopped for a 1000km or so. But now it's back.

Mostly happens climbing or with a head wind. So under
pressure.

Dust/grit on the nylon face. Shoot dry silicon spray
periodically, just like nylon drawer slides.

And I put Armor-All on the cleat. I got squeaky cleats after the latest bike wash on Saturday. The Sunday ride was a squeak fest. I was embarrassed around other cyclists.

-- Jay Beattie.

Duane[_2_] July 23rd 19 09:08 PM

Creaking pedals/cleats

On 23/07/2019 2:32 p.m., jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 11:06:51 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/23/2019 11:23 AM, Duane wrote:
Look Keo 2 Max with grey cleats. What's the trick to stop
them from creaking? I switched from the grip cleats to the
plain ones with the white silicon ridges and the creaking
stopped for a 1000km or so. But now it's back.

Mostly happens climbing or with a head wind. So under
pressure.

Dust/grit on the nylon face. Shoot dry silicon spray
periodically, just like nylon drawer slides.

And I put Armor-All on the cleat. I got squeaky cleats after the latest bike wash on Saturday. The Sunday ride was a squeak fest. I was embarrassed around other cyclists.

-- Jay Beattie.

Armor-All? Isn't that like waxing your dancing shoes? But yeah the
noise was driving me crazy so maybe worth a try.

Duane[_2_] July 23rd 19 09:09 PM

Creaking pedals/cleats

On 23/07/2019 2:06 p.m., AMuzi wrote:
On 7/23/2019 11:23 AM, Duane wrote:
Look Keo 2 Max with grey cleats.Â* What's the trick to stop
them from creaking?Â* I switched from the grip cleats to the
plain ones with the white silicon ridges and the creaking
stopped for a 1000km or so.Â* But now it's back.

Mostly happens climbing or with a head wind.Â* So under
pressure.

Dust/grit on the nylon face. Shoot dry silicon spray periodically, just
like nylon drawer slides.

Thanks, I'll try that.

AMuzi July 23rd 19 09:18 PM

Creaking pedals/cleats

On 7/23/2019 3:09 PM, Duane wrote:
On 23/07/2019 2:06 p.m., AMuzi wrote:
On 7/23/2019 11:23 AM, Duane wrote:
Look Keo 2 Max with grey cleats. What's the trick to stop
them from creaking? I switched from the grip cleats to the
plain ones with the white silicon ridges and the creaking
stopped for a 1000km or so. But now it's back.

Mostly happens climbing or with a head wind. So under
pressure.

Dust/grit on the nylon face. Shoot dry silicon spray
periodically, just like nylon drawer slides.

Thanks, I'll try that.

As Jay notes, if you have ArmorAll handy that works just as
well, in the same way.

Duane[_4_] July 24th 19 01:01 AM

Creaking pedals/cleats

AMuzi wrote:
On 7/23/2019 3:09 PM, Duane wrote:
On 23/07/2019 2:06 p.m., AMuzi wrote:
On 7/23/2019 11:23 AM, Duane wrote:
Look Keo 2 Max with grey cleats. What's the trick to stop
them from creaking? I switched from the grip cleats to the
plain ones with the white silicon ridges and the creaking
stopped for a 1000km or so. But now it's back.

Mostly happens climbing or with a head wind. So under
pressure.

Dust/grit on the nylon face. Shoot dry silicon spray
periodically, just like nylon drawer slides.

Thanks, I'll try that.

As Jay notes, if you have ArmorAll handy that works just as
well, in the same way.

I have some silicon spray. I’ll try that. Thanks.

--
duane

Duane[_2_] July 24th 19 12:46 PM

Creaking pedals/cleats

On 23/07/2019 8:01 p.m., Duane wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
On 7/23/2019 3:09 PM, Duane wrote:
On 23/07/2019 2:06 p.m., AMuzi wrote:
On 7/23/2019 11:23 AM, Duane wrote:
Look Keo 2 Max with grey cleats. What's the trick to stop
them from creaking? I switched from the grip cleats to the
plain ones with the white silicon ridges and the creaking
stopped for a 1000km or so. But now it's back.

Mostly happens climbing or with a head wind. So under
pressure.

Dust/grit on the nylon face. Shoot dry silicon spray
periodically, just like nylon drawer slides.

Thanks, I'll try that.

As Jay notes, if you have ArmorAll handy that works just as
well, in the same way.

I have some silicon spray. I’ll try that. Thanks.

All was quiet on the ride in this morning but there weren't any hills to
test on. I did a few wind sprints to let people know I was nutty and
the cleats were quiet.

James[_8_] July 24th 19 11:38 PM

Creaking pedals/cleats

On 24/7/19 4:06 am, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/23/2019 11:23 AM, Duane wrote:
Look Keo 2 Max with grey cleats.Â* What's the trick to stop
them from creaking?Â* I switched from the grip cleats to the
plain ones with the white silicon ridges and the creaking
stopped for a 1000km or so.Â* But now it's back.

Mostly happens climbing or with a head wind.Â* So under
pressure.

Dust/grit on the nylon face. Shoot dry silicon spray periodically, just
like nylon drawer slides.

I cleaned mine after they started to make noise. Then I tried silicon
spray and that didn't do much for long.

Then I cleaned again and applied a smear of my *magic* chain wax/oil
lube to the top surface of the toe end of the cleat and the problem is
non existent.

YMMV.

--
JS

Duane[_4_] July 24th 19 11:48 PM

Creaking pedals/cleats

James wrote:
On 24/7/19 4:06 am, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/23/2019 11:23 AM, Duane wrote:
Look Keo 2 Max with grey cleats.* What's the trick to stop
them from creaking?* I switched from the grip cleats to the
plain ones with the white silicon ridges and the creaking
stopped for a 1000km or so.* But now it's back.

Mostly happens climbing or with a head wind.* So under
pressure.

Dust/grit on the nylon face. Shoot dry silicon spray periodically, just
like nylon drawer slides.

I cleaned mine after they started to make noise. Then I tried silicon
spray and that didn't do much for long.

Then I cleaned again and applied a smear of my *magic* chain wax/oil
lube to the top surface of the toe end of the cleat and the problem is
non existent.

YMMV.

Thanks for the tip. The silicon spray seems to be working so far.

--
duane