CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   bicycle seat that won't hurt my bottom (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=236719)

Bill Proms May 21st 12 03:55 AM

bicycle seat that won't hurt my bottom

I've been cycling off and on for nearly a year. When I started, I'd ride
about 8 miles and didn't have much, if any, of my bottom hurting. Now that
I'm doubling the distance, lately my bottom has been hurting a little more
and I wonder if I could change the seat to something better. I'm overweight
by about 40 lbs, so that doesn't help when sitting on a small seat. One
time I had a pilonidal cyst removed from my bottom and the irritation I'm
getting is appearing in that area and I don't want to agitate it any
further.

So, recommendations for a seat would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Tom $herman (-_-) May 21st 12 07:45 AM

On 5/20/2012 9:55 PM, Bill Proms wrote:
I've been cycling off and on for nearly a year. When I started, I'd ride
about 8 miles and didn't have much, if any, of my bottom hurting. Now
that I'm doubling the distance, lately my bottom has been hurting a
little more and I wonder if I could change the seat to something better.
I'm overweight by about 40 lbs, so that doesn't help when sitting on a
small seat. One time I had a pilonidal cyst removed from my bottom and
the irritation I'm getting is appearing in that area and I don't want to
agitate it any further.

So, recommendations for a seat would be appreciated.

These bikes are very much like conventional uprights to ride, except the
seat does not try to force its way up your arse.

http://rans.com/bicycles/crank-forward.html

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!

Kirly May 24th 12 06:02 AM

Bill Proms wrote:
So, recommendations for a seat would be appreciated.

Seats are like shoes; what fits and is comfortable for one person will
cause discomfort and irritation for another. Try several different types
to see what fits.

FWIW, I have been riding Brooks leather saddles for 15 years and would
ride on no other. The nice thing about leather saddles (and I mean the
real thing, not a thin piece of leather wrapped around a plastic frame)
is that they break in and fit your shape; much like a baseball glove.

http://sheldonbrown.com/leather.html

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

copywrites November 15th 12 02:46 AM

bicycle seat that won't hurt my bottom

the likely cause of your sicromfort is you are riding a saddle that is too narrow. I would suggest looking for a medium padded 155mmwidth saddle, from Specialized. Find a true bike shop that will let you test the saddle before buying. take it on a 10-15 mile test ride - nothing shorter. If that size/style does not help, conside a superwide, short nose saddle. You will likely need to order it online as most bike shops do not handle this type of saddle.

Art Harris November 16th 12 05:15 PM

Bill Proms wrote:
I've been cycling off and on for nearly a year. When I started, I'd ride

about 8 miles and didn't have much, if any, of my bottom hurting. Now that

I'm doubling the distance, lately my bottom has been hurting a little more

and I wonder if I could change the seat to something better. I'm overweight

by about 40 lbs, so that doesn't help when sitting on a small seat. One

time I had a pilonidal cyst removed from my bottom and the irritation I'm

What kind of bike? A racing style "ten speed" will put more of your weight on your arms/hands and less on your butt.

Padded cycling shorts will help, too.

Many folks (including me) find the San Marco Rolls saddle very comfortable.

Art Harris

[email protected] November 17th 12 05:32 PM

On Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:55:05 PM UTC-7, Bill Proms wrote:
I've been cycling off and on for nearly a year. When I started, I'd ride

about 8 miles and didn't have much, if any, of my bottom hurting. Now that

I'm doubling the distance, lately my bottom has been hurting a little more

and I wonder if I could change the seat to something better. I'm overweight

by about 40 lbs, so that doesn't help when sitting on a small seat. One

time I had a pilonidal cyst removed from my bottom and the irritation I'm

getting is appearing in that area and I don't want to agitate it any

further.

So, recommendations for a seat would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, at first you will find that you are extremely sensitive to the fit of a saddle and as Kiraly says, your own personal fit is very personal. After you've been riding long enough you could sit on a stick of wood and it wouldn't make much difference.

Unfortunately the saddles most likely to be somewhat comfortable to a beginner such as yourself are quite expensive. I was never one for a Brooks. Aside from it being quite uncomfortable to me since I'm a fast rider that does a lot of climbing, they are extremely expensive and take a long time to break in.

What you might try is a Regal saddle. While the real thing is pretty expensive, lately Performance bicycle has been selling a look and pretty much act alike in the Fort Union Saddle for merely $20. One of the tricks is to install the saddle in the proper position so that you ride mostly on the back of the saddle.

Wes Groleau November 18th 12 10:12 PM

On 11-17-2012 12:32, wrote:
Bill, at first you will find that you are extremely sensitive to the fit of a saddle and as Kiraly says, your own personal fit is very personal. After you've been riding long enough you could sit on a stick of wood and it wouldn't make much difference.

Hmm. My saddle has carried me around fifty thousand miles, and I still
have temporary problems in certain parts after longer rides.

--
Wes Groleau

“To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying
Amen to what the world tells you you should prefer,
is to have kept your soul alive.”
— Robert Louis Stevenson

thirty-six November 21st 12 11:13 PM

bicycle seat that won't hurt my bottom

On 16 Nov, 19:39, Phil W Lee wrote:
Art Harris considered Fri, 16 Nov 2012 09:15:25
-0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

Bill Proms wrote:
I've been cycling off and on for nearly a year. *When I started, I'd ride

about 8 miles and didn't have much, if any, of my bottom hurting. *Now that

I'm doubling the distance, lately my bottom has been hurting a little more

and I wonder if I could change the seat to something better. *I'm overweight

by about 40 lbs, so that doesn't help when sitting on a small seat. *One

time I had a pilonidal cyst removed from my bottom and the irritation I'm

What kind of bike? A racing style "ten speed" will put more of your weight on your arms/hands and less on your butt.

Padded cycling shorts will help, too.

Many folks (including me) find the San Marco Rolls saddle very comfortable.

Others go the whole hog, and get a recumbent.

There's your problem, too much meat. You need to go veggy for a
couple of months at least.

The Rolls or the Regal saddles have long been the cure to many a sore
bum. They are both fine saddles.

thirty-six November 21st 12 11:15 PM

On 18 Nov, 22:12, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-17-2012 12:32, wrote:

Bill, at first you will find that you are extremely sensitive to the fit of a saddle and as Kiraly says, your own personal fit is very personal. After you've been riding long enough you could sit on a stick of wood and it wouldn't make much difference.

Hmm. *My saddle has carried me around fifty thousand miles, and I still
have temporary problems in certain parts after longer rides.

That's typically just before the most stubborn give in and buy a
saddle that fits.

SMS November 23rd 12 06:11 PM

bicycle seat that won't hurt my bottom

On Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:55:05 PM UTC-7, Bill Proms wrote:

snip

So, recommendations for a seat would be appreciated.

Pretty much your only option is a seat from RideOut Technologies.

http://www.rideouttech.com/Bicycle%20Seats-Products%20and%20Ordering.html