CycleBanter.com

-   -   Asda £70 BSO (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=206551)

Marc[_2_] July 22nd 09 08:19 PM

Asda £70 BSO

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...sda-cheap-bike

I've just seen it advertised on TV. with the fork back to front!

Tom Crispin July 22nd 09 09:32 PM

Asda £70 BSO

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:19:06 +0100, Marc
wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...sda-cheap-bike

I've just seen it advertised on TV. with the fork back to front!

I was amused to read in the Product Details page for the girls' single
speed and boys' single speed bikes that they will be ready to ride
once assembled so long as the gears are adjusted.

http://direct.asda.com/British-Eagle...efault,pd.html

Ben C July 22nd 09 09:42 PM

Asda £70 BSO

wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...sda-cheap-bike

I've just seen it advertised on TV. with the fork back to front!

I was amused to read in the Product Details page for the girls' single
speed and boys' single speed bikes that they will be ready to ride
once assembled so long as the gears are adjusted.

http://direct.asda.com/British-Eagle...efault,pd.html

Sad that it's badged British Eagle. Wasn't that once a fairly proud
brand? Coventry Eagles were certainly quite nice bikes.

killermike[_3_] July 22nd 09 09:52 PM

Asda £70 BSO

Marc wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...sda-cheap-bike

I've just seen it advertised on TV. with the fork back to front!

Sounds like a bit of snobbery there. At least this ASDA bike is an attempt
to cobble together a simple bike rather than full-suspension jobby. One of
the commenters makes an excellent point about the fact that consumers
demand a mountain bike rather than a road bike. Sounds like the setup could
have been better, but she says that she got a someone from the ASDA PR
department to assemble it for her(!?). I agree with the advice that second
hand one would probably be a better starting point for most people.

--
http://www.unmusic.co.uk/ Michael Reed -- technology, gender, and geek
culture freelance writer. Buy my article compilation book, Tech Book 1.

Marc[_2_] July 22nd 09 09:57 PM

Asda £70 BSO

killermike wrote:
Marc wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...sda-cheap-bike

I've just seen it advertised on TV. with the fork back to front!

Sounds like a bit of snobbery there.

Snobbery?????

The ****ing thing is advertised on national TV wrongly assembled, and
this on a product that the buyer is meant to assemble themselves. If the
seller can't manage to assemble it properly then who can?

John Kane July 22nd 09 10:00 PM

Asda £70 BSO

On Jul 22, 4:52*pm, killermike wrote:
Marc wrote:
*http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...sda-cheap-bike

I've just seen it advertised on TV. with the fork back to front!

Sounds like a bit of snobbery there. At least this ASDA bike is an attempt
to cobble together a simple bike rather than full-suspension jobby. One of
the commenters makes an excellent point about the fact that consumers
demand a mountain bike rather than a road bike. Sounds like the setup could
have been better, but she says that she got a someone from the ASDA PR
department to assemble it for her(!?). I agree with the advice that second
hand one would probably be a better starting point for most people.

I've seen a friend buy the Canadian equivalent. It was a piece of
junk before it was incompetently assembled. I doubt if she was being
snobbish as much as realistic.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Nigel Cliffe[_3_] July 22nd 09 10:20 PM

Asda £70 BSO

On 2009-07-22, Tom Crispin
wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...sda-cheap-bike

I've just seen it advertised on TV. with the fork back to front!

http://direct.asda.com/British-Eagle...efault,pd.html

Sad that it's badged British Eagle. Wasn't that once a fairly proud
brand? Coventry Eagles were certainly quite nice bikes.

Not bad for the period, though not massively special in the 1970's. I'm
still using a circa 1977/8 Coventry Eagle for shopping and leaving at the
station. Frame, forks, mudguards, brake calipers, steering bearings, bottom
bracket shells and seatpost are originals, everything else has been
replaced/upgraded/changed over time.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Roger Merriman[_3_] July 22nd 09 10:35 PM

Asda £70 BSO

Marc wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...sda-cheap-bike

I've just seen it advertised on TV. with the fork back to front!

it's target market ie cheap bike to ride around a park or maybe to the
shops and back rather than walking it would probably be okay, though as
a bike it's a misrable example.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Pip Ryder July 22nd 09 11:19 PM

Asda £70 BSO

Roger Merriman wrote:

it's target market ie cheap bike to ride around a park or maybe to the
shops and back

Yeah. I know the kind of target market that you refer to...

Those chavs who shop at ASDA, the kind of people that you might expect
to put apostrophes in inappropriate places!

Judith M Smith July 23rd 09 12:01 AM

Asda £70 BSO

wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...sda-cheap-bike

I've just seen it advertised on TV. with the fork back to front!

Yes of course you did.

It's rather odd as the front fork is already connected to the frame
when you buy it - and you don't have to do it as part of the
self-assembly.

Well we will have to take your word for that won't we.

Did you see the bit in the Guardian: "bike snobs" using term BSO - ho,
ho, ho - what can they mean.

--
Don't forget - vote NO to the censored group :
uk.rec.cycling.moderated.