CycleBanter.com

-   -   today's ride (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=255733)

Joy Beeson April 18th 18 03:50 AM

today's ride

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 08:41:06 +1000, James
wrote:

A cotton shirt is fine for a short trip to the shops.

In hot weather, nothing beats wet linen.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Duane[_4_] April 18th 18 11:06 AM

today's ride

Tim McNamara wrote:
On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 15:05:49 +1000, James
wrote:

In six months the weather will be fairly similar to now, except
perhaps a little more wind from the West. We've just started "the
dry". For six months we get cool nights, clear sky and warm days,
with very little chance of rain.

88km this morning. Only had the lycra skin suit on, and I was still
sweating.

Good grief, that sounds nice (as I look at 16" of snow that fell in the
past four days). 1/3 of the way through the year and I've been able to
get out on three (fairly unpleasant) bikes rides so far. And barely
anything approach normal temperatures forecast befre the end of the
month.

The worst "spring" I can recall. Effin' sux.

+1

--
duane

AMuzi April 18th 18 02:09 PM

today's ride

wrote:

In six months the weather will be fairly similar to now, except
perhaps a little more wind from the West. We've just started "the
dry". For six months we get cool nights, clear sky and warm days,
with very little chance of rain.

88km this morning. Only had the lycra skin suit on, and I was still
sweating.

Good grief, that sounds nice (as I look at 16" of snow that fell in the
past four days). 1/3 of the way through the year and I've been able to
get out on three (fairly unpleasant) bikes rides so far. And barely
anything approach normal temperatures forecast befre the end of the
month.

The worst "spring" I can recall. Effin' sux.

+1

although Tim suffers more it just sucks he
https://www.channel3000.com/news/his...rees/730986688

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Joerg[_2_] April 18th 18 03:49 PM

today's ride

On 2018-04-16 11:49, Duane wrote:
On 16/04/2018 2:01 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 4:10:46 AM UTC-7, Duane
wrote:
James wrote:
On 14/04/18 22:42, AMuzi wrote:
Cold, windy, sleet, grey, dismal, blecchhh.

https://www.channel3000.com/news/loo...hail/729197821

Nope. Clear blue sky. Hardly a breeze. 31 degrees C. Very little
traffic. One other bike rider, an 80 year old fellow
out for a 30km ride on his electric assist bike.

Give it 6 months and report back. :-)

Snow, sleet, hail, freezing rain and rain here in the
last 24 hours. And 45k winds to churn things up. We are
also waiting for spring in June. But we’re taking this
wait and see approach...

It's not so bad here. The people in Minneapolis mock us --
as they should:
https://blogs.mprnews.org/statewide/...o-bad-weather/

I've been in Quebec for a long time now but I remember going for
training in Minneapolis/St. Paul. I think that it's a close
call which place is the coldest I've been between here and
there.

Rain and even light snow is no big deal if you're dressed
right. The second I feel freezing rain, I turn around and
go home. Even with studs, freezing rain and sheet ice is a
no-go. Apart from crashing, it is also the worst possible
riding condition -- freezing and wet.

The deal is that no rain gear keeps you dry forever. You
will soak through eventually, and then its a matter of
whether you can stay warm. In freezing and near freezing
rain, I'm miserable after soak-through even with poly pro,
wool (name the magical fabric). Throw in a descent in
freezing/near-freezing rain, and I go hypothermic. I did a
day-long ride in near freezing rain with snow at the top of
a climb (Larch Mountain). Climbing was easy because I was
generating heat, but the 14 mile descent about killed me. I
was shivering so hard I could barely hold my bars. I tried
to channel Andy Hampsten, but it didn't work.
https://tinyurl.com/yd53bgul

Last race I did was in the hills north of here at Park
Mauricie. 105km with 1500 meters. The first half was
pouring cold rain where you went between freezing on the
descents and sweating on the climbs. I remember my eyes were
burning on a climb when the rain washed sweat into them.

That is how I learned that I shall wear my head sweat band also
in winter weather. No more sweat washing down into the eyes.
It's good policy to carry two of those for swapping when soaked
through. A sweat band airing out under the saddle isn't a
pretty sight but sure beats burning eyes.

About the best you can do is to find something light enough
to keep you relatively warm so that when it stops you can
pack it up easily.

A very thin tight rain coat would be nice, one that can be
rolled up into a very small ball when not in use.

Showers Pass. It's the best. -- Mario.

https://www.showerspass.com/collecti...t=27454434053#

Not bad and probably very durable. I have something similar for dog
walks in the rain but it's too big even when rolled up as tightly
as possible.

It doesn't rain often on bike rides out here but when it does it
can be pelting.

Da bomb:
https://www.showerspass.com/collecti...nt=27454406469
I know -- it's too expensive, and it is, but I got the predecessor of
this jacket for about half-price, and my son got that jacket
yesterday pro deal, so it was just ridiculously expensive but not
hors categorie ridiculously expensive. It is light, packable, well
vented and very effective. It's a local company, although production
is probably overseas (I haven't looked at my label recently).

$289 ... ouch. I wasn't planning on that knd of investment just for a
rain jacket that gets used occasionally.

There are many other jackets on the market, but getting one that is
light, packable, well vented and effective is a real trick. My
commuter jacket is an old Gore Alp-X I got off a sale table. It's a
fine jacket but it's not packable, it is now leaking (it's old), and
it never vented that well -- but it is more durable than the Spring
Classic jacket and more in line with the beefier Showers Pass jackets
like the Elite or Transit jackets. If you wear a backpack or beat up
jackets, you need something that will not be packable -- at least not
packable in a jersey pocket. You could stuff any jacket into a
pannier pocket.

I hardly ever ride with the hydration pack anymore except on routes that
require more than 1-1/2 gallons of water to be carried. Stuffing into
the panniers is ok for no-cargo rides like yesterday when I carried a
friend's jacket in a pannier. Sure enough we forgot to pull it out when
we cycled by his house but he later joined us for dinner and I could
give it back.

I like this video from Showers Pass --
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=SIzz9VBdKCU It
shows you Larch Mountain, but then bounces to NW Newberry Road and
then up on Skyline. Odd editing. Anyway, :30 is pretty typical of
the ascent/descent. It gets cold, and its 14 miles long. Another fun
factoid, the part of NW Newberry shown in the video now looks like
this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ0siGJIUFk You have to hoof
it around the barriers.

One of my favorite bike routes of the past still looks like this and
it's been more than a year, except now there are three rock slides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-5h5drx_9A

The usual, several agencies duking it out about who is responsible or
whatever. Government at its finest. Some people shoulder their bikes and
climb across.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Joerg[_2_] April 18th 18 05:27 PM

today's ride

On 2018-04-16 22:05, James wrote:
On 16/04/18 21:10, Duane wrote:
James wrote:
On 14/04/18 22:42, AMuzi wrote:
Cold, windy, sleet, grey, dismal, blecchhh.

https://www.channel3000.com/news/loo...hail/729197821

Nope. Clear blue sky. Hardly a breeze. 31 degrees C. Very little
traffic. One other bike rider, an 80 year old fellow out for
a 30km ride on his electric assist bike.

Give it 6 months and report back. :-)

In six months the weather will be fairly similar to now, except
perhaps a little more wind from the West. We've just started
"the dry". For six months we get cool nights, clear sky and warm
days, with very little chance of rain.

88km this morning. Only had the lycra skin suit on, and I was
still sweating.

Have you tried cotton? I tried some cycling clothes early on in my
20's which made me sweat profusely and the skin itch, even gave me
rashes. A cotton T-shirt and jeans shorts ... no problem, that's
how I go riding all the time now.

Reminds me of people who ski in jeans.

That would have been me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZphvfAQmQ2I -- Pretty good wet
weather advice.

This guy suits up like a serious motorcycle rider. If it's not very
cold, meaning below 40F, I'd cycle in T-shirt and jeans shorts. IF too
cold I'd use the car.

... I use PI Amfibs and not rain pants. I hate the
flapping, and I use Goretex booties -- although I have a bunch of
neoprene booties, too. No Lake shoes. It's another funny video that
cuts together places in the West Hills.

I don't like much flapping either. T-shirts do flap a little but that's
tolerable.

Regards,

Joerg

Joerg[_2_] April 18th 18 05:37 PM

today's ride

On 2018-04-16 22:05, James wrote:

88km this morning. Only had the lycra skin suit on, and I was
still sweating.

Have you tried cotton?

I'm big on cotton too, but then I cycle in street clothes except for
my rain jacket.

That is the other advantage. I can cycle to a church meeting or other
event without looking like a Tour de France rider.

But the Australian heat is something else, very different from
California, where even a hot day would be a cool day in Australia.
And where James lives, in Queensland IIRC, there's high humidity as
well. You'd sweat right through cotton too.

It can get to about 110F here but then it is usually a dry heat. On more
humid days I sweat through the T-shirt quickly. If on a trip to
somewhere where that isn't appropriate I either carry a 2nd (nicer)
T-shirt in a pannier or bring along some kitchen-size Kleenex sheets
that I lay under the T-shirt before I get there.

Thing is, no matter how fancy the jersey fabric a rider will sweat. If
that sweat can't evaporate due to high humidity it'll linger around in
any case. I've "enjoyed" the fragrance of sweaty riders in expensive
team jerseys while at pubs. It's not pretty. On cycling friend carries a
small can of deodorant along for that (no kidding).

Joerg[_2_] April 18th 18 06:14 PM

today's ride

wrote:

In six months the weather will be fairly similar to now, except
perhaps a little more wind from the West. We've just started "the
dry". For six months we get cool nights, clear sky and warm days,
with very little chance of rain.

88km this morning. Only had the lycra skin suit on, and I was still
sweating.

Good grief, that sounds nice (as I look at 16" of snow that fell in the
past four days). 1/3 of the way through the year and I've been able to
get out on three (fairly unpleasant) bikes rides so far. And barely
anything approach normal temperatures forecast befre the end of the
month.

The worst "spring" I can recall. Effin' sux.

+1

+2

Just fired up the wood stove. In California, almost end of April!

Global warming ... phhht.

James[_8_] April 18th 18 11:55 PM

today's ride

On 19/04/18 05:32, Joerg wrote:

BTW, the rash thing also happened with the hydration pack belts
especially where they touched skin. Sleeving cut-open cotton tube socks
over them made that problem go away.

You have a woman's skin, my lord...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EfW9znJYjw

--
JS

Andre Jute[_2_] April 19th 18 01:02 AM

today's ride

wrote:

In six months the weather will be fairly similar to now, except
perhaps a little more wind from the West. We've just started "the
dry". For six months we get cool nights, clear sky and warm days,
with very little chance of rain.

88km this morning. Only had the lycra skin suit on, and I was still
sweating.

Good grief, that sounds nice (as I look at 16" of snow that fell in the
past four days). 1/3 of the way through the year and I've been able to
get out on three (fairly unpleasant) bikes rides so far. And barely
anything approach normal temperatures forecast befre the end of the
month.

The worst "spring" I can recall. Effin' sux.

+1

+2

Just fired up the wood stove. In California, almost end of April!

Miserable here too. Actually the temps would be okay, and I don't mind overcast skies, but 50kph winds all the way from the Urals bring with them a wind chill factor that makes me wonder about turning the central heating back on.

Global warming ... phhht.

As usual, I was ahead of the curve, and abused for it by the stupider cyclists, when my sig line, about twelve or fifteen years ago, was "Bring back global warming!"

AJ
Global warming is great for hungry people

Joy Beeson April 19th 18 04:14 AM

today's ride

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 10:36:36 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

not rain pants. I hate the flapping,

I pin my wind pants at the ankles, then smooth them upward and wrap
half a drawstring around my leg just below the knee. This stops all
flapping, and keeps the pants from snagging on the bike.

The string must be wrapped twice. It is very mysterious, but if it is
wrapped only once, it won't hold. The string should be tight enough
that you can feel it while tying the knot, and loose enough that you
don't feel it after the knot is snugged down.

I have no rain gear at all. If I'm going to be wet, I prefer rain
water to sweat.

I bought a rain cape once. I put it into my pannier, went for a ride,
as I was leaving a mall parking lot it started to rain, I stopped and
put the cape on, looked back to see whether it was safe to start
moving, got off, and put the cape back into the pannier. It hung on a
hook in the back entry until it rotted and I threw it away.