CycleBanter.com

-   -   Favorite biking snacks? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=259444)

Frank Krygowski[_4_] May 26th 20 06:58 PM

Favorite biking snacks?

Riffing off the "bonk" thread:

For most of my family's bicycling career (now approaching 50 years) we
took various snacks along on rides greater than 25 miles or so. But
somehow, with changes in life and changes in riding habits, we seem to
have gotten out of that snack habit.

On a couple of recent mid-30 miler rides on country roads, my wife
didn't bonk, but she certainly ran out of steam. During one of them, I
happened to find a gel packet buried in my bag, so I gave her that. It
helped noticeably; so we should get back to carrying snacks.

But I'd prefer something a little more like food, a little less like a
medical infusion. Since we're no longer performance riders, actually
stopping the bike to eat would be OK. even though on solo rides I prefer
to keep moving.

What are people's preferences for on-bike snacks?

--
- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] May 26th 20 08:01 PM

Favorite biking snacks?

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 7:58:40 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

My favorite food is no food. Sometimes it is a necessity. In that case low volume food with as much as possible readily available calories ; preferably liquid. Medical infusion is perfect. I'm riding bike not having dinner. If your wife didn't bonk but ran out of steam the food didn't help, the rest did.

Lou

Sir Ridesalot May 26th 20 08:06 PM

Favorite biking snacks?

On Tuesday, 26 May 2020 13:58:40 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

When I'm riding long distances or touring, I like to carry an assortment of nuts, dates, raisins dried apricots and maybe dried bananas. I snack on those as I ride. Sometimes I'll take a small stove and a can of something ad stop somewhere to enjoy the scenery and have a warm snack and cup of tea or coffee.

I've seen bicyclists pack what's basically a salad based meal, or sandwiches, in a plastic container and then put the container(s) inside their trunk-bag along with some ice or froze bottles of water

Cheers.

Radey Shouman May 26th 20 08:20 PM

Favorite biking snacks?

Frank Krygowski writes:

Riffing off the "bonk" thread:

For most of my family's bicycling career (now approaching 50 years) we
took various snacks along on rides greater than 25 miles or so. But
somehow, with changes in life and changes in riding habits, we seem to
have gotten out of that snack habit.

On a couple of recent mid-30 miler rides on country roads, my wife
didn't bonk, but she certainly ran out of steam. During one of them, I
happened to find a gel packet buried in my bag, so I gave her that. It
helped noticeably; so we should get back to carrying snacks.

But I'd prefer something a little more like food, a little less like a
medical infusion. Since we're no longer performance riders, actually
stopping the bike to eat would be OK. even though on solo rides I
prefer to keep moving.

What are people's preferences for on-bike snacks?

Raisins, dates, or other dried fruit, fruit leather (puree dried into a
sheet, apricot is a classic). These provide simple carbs with a little
taste and fiber.

Bertrand[_3_] May 26th 20 09:44 PM

Favorite biking snacks?

On 5/26/2020 1:58 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Riffing off the "bonk" thread:

For most of my family's bicycling career (now approaching 50 years) we took
various snacks along on rides greater than 25 miles or so. But somehow, with
changes in life and changes in riding habits, we seem to have gotten out of that
snack habit.

On a couple of recent mid-30 miler rides on country roads, my wife didn't bonk,
but she certainly ran out of steam. During one of them, I happened to find a gel
packet buried in my bag, so I gave her that. It helped noticeably; so we should
get back to carrying snacks.

But I'd prefer something a little more like food, a little less like a medical
infusion. Since we're no longer performance riders, actually stopping the bike
to eat would be OK. even though on solo rides I prefer to keep moving.

What are people's preferences for on-bike snacks?

I like Kashi chewy granola bars, especially the chocolate-almond ones. They
have a good mix of sugar and complex carbs.

[email protected] May 26th 20 10:50 PM

Favorite biking snacks?

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 12:01:55 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

That stuff you're speaking of disappears in minutes. It is in a form that is directly taken into the bloodstream through your stomach and isn't necessary to get into your intestines. But it is burned very rapidly. There is another form that is oily and it takes several hours to absorb and burn. I have a bottle of it around here somewhere but you cannot feel it working. You only notice the delay in exhaustion.

JBeattie May 26th 20 11:14 PM

Favorite biking snacks?

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 10:58:40 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Hammer HEED (drink), so long as I can get it pro-deal. Cliff Bars from Costco and GU packs for my birthday. Designer bike foods can be as expensive as magical chain oils, so I try to get things as cheaply as I can.

GU packs give you a little pop and are not serious food. Hammer HEED really makes my legs feel better, and makes me feel less fatigued. It could be placebo effect, but so what. Cliff Bars are food. If worse comes to worst, I'll stop at a 7-11 and get some donettes. Food of the gods. https://voltcandyonline.com/wp-conte...Donettes-1.jpg

Another good and cheap on-bike food is Fig Newtons. Don't put them in a bag. Let them get all crummy and funky in a jersey pocket. It adds to the flavor.

-- Jay Beattie.

Duane[_7_] May 27th 20 12:58 AM

Favorite biking snacks?

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I was using hammer heed for a while until someone suggested nuun tabs.
About the same effect for less money. And easy to cary a couple on the
ride.

A friend swears by fig newtons and she brings extra.