CycleBanter.com

-   -   Suntour Cyclone Cage Swap (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=80519)

A Muzi January 12th 05 03:07 AM

Suntour Cyclone Cage Swap

Donald Gillies wrote:

I have a Suntour Cyclone 1st generation derailleur (the one that's
campy-like with embossed "SunTour Cyclone" on a black nubble
background.)

I have both a racing cyclone and I have a GT derailleur cage from
another suntour product. I'd like to put the GT cages on the racing
derailleur. However, upon opening lower pivot body it seems the
spindle that attaches to the non-GT cage might be riveted. This is
very surprising because the GT cage is clearly screwed to the spindle
with a 2-slot recessed bolt. I expected the racing cyclone to use the
same cage attachment as the GT cyclone.

Has anyone done this swap, or does anyone know how to do this swap??
Thank you.

No can do. Try this:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/cyclone.html

(Note my tool you don't have)
The upper roller will track better on the short model

To service the lower pivot on a short Cyclone if you are so
inclined:
Remove the cage stop
Let the spring unwind
Remove the spring cap
Remove the spring, noting position.
Unscrew the cage from the pivot.
Clean, lube reassemble.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Donald Gillies January 13th 05 12:38 AM

A Muzi writes:

Donald Gillies wrote:

I have a Suntour Cyclone 1st generation derailleur (the one that's
campy-like with embossed "SunTour Cyclone" on a black nubble
background.)

I have both a racing cyclone and I have a GT derailleur cage from
another suntour product. I'd like to put the GT cages on the racing
derailleur. However, upon opening lower pivot body it seems the
spindle that attaches to the non-GT cage might be riveted. This is
very surprising because the GT cage is clearly screwed to the spindle
with a 2-slot recessed bolt. I expected the racing cyclone to use the
same cage attachment as the GT cyclone.

Has anyone done this swap, or does anyone know how to do this swap??
Thank you.

No can do. Try this:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/cyclone.html

Thanx Andrew. I was desperately looking for that "Cyclone" exploded
diagram - I knew it must be there somewhere ! What a great reference!
I now have 5 of these mechs !

It turns out that I have a VxGT, and a Cyclone-Racing and wanted to
swap the cages. After asking the question, I finally worked up the
guts to take my channel-lock pliers onto Cyclone-Racing spindle #21 and
squeeze like h*ll while torqueing the cage #13 away from the spindle.
I released on my "Cyclone" cage from the spindle.

On the Cyclone-GT, it's held onto the cage with a funny H-shaped nut on back.
On the Cyclone , it's held onto the cage with threads into aluminum front.

Very different attachment methods. Weird.

Moreover, on Cyclone, bolt #21 will be UBER TORQUED from the factory.
However, on Cyclone GT bolt #20 will be SORTA TORQUED by last guy to
clean the pulleys. The UBER TORQUED bolt was so tight I thought it
might have been riveted.

I finally undid the UBER TORQUED bolt and now I can swap the cages
among my derailleurs. The trick is just to swap bolts #20 and #21
too. Yeah !!

I miss cyclone stuff. Campy build quality at Shimano pricepoint with
better performance than either !

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

P.S. would you have any #11 / #12 clamps in stock / for sale ?? I can
always file down a weinmann brake clamp but it needs to shrink in
absolutely every dimension to work.

Mark Janeba January 13th 05 03:20 AM

Donald Gillies wrote:
I miss cyclone stuff. Campy build quality at Shimano pricepoint with
better performance than either !

Lots of it, often unused, on Ebay - in all iterations: Cyclone,
Cyclone II, Cyclone 7000. Prices are reasonable 'cause most folk don't
want the stuff, with the possible exception of the indexable rear der's.

Mark Janeba