CycleBanter.com

-   Marketplace (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How much does it realistically cost to ship a bike? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=104226)

Velo Psycho February 4th 05 11:42 PM

How much does it realistically cost to ship a bike?

Look at some of these shipping prices for bikes on Ebay... $60, one
seller even has $100 shipping charges.

What gives? Any theories? Is this just "price padding" or is it
something with a legit explanation?

[email protected] February 4th 05 11:59 PM

Velo Psycho wrote:
Look at some of these shipping prices for bikes on Ebay... $60, one
seller even has $100 shipping charges.

What gives? Any theories? Is this just "price padding" or is it
something with a legit explanation?

I was charging $90 fo shipping for a bike and mentioned that it was to
have my LBS pack and ship it professionally... which is what they
charged me. So it wasn't price padding in my opinion. I was just
trying to recover the amount that I paid to "have it done right."

Richard

Dave Thompson February 5th 05 12:05 AM

Velo Psycho wrote:
Look at some of these shipping prices for bikes on Ebay... $60, one
seller even has $100 shipping charges.

What gives? Any theories? Is this just "price padding" or is it
something with a legit explanation?

I've shipped complete bikes, in a standard cardboard bike box, from
Washington State to the East Coast for about $45.00. This does *not* include
the materials I used (foam tubing, bubble wrap, packing tape, peanuts, hot
glue) or the almost two hours spent disassembling the bike, padding the bike
and all the parts, stiffening the bikebox so it doen't get crushed and
carefully packing the bike in the box so it doesn't move. When a bike is
merely thrown into a box and transported by common carrier, you are inviting
*lots* of potential damage.

There is no telling how good the job is until you receive it. I can't speak
for others, but as an individual I don't charge for my time, only the
shipping. Bike shops will charge for the packaging in addition to the
shipping charges, and if they do a decent job, they are entitled to it. It
is a *giant* PITA to properly prepare and pack a complete bike for safe
shipping.

[email protected] February 5th 05 12:06 AM

How much does it realistically cost to ship a bike?

I can' t speak to the extra packing charge, but the actual shipping
charge depends on the size of the box. For example, a bike I recently
bought cost $85 to ship from MI to CA via FedEx Ground, which is
usually the cheapest provider. However, had the box been 1 inch
smaller in length and height, it would have not been Oversize2 and the
cost would be $37. So check your box size carefully...

Gwood February 5th 05 12:49 AM

How much does it realistically cost to ship a bike?

Both. Some folks advertise "professionally" packed, which can easily add
$50 to shipping costs. I think the physical transport of a bike in a box
from A to B usually maxes out around $50 from coast to coast in the US.
This price is for an average size MTB. A road frame or larger sized frame
might tip into another class of oversized, as another poster mentioned.

The last bike that was shipped to me was something like $75, which I
considered fair. The packing materials were effective (lots of old cardboard
shoved between all metal parts), the bike was only slightly disassembled
(pedals removed, steerer loosened, seatpost/seat and wheels removed and hubs
padded). I suspect the pack job was a 20 minute effort mainly because that's
about how long it took me to re-assemble it. On the few occassions where
I've shipped bikes I haven't charged for my time, but, hey, some folks do.

Certainly I've seen other items on eBay that have outrageous shipping costs
to offset "deals" on pricing. At least with bikes you can argue the case for
proper packing.

ups.com...

Paul Kopit February 5th 05 12:55 AM

On 4 Feb 2005 15:06:58 -0800, wrote:

smaller in length and height, it would have not been Oversize2 and the
cost would be $37. So check your box size carefully...

That is about the charge that I usually pay for shipping. I pack the
bike myself and find a box that meets the specifications.

Paul Kopit February 5th 05 12:57 AM

How much does it realistically cost to ship a bike?

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 15:05:55 -0800, "Dave Thompson"
wrote:

is a *giant* PITA to properly prepare and pack a complete bike for safe
shipping.

I haven't had that much difficulty. If I can get the box with the
packaging materials that the original bicycle came in, it only takes a
few minutes.

Dave Thompson February 5th 05 01:35 AM

wrote:

is a *giant* PITA to properly prepare and pack a complete bike for
safe shipping.

I haven't had that much difficulty. If I can get the box with the
packaging materials that the original bicycle came in, it only takes a
few minutes.

I *don't* pack a bike with the original packaging materials. The bikes that
I've sold have been high-end and insured for a great deal of money. If
anything, I'll over protect it as I'm willing to spend the time to insure
that the person that bought my bike receives it in perfect conditon. And
rarely can I get a box that is the correct size for the bike I'm shipping.

Qui si parla Campagnolo February 5th 05 03:00 PM

How much does it realistically cost to ship a bike?

Velo- Look at some of these shipping prices for bikes on Ebay... $60, one
seller even has $100 shipping charges.

What gives? Any theories? Is this just "price padding" or is it
something with a legit explanation? BRBR

I answer-for a retail place, it does cost time and $ to pack the thing well.
Plus shipping a bicycle via FedEx is about $25. We charge $60 to pack and ship.
Need to remember the 'pack part.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Matt O'Toole February 5th 05 09:48 PM

wrote:

is a *giant* PITA to properly prepare and pack a complete bike for
safe shipping.

I haven't had that much difficulty. If I can get the box with the
packaging materials that the original bicycle came in, it only takes a
few minutes.

Some people can't get the original packing materials, have no way to find them
and transport them home, and have never packed a bike before so they're not
confident doing it. They don't want to risk damage, or angering an a-hole
eBayer, so they simply let the "pros" do it and charge accordingly to cover the
cost. There's nothing wrong with this, as long as the charges are stated
clearly up front. In a major metro area where costs are higher, it wouldn't be
unusual to pay $90 for packing labor plus shipping.

Our local shop will pack a bike cheaply enough that it's not worth messing
with -- not even worth lugging a box home for. They do a great job, too.

If I do pack and ship a bike myself, I generally use Fedex Ground, which is
cheaper for bikes than UPS -- less than $30 coast to coast. Most bike shops
deal only with UPS. While they pay the lower business rates, it's still more
expensive. Many people are simply unaware of their options, other than waltzing
into the nearest Mailboxes, Etc., and paying whatever is asked.

Matt O.