CycleBanter.com

-   Social Issues (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Odd interaction with a road rager (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=72271)

Ron McKinnon September 1st 04 02:47 AM

Odd interaction with a road rager

So here's an odd one for the books. I was cycling from work today along a
one-way street with enough clearance to avoid opening car doors. The
street was three lanes wide with one of the lanes reserved for buses at
rush hour. The middle lane was free.

A bus was slowing down to a stop in its lane and I was moving forward when
I heard the ubiquitous blare of a horn from a car in the (clear) middle
lane. Now the car had to pass between the bus and myself, but there was a
whole lane for him to do so, so I wasn't sure what was up.

I caught up to him at the next lights. The car was some souped-up muscle
car and the driver looked pretty tough so I debated whether or not to ask
him what was up. I thought "what the heck" and asked him if I could help
him with something.

He then yelled, very angrily I might add, that with me on one side and the
bus on the other side he barely had room to pass, and that I should have
been off to the side (riding over top of the parked cars I suppose). I was
about to tell him that his whole lane was clear but the light turned green
and he peeled rubber and took off like a bat out of hell.

I caught up two lights later and was going to ask him why he thought an
entire lane of traffic was not sufficient for him but he'd rolled up his
window and was staring straight ahead. That intersection has an advance
green for bikes and I left somewhat befuddled.

Basically, and I hate to say it, he was acting like a big baby. Taking a
fit when things weren't going his way and then sulking later. I doubt
that I intimidated him, I'm don't look that imposing, but if I didn't know
better I'd have thought he was scared.

How much room does someone need anyway? Is one lane not enough for some
people?

--
Ron McKinnon rmckin
spam at sympatico

Pete September 1st 04 03:23 AM

"Ron McKinnon" wrote

[snip]

I caught up to him at the next lights. The car was some souped-up muscle
car...

and
I caught up two lights later...

That's what got to him...:)

Pete

Mitch Haley September 1st 04 03:25 AM

Ron McKinnon wrote:

Basically, and I hate to say it, he was acting like a big baby. Taking a
fit when things weren't going his way and then sulking later. I doubt
that I intimidated him, I'm don't look that imposing, but if I didn't know
better I'd have thought he was scared.

&*^$ bicycle, riding in the left lane, and his souped car can't even outrun
it (at least not permanently). Scary, very scary. You done disgrace to his
manhood, and then confronted him (twice). His ego may never be the same.

I'd have phoned his plate to the local drunk driver/road rager hotline,
just to report general erratic and inept behavior behind the wheel.
I wonder how much an armed cop would scare this clearly unbalanced chap.

Leo Lichtman September 1st 04 03:41 AM

"Ron McKinnon" wrote: (clip) I thought "what the
heck" and asked him if I could help him with something.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
See, you didn't play by his "rules." He thought he was protected from
confrontation, which made him very "brave." But you faced him, and forced
him to justify his irrational behavior--which he could not do. What would
it do to your self-image to declare that you can't drive your car down a
standard lane?

I'd say you won that bout.

AustinMN September 1st 04 03:43 AM

Ron McKinnon wrote:
road rage incident snipped

Basically, and I hate to say it, he was acting like a big baby. Taking a
fit when things weren't going his way and then sulking later.

All road ragers are acting like babies. "I don't want things the way they
are, and I'm going to blame you!" is written into each road rager's
personality. Things like forgiveness and flexibility are not there.

I doubt
that I intimidated him, I'm don't look that imposing, but if I didn't know
better I'd have thought he was scared.

An immature person having a temper tantrum may in fact rely on him
intimidating you. When that didn't work, he may have felt like his "big
one" was taken away.

How much room does someone need anyway? Is one lane not enough for some
people?

Judging by the number of cars I see in the ditch, especially in winter, I'd
say entire roads aren't enough for some people.

Austin
--
I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
There are no X characters in my address