CycleBanter.com

-   Australia (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   cleaning fun...(not) (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=56216)

Tim Jones October 7th 03 04:27 AM

cleaning fun...(not)

"Deep Freud Moors" wrote in message

Crikey, do I have to go back to my original statement yet again???

You can always tell when Steve Urwin has been on the TV ;-)

Very good interview on Denton's show.

Tim

Mike October 7th 03 07:57 AM

cleaning fun...(not)

Theo Bekkers wrote:

The primary purpose of grease is lubrication. Grease is just very
thick oil.

Not quite, Theo. In common english usage, "grease" can refer to
solid oils, such as animal fat. But lubricating "grease" is
completely different. It just looks the same, hence the same name.
As he said, its oil + thickeners.

http://www.lubems.com/Composition.htm

Theo Bekkers October 7th 03 12:11 PM

cleaning fun...(not)

"Mike" wrote
Theo Bekkers wrote:

The primary purpose of grease is lubrication. Grease is just very
thick oil.

Not quite, Theo. In common english usage, "grease" can refer to
solid oils, such as animal fat. But lubricating "grease" is
completely different. It just looks the same, hence the same name.
As he said, its oil + thickeners.

I believe the context of the discussion was grease as used on
bicycles. I don't think anyone was advocating the use of chicken fat
in their bottom bracket. :-)

Theo

Arpit October 7th 03 02:28 PM

Hosing a bike

Is it ok to hose a bike to clean it?

Arpit October 7th 03 02:28 PM

Hosing a bike

Is it ok to hose a bike to clean it?

Al User October 7th 03 06:20 PM

Hosing a bike

Arpit wrote:

Is it ok to hose a bike to clean it?

Yes, but use a low pressure garden hose and try not to concentrate
the stream at the hubs, bottom bracket or steerer tube.

A shimano team mechanic I was talking with a few years ago said
that he only ever used a bucket, a small amount of dishwashing
detergent and a large soft brush (like a dustpan brush).
The point was that he washed and serviced the team bikes after
*every* ride, so the dirt was never caked on to a point that it
had to be blasted off

Al.