CycleBanter.com

-   Off Road (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Bouncing Suspension Going Up A Hill (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=12562)

[email protected] May 21st 04 10:45 PM

Bouncing Suspension Going Up A Hill

Hi all,

First of all it's sad that this group has been over run with spam!

I went to my first MTB race a couple of weeks ago as a viewer I might
add and what a great spectacle it was. I was really surprised at how
many riders were NOT turning off their front suspension and were
bobbing up and down going up the hills. What a waste of energy I
thought, am I correct?

Not only that but I was surprised again that about 80% of the bikes
were NOT full suspension.

You're thoughts please.

Cheers

Charles Beristain May 22nd 04 05:19 AM

On Fri, 21 May 2004 15:45:45 CST, wrote:

I was really surprised at how
many riders were NOT turning off their front suspension and were
bobbing up and down going up the hills. What a waste of energy I
thought, am I correct?

I think it pays to lock out the shocks going uphill provided the hill
is not technical. Uphill sprints to the finish line need a locked out
shocks ( IMHO).

Not only that but I was surprised again that about 80% of the bikes
were NOT full suspension.

Think weight as the primary driver in X/C racing. Usually the courses
are not that technical. Usually the folks in the winners circle are
riding hardtails...but more and more the super light weight F/S bikes
are appearing on the race course.

charlie

posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see
http://rbor.org/