CycleBanter.com

-   -   Winter Riding - Again (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=55022)

Saint January 19th 04 10:59 PM

Winter Riding - Again

Thanks to everyone who responded to my thread of a couple of weeks ago
winter riding. I took the advice and got myself some decent waterproof
gloves and something to keep my head warm.

However my head and hands are now kept so warm that my legs are bloody
freezing. I had a look at Wiggle.co.uk today with the intention of buying
some decent leggings and learned something about cycling - the terminology
is sometimes as baffling as computer terminology.

For example, I want some trousers to cycle in the winter in. Just something
warm and preferably waterproof.

So I looked for 'trousers'. Nope.

So I looked for 'pants'. Nope.

Leggings? Grrr.

Legwear? Oh for God's sake....

Aha - legwarmers - but they look silly and I'd feel like a pervert.

What on earth are they called for heaven's sake?

;-)

Saint

MSeries January 19th 04 11:12 PM

Winter Riding - Again

Saint wrote:

Aha - legwarmers - but they look silly and I'd feel like a pervert.

What on earth are they called for heaven's sake?

Tights, you'll still feel like pervert though but you'll soon get to like
it. :-)

Simonb January 19th 04 11:15 PM

Winter Riding - Again

Saint wrote:

What on earth are they called for heaven's sake?

Don't know. I looked on Wiggle too; and all I found were leg warmers, which
are more suited to spring/autumn as they can be quickly donned or taken off
and stowed.

I did, however, go to my LBS and found a great pair of fleece-lined bib
tights made by Briko (£40). They also stock the Lusso (UK) brand, which felt
flimsy and were expensive by comparison, with poor padding. Briko stuff is
made in Italy; so you have to go up a size to get something which fits. I
had the same problem with a Briko jersey (I am Briko XL!)

Simon

Just zis Guy, you know? January 19th 04 11:16 PM

Winter Riding - Again

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:12:27 -0000, "MSeries"
wrote:

What on earth are they called for heaven's sake?

Tights, you'll still feel like pervert though but you'll soon get to like
it. :-)

And - most importantly - you'll feel like a *warm* pervert :-)

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Simonb January 19th 04 11:17 PM

Winter Riding - Again

MSeries wrote:

Tights

Completely missed this one; I must be dim.

Simon

John Mallard January 20th 04 12:39 AM

Winter Riding - Again

Saint wrote:
Thanks to everyone who responded to my thread of a couple of weeks
ago winter riding. I took the advice and got myself some decent
waterproof gloves and something to keep my head warm.

However my head and hands are now kept so warm that my legs are bloody
freezing. I had a look at Wiggle.co.uk today with the intention of
buying some decent leggings and learned something about cycling - the
terminology is sometimes as baffling as computer terminology.

For example, I want some trousers to cycle in the winter in. Just
something warm and preferably waterproof.

So I looked for 'trousers'. Nope.

So I looked for 'pants'. Nope.

Leggings? Grrr.

Legwear? Oh for God's sake....

Aha - legwarmers - but they look silly and I'd feel like a pervert.

What on earth are they called for heaven's sake?

Ron Hill Bikesters. (1)
They dry out as soon as it stops raining, or if it doesn't, in about an hour
draped over a convenient filing cabinet.
(But surely there are radiators where you work?)

And in v. cold weather, TWO pairs of bikesters. (honest!)
(assuming a comute of 20miles)

(1) Similar to Ron Hill Tracksters, but cut lower in the front and higher at
the back to suit a cycling posture.

--
Cheerful Peddling
John Mallard

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers January 20th 04 12:47 AM

Winter Riding - Again

Aha - legwarmers - but they look silly and I'd feel like a pervert.

One of the joys of cycling - you look like a pervert but really you aren't ;-)

What on earth are they called for heaven's sake?

I wear Ronhill Bikesters (currently £11.99 a pair from www.wiggle.co.uk) - not
waterproof, but light & excellent wicking properties so they dry in seconds. If
it's cold I wear a pair of longjohns underneath.

So I look like a perverted Nora Batty in fluorescent yellow & black ;-)

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers January 20th 04 12:49 AM

Winter Riding - Again

I did, however, go to my LBS and found a great pair of fleece-lined bib
tights made by Briko (£40)

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.... another Mr Muscle reject to convert :-D

Frank X January 20th 04 01:07 AM

Winter Riding - Again

"Simonb" wrote in message

I did, however, go to my LBS and found a great pair of fleece-lined bib
tights made by Briko (£40). They also stock the Lusso (UK) brand, which

felt
flimsy and were expensive by comparison, with poor padding.

I've had a couple of Lusso tights, the first had ridiculously long legs so I
had to give them away, but my current pair are great. I actually have a
problem with padding so don't automatically assume it is a good thing.

John Mallard January 20th 04 01:27 AM

Winter Riding - Again

One of the joys of cycling - you look like a pervert but really you
aren't ;-)

Yes, we bloody are!
(oops, I think I just said that out loud.)

--
Cheerful Peddling
John Mallard