CycleBanter.com

-   -   Today's ride (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=195586)

Tom Crispin October 11th 08 06:57 PM

Today's ride

It was OK until...
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...y/PA113073.JPG

Rob Morley October 11th 08 07:18 PM

Today's ride

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 18:57:12 +0100
Tom Crispin wrote:

It was OK until...
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...y/PA113073.JPG

Where's the picture of it sitting on its end at the side of the path?

Tom Anderson October 11th 08 07:40 PM

Today's ride

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, Tom Crispin wrote:

It was OK until...
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...y/PA113073.JPG

I was about to suggesting sending that to Warrington, but then i checked
their site and saw that they're currently exhibiting something strikingly
similar:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.me...ctober2008.htm

tom

--
Dude, read Aquinas if you want intelligent. This is the internet.

Dave Kahn October 11th 08 10:12 PM

Today's ride

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, Tom Crispin wrote:

It was OK until...
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...y/PA113073.JPG

I was about to suggesting sending that to Warrington, but then i checked
their site and saw that they're currently exhibiting something
strikingly similar:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.me...ctober2008.htm

I still think it's a good one to send to FOTM although I suspect there's
quite a lot of (pedestrian only) space to the left that the picture
doesn't show. It is irritating when temporary road signs are placed
across cycle tracks as they often are, but on the other hand it does
indicate how seriously they are taken by officialdom.

--
Dave...

Tom Crispin October 11th 08 10:50 PM

Today's ride

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 22:12:44 +0100, Dave Kahn
wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, Tom Crispin wrote:

It was OK until...
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...y/PA113073.JPG

I was about to suggesting sending that to Warrington, but then i checked
their site and saw that they're currently exhibiting something
strikingly similar:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.me...ctober2008.htm

I still think it's a good one to send to FOTM although I suspect there's
quite a lot of (pedestrian only) space to the left that the picture
doesn't show. It is irritating when temporary road signs are placed
across cycle tracks as they often are, but on the other hand it does
indicate how seriously they are taken by officialdom.

There is some footway but not a lot.
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...y/PA113097.JPG

They give two weeks' notice of the road closure, but no notice of the
current cycle path closure. I don't know if the Lower Lea Crossing is
a TfL road or local authority road. I suspect it's TfL.

Earlier in the ride we cycled around the Millennium Dome. The
cycleway there was dug up with a sign saying, "Cyclists dismount and
walk your bike along the footway." Why can't they say something
sensible like, "Cyclist path closed, cyclists please use the footway
with consideration for other users." And this is the combined section
of NCN4 and NCN1.

And even earlier than that we cycled around Cutty Sark Gardens. The
cycle route was partially obstructed by temporary barriers for queue
control for the river bus. There was not enough room for two cyclists
to pass, or even a pushchair and cyclist or two pushchair users. This
is the point where NCN1, NCN4 and NCN21 converge.

judith October 11th 08 10:59 PM

Today's ride

wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

Experience has shown that cyclists need very clear instructions.

They cannot be trusted to cycle on the pavement and give consideration
to other users as most pedestrian know.

Therefore it is necessary to make it absolutely clear - get off your
bike and walk like everyone else on the pavement.

Seems reasonable.

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
Some evidence shows that helmeted cyclists are more likely to hit

naked_draughtsman[_3_] October 12th 08 08:44 AM

Today's ride

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 19:40:52 +0100, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, Tom Crispin wrote:

It was OK until...
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...y/PA113073.JPG

I was about to suggesting sending that to Warrington, but then i checked
their site and saw that they're currently exhibiting something strikingly
similar:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.me...ctober2008.htm

There's another similar one at Pen y Clip tunnel on the A55 along the North
Wales Coast - the cycle lane is closed off to construct a new 'cycle
bridge' (also a lane shut on each carriageway).

Heading east you could ride along the dual carriageway, but as there's a
lane shut you would be causing a lot of disruption which would be popular.
In the other direction cyclists are banned from the tunnel.

I do not believe there is an alternative surfaced route although there is a
bridleway running along the top of the mountain!

peter

_[_4_] October 12th 08 03:37 PM

Don't feed the Troll - was Today's ride

wrote:

It was OK until...
http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...y/PA113073.JPG

It's not that you're really a troll, it's just that I personally don't
want you to post, and my wishes are more important than everyone
else's. So if you start a thread, I'll try to mess it up, and to hell
with whether other people are happy for me to do so. It's just the
way I am, and if you were a **** like me, you'd understand.