CycleBanter.com

-   Recumbent Biking (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   adventures with nexus roller brake install (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=92051)

merryfreakinxmas July 14th 05 10:13 AM

adventures with nexus roller brake install

Hiya
I took possession of the external geared 7 sp hub on Thursday with the
plan cooked up by the owner, Mark, of the LBS and myself. That I build the
wheel and ride the bent back to the bike shop. At which point the owner
would install the brake for me. I reluctantly agreed mostly because he kept
telling me that the conversion "is a pain in the ass".
On the way home I realised that the roller brake makes up some of the hub
spacing between the dropouts and to dish the wheel I will need the brake.

Went back on Friday and bought the brake, cable, casing and cluster. Mark
also gave me a hollow axle "just in case" "Pay for it if you use it or
return it if you don't"

My first problem was with the nut that holds on the brake, it was the wrong
thread. So I go into the closet and take an axle nut off an old bike.

Started prepping for building my wheel on Sunday night about 4pm. First
changed the solid axle to a hollow one. This required taking a 14mm open end
wrench and grinding it a bit thinner. I could have used a 14mm cone wrench
but I didn't have one but I do have a dremel. ;- I have to say when I
unlocked those nuts on the nexus hub axle it is the first time I ever heard
a loud snapping noise. I thought for sure I broke something. In retrospect a
cone wrench would not have taken that much torque.

Next I packed the nexus with grease and realised the 8sp axle was too long
for the 7sp nexus. Once again dremel to the rescue.

Laced the wheel and started truing and tensioning on Sunday night then went
to bed.

Finished tensioning the wheel on monday morning, installed the tire, pumped
it up, put it on the bike. about a minute later I hear a creaking noise. I
have about 3 seconds to make a decision. 1/ try to remove air from the tire
or 2/ put my fingers in my ears. I choice #2 since the room I was working in
is about 10 x 15 ft and the door was closed. Then I have a Ghostbusters
flashback "I've been slimed"

I need to check the bead area on the rim for a sharp edge. tires only last a
few thousand km on this bike.

Switched to premo comets.

Anyone know if it is normal for the wire bead to rust after a few months of
riding?

Adjusted the shifting and the brake. The brake is very easy to adjust and
locks up with just two fingers.

Test ride around the apartment building parking lot on Tuesday.

Rode to work on Wednesday and noticed clunking noises when riding over
pavement seams. I know it was coming from the brake because when I applied
light pressure to the lever the noise stopped. Bought some oil for the brake
after work on the way home. The brake is much quieter and only makes noise
over rough sections.

Maybe it needs more cable tension?

I will keep you all posted on what I find.