CycleBanter.com

-   -   Weird crack in crank (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=253902)

[email protected] May 18th 17 07:48 PM

Weird crack in crank

I recently removed my pedals for transport and realized that the blemish I previously dismissed as a strange scratch in the crank must surely be a crack.
It is at the end of the right crank arm, in the middle, well around, and _parallel with the plane of the chainrings_. That is, if it were to prpogate, it would split the pedal theads in half, left and right.
I will replace it, but has anyone ever seen this?

AMuzi May 18th 17 08:10 PM

Weird crack in crank

On 5/18/2017 1:48 PM, wrote:
I recently removed my pedals for transport and realized that the blemish I previously dismissed as a strange scratch in the crank must surely be a crack.
It is at the end of the right crank arm, in the middle, well around, and _parallel with the plane of the chainrings_. That is, if it were to prpogate, it would split the pedal theads in half, left and right.
I will replace it, but has anyone ever seen this?

Yes. (more commonly in the other plane)

Here are mo
http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-001.html
Still mo
http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/000.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Andrew Chaplin May 20th 17 01:34 PM

Weird crack in crank

AMuzi wrote in :

On 5/18/2017 1:48 PM, wrote:
I recently removed my pedals for transport and realized that the
blemish I previously dismissed as a strange scratch in the crank must
surely be a crack. It is at the end of the right crank arm, in the
middle, well around, and _parallel with the plane of the chainrings_.
That is, if it were to prpogate, it would split the pedal theads in
half, left and right. I will replace it, but has anyone ever seen
this?

Yes. (more commonly in the other plane)

Here are mo
http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-001.html
Still mo
http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/000.html

Scary stuff!
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

[email protected] May 20th 17 02:56 PM

Weird crack in crank

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 2:48:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I recently removed my pedals for transport and realized that the blemish I previously dismissed as a strange scratch in the crank must surely be a crack.
It is at the end of the right crank arm, in the middle, well around, and _parallel with the plane of the chainrings_. That is, if it were to prpogate, it would split the pedal theads in half, left and right.
I will replace it, but has anyone ever seen this?

IF riding 20 year old bike definitely clean n magnifying glass stressed areas as 'alloy' metallurgy has changed

or

https://www.google.com/#q=AMAZON+MET...=1495288368602