CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Bikesmith, Seattle, shutting down (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=1472)

Paul Hays January 17th 04 07:02 AM

The Bikesmith, Seattle, shutting down

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:35:07 -0800, Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote
(in message ) :

Zoot Katz wrote in message
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:47:16 GMT,
,
jeffbonny wrote:

What mail order don't got:

Soul.

Anybody know why the fuss about this shop?
I checked their website and this is their take of cycling:

"practical form of transportation, whether this means commuting, cargo
hauling, and delivery, touring, mobility in congested inner cities, or
primary transport for those who cannot operate motor vehicles"
Now that's not my kind of bike shop!

Did you read any further? It goes on to say:

".... We believe in bicycles as a passion - the passion of the racer, ekeing
out every possible bit of speed; the passion of the collector, restoring the
bike he rode as a child forty years ago; the passion of the homebuilding
tinkerer, putting together a chopper or a recumbent such as no one has ever
seen. We believe in bicycles as a triumphant example of elegant engineering
and efficiency. We believe in bicycles as art. We believe in making bicycling
possible for everyone who wants it."

What is your kind of bike shop?

And the owner seems to have an attitude issue with the face hair and
pony tail,
flexing his biceps, and tattos.

Biceps flexing is a take on the Rosie the Riveter "Together we can do it"
slogan, as seen at the top of the page http://www.thebikesmith.com/about.htm.

I'm not even sure where you got the bit about tattoos.

Who's got the attitude issue, really?

Zoot Katz January 17th 04 08:59 AM

The Bikesmith, Seattle, shutting down

16 Jan 2004 21:35:07 -0800,
,
The Only (Fabrizio Mazzoleni) wrote:

Anybody know why the fuss about this shop?

Fab, this is cross posted to a recumbent and a mountain bike group.
Figure it out.
--
zk

Zippy the Pinhead January 17th 04 02:21 PM

The Bikesmith, Seattle, shutting down

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 06:02:07 GMT, Paul Hays
wrote:

What is your kind of bike shop?

Latte', Lycra, and K-Y Jelly.

Davey Crockett January 17th 04 02:37 PM

wrote:

What is your kind of bike shop?

Latte', Lycra, and K-Y Jelly.

Just for interest since I haven't been to Marymoor for donkey's years, or ridden STP recently either, is Stu Hennessey still running his shop out on the island please?
--
le Vent a Dos
Davey Crockett

Steve Knight January 17th 04 06:37 PM

The Bikesmith, Seattle, shutting down

I am about 1/2 local and 1/2 net/ebay. I try to buy locally if at all possible
sometimes I can't find it locally or I can't afford it. MY bike is 8 speeds so
most of the drive train parts I have to get somewhere else.
I rather buy locally if at all possible though.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Steve Knight January 17th 04 06:48 PM

The Bikesmith, Seattle, shutting down

The people that **** me off are the ones who buy the part online, try
to install it, then walk the bike into the shop and expect the crew to
fix their stuff-up for free.

cheap people are always that way. the less they pay the more service they
expect. seems just the nature of such people.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Steve Knight January 17th 04 07:00 PM

The Bikesmith, Seattle, shutting down

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:32:37 -0500, "tcmedara"

All true. And that's why I think there will always be a need for local bike
shops. But if they can't do it competitively, then I shouldn't be expected
to subsidize them. That's economically unsustainable.

people are cheap. we can see that in the lower quality products that flood the
market. service is expensive and people don't like paying for it till they need
it. things have changed pretty dramatically. the internet is far cheaper to run
a business from then a local place that has real people that provide real help.
by the time people figure out that they may actually want a higher price if
they get the service it is too late.
all of the small mom and pop hardware stores home depot and other borgs drove
out of business. now how many complaints do you see of lack of good help and
poor service? now those people want those stores back but it is too late.
people don't always use their brains and buy the cheapest then they regret it
but the damage is done.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Hunrobe January 18th 04 04:18 AM

The Bikesmith, Seattle, shutting down

"onefred"

wrote in part:

Monday, I walked into my nearest LBS who is a Specialized dealer in a posh
neighborhood and ordered an S-Works frame. This is the same LBS that I had
previously bought an almost $4K mtn. bike from in the past. Of course, they
had no idea who I was and haven't for a long time. Of course, in three
months time they will no longer remember me. Of course they are d*ckheads
unless you are getting ready to plop down big money on a bike or frame. Of
course their prices are much too high (often over MSRP).

If all the above is true- no regard for customers except as a source of
immediate and substantial profit, arrogant attitude, and overpriced- why the
hell did you buy a bike there? Since you had to *order* it you seem to lack
even the excuse of "wanting it NOW!".

Regards,
Bob Hunt

cheg January 19th 04 07:45 AM

The Bikesmith, Seattle, shutting down

"HardwareLust" wrote in message

There are indeed still good LBS's our there, and there are three in

the
Seattle area that I know of, and I'll happily drive or ride for

miles to go
visit or if I need something immeadiately. Unfortunately,

Bikesmith is one
of them, so we're probably down to two now.

What are the other shops that you like? I used to go to Wright Bros.
when I lived in Ballard but it's pretty far from my house now.

Fabrizio Mazzoleni January 22nd 04 04:20 AM

Paul Hays wrote in message
Did you read any further? It goes on to say:

".... We believe in bicycles as a passion - the passion of the racer, ekeing
out every possible bit of speed; the passion of the collector, restoring the
bike he rode as a child forty years ago; the passion of the homebuilding
tinkerer, putting together a chopper or a recumbent

Reading that far is the problem, he talks about recumbents and
choppers -whatever a chopper is?

I'm not even sure where you got the bit about tattoos.

By the look of the guy in the picture, those types always have ugly
tattoos all over themselves.

This is what a bike shop is:
www.campionecycles.com

A real road shop doesn't care if it takes them forever to get a
website up and running.