CycleBanter.com

-   Rides (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Mayors' Ride Celebrities, Webcasts and Imovies, etc!! (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=36230)

National Bicycle Greenway February 26th 04 08:58 PM

Mayors' Ride Celebrities, Webcasts and Imovies, etc!!

Wee whooo, our Mayors Ride straight ahead promises to cut the edge of the
music and hi tech worlds with an unprecedented bombshell of excitement.
And almost as one would expect from those who have been following our soon
upcoming rolling Woodstock, Claire Machado is leading the charge! Not only
has she begun recording the NBG song with words she is licensing from "The
Road" by The Alarm (who she has also invited to perform at a few venues)
and surrounded herself with some of the area's best musicians with her
band C.A.M. engine as they ramp up to tour with us next summer, but in
making her dream of live video and audio of her performances and the
Mayors' receptions themselves (also called webcasting so anyone anywhere
can watch from the comfort of a home or office computer) real she is
pulling in some of the best talent the Silicon Valley has to offer.

One such powerhouse is Mike Taht. Mike and I spoke yesterday and the
vision he foresees for our ride is exciting beyond compare. Especially
since he has the knowledge and ready access to the resources needed to
make it all happen. One of the early founders of the Internet, Mike also
played an important part in keeping the Y2K bug quiet once the millennium
dawned upon us. Over the last several decades he has worked, often
closely, with some of biggest names in the computer world. In fact, he
even invited me, Claire, Faye, Libby and our riders to a party at his home
where many such shakers and movers will be present. There is even a chance
that I will get to meet his friend, the co-founder of Apple Computer, and
the widely respected true father of the desktop device that you are
reading this on, Steve Wozniak!

A musician himself, Mike will be on the road with Claire and her musicians
digitizing (for either live or delayed broadcast) C.A.M. Engine
performances in all the towns and cites that stand between Los Angeles and
Chicago. Mike plans also to communicate our vision himself to radio
stations and service clubs along the way as he also talks about something
near and dear to his heart (open space planning). He even foresees getting
his radio interviews on line in real time where possible. Too exciting!

And then out there on the East Coast, Janet Bressler just booked the
popular Tokio Ballroom in Philadelphia. What's more is that they gave her
the date right when she asked for it. A petite woman with a bellowing
vocal delivery that would make any man proud, she is so good that most all
venues out her way jump at the chance to get her away from her recording
studio (there are mp3's at her site noted below that I encourage you to
download and hear for yourself). Like what Claire's shows will be doing
for ~16 other receptions, Janet's performance in Philly will call
attention to our Mayors' ride event at that East Coast City Hall. Hmmmm, I
wonder if we can get Janet to help us announce Baltimore and Washington,
DC.........

And Steve Bilenky, the owner of Bilenky Cycle Works, makers of the famous
Viewpoint recumbent/upright tandem among other prized uprights and
two-seaters, may ride the New York to Philly leg as a way to have fun and
take advantage of Janet's advance publicity. His factory is in
Philadelphia and he has lots of business contacts up in New York City who
may join him.

In terms of other bike business owners, Mike McDowell is thinking hard
about riding from Indianapolis where his shop, Valley Bikes, is located,
to Chicago. In doing so he may even be joined by 2002 Mayors Ride Iron Man
and Just 2 Bikes owner, Jim Muellner. Maybe even Fred Kirchner, last
year's Columbus to Indianapolis superstar will be back to take part in the
fun.

And where human interest is concerned, Patrick Thomas is very close to
committing his wheel to our ride. Patrick, a San Francisco school teacher
may ride his unicycle from SF to Chicago as a part of our ride. And once
his decision is final our NBG Riders will see me in here asking for
cyclists to provide sag support for his ride. You see on a unicycle , it
is very hard to carry the gear needed to support a long trek. And Patrick
wants to do 50 mile days. Nor do we want him to use a car for such sag
assistance. I will keep you posted!

Stay tuned for our next newsletter detailing some of Mayor Bob's training
in rainy Arcata and Faye Saunders' IMovie representations of our 2003
Festival as well as DC Mayor Anthony Williams send off speech (now at our
schedule http://www.BikeRoute.com/NationalMayorsRide2004 ) and etc

Yahoooo!!

Links for the above:
Claire Machado http://www.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Cam_Engine
Mike Taht http://the-edge.blogspot.com
Janet Bressler http://JanetBressler.com
Bilenky Cycle Works http://www.bilenky.com
Valley Bikes http://www.valleybikes.com
Jim Muellner http://www.bikeroute.com/NationalMayorsRide/JimMuellner
Just 2 Bikes http://justtwobikes.com
DC Mayor send off
speechhttp://NationalBicycleGreenway.com/MayorAWilliams2002.mov

--

M A R T I N K R I E G : "Awake Again" Author
Bent Since '83, Car Free Since '89, Attacking with Love