CycleBanter.com

-   -   Jobst Brandt, author of The Bicycle Wheel, dies at 80. (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=246896)

Mike A Schwab May 6th 15 08:17 PM

Jobst Brandt, author of The Bicycle Wheel, dies at 80.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north...0#.VUpn6U10zyE

Mike A Schwab May 6th 15 08:28 PM

https://rayhosler.wordpress.com/2015...st-a-lifetime/

Martin Borsje[_9_] May 6th 15 08:48 PM

Jobst Brandt, author of The Bicycle Wheel, dies at 80.

Mike A Schwab was thinking very hard :
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north...0#.VUpn6U10zyE

If there was a bicycle heaven, he would be meeting Sheldon now...

Andre Jute[_2_] May 6th 15 10:03 PM

On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 8:17:50 PM UTC+1, Mike A Schwab wrote:
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north...0#.VUpn6U10zyE

Well done, Jobst! That was an inspiring life.

Thanks, Mike.

Andre Jute

[email protected] May 6th 15 11:37 PM

On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 3:17:50 PM UTC-4, Mike A Schwab wrote:
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north...0#.VUpn6U10zyE

///////////////////////

yeah I did Brandt this morning in sci.geo.earthquakes

his doctor told him post bike fall...

your next accident is death

https://goo.gl/9yc3qg

Frank Krygowski[_4_] May 6th 15 11:45 PM

On 5/6/2015 3:17 PM, Mike A Schwab wrote:
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north...0#.VUpn6U10zyE

A brilliant man.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Tim McNamara May 7th 15 04:13 AM

Jobst Brandt, author of The Bicycle Wheel, dies at 80.

Damn.

The tall trees in the forest (Sheldon, Jobst, etc.) are eventually
felled as are we all. I never met Jobst in person but enjoyed many a
lively discussion with him on wreck.bikes and via e-mail. He could be
brilliant, irascible, funny, pig-headed... not infrequently in the same
post. His ride reports were some of the most enjoyable and
inspirational bike reading I have done.

I'm not a believer but if I was, I'd envision him riding in the Alps
again. RIP, Jobst.

Tosspot[_3_] May 7th 15 06:01 AM

On 06/05/15 21:17, Mike A Schwab wrote:
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north...0#.VUpn6U10zyE

That sucks. One of the few people around here I respected. With Jobst
and Sheldon down rbt with be a shallow shadow of it's former self soon.

JBeattie May 7th 15 06:22 AM

On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 8:13:43 PM UTC-7, Tim McNamara wrote:
Damn.

The tall trees in the forest (Sheldon, Jobst, etc.) are eventually
felled as are we all. I never met Jobst in person but enjoyed many a
lively discussion with him on wreck.bikes and via e-mail. He could be
brilliant, irascible, funny, pig-headed... not infrequently in the same
post. His ride reports were some of the most enjoyable and
inspirational bike reading I have done.

I'm not a believer but if I was, I'd envision him riding in the Alps
again. RIP, Jobst.

I never met him formally but saw him over at PAB and rode with some of the same people in the '70s -- which, for me, gave him a larger than life persona even before "The Bicycle Wheel" because he was dragging around racers who used to crush me like a bug. We e-mailed, and I even pondered using him as an expert in one of my cases, but that never materialized. With my first post maybe 19 years ago, he ripped me a new one for endorsing tying and soldering (which I used to do a lot). His death underscores the losses we have suffered generally on this NG -- including people who have not died but who have simply moved on, regrettably. You can name the names as well as me.. I miss the real technical discussions and the rigor Jobst applied to the group, demanding that people posted under their own names and refrain from spreading "tribology." He could be a PITA, but he was an important person who legitimized our group. He lived an enviable life and will be missed by many.

-- Jay Beattie.