CycleBanter.com

-   -   Boris Bikes get royal seal of approval - "they're lovely," says the Queen (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=235206)

Simon Mason[_4_] March 2nd 12 04:49 PM

Boris Bikes get royal seal of approval - "they're lovely," says the Queen

QUOTE:
The Queen has revealed that she is a fan of London’s dark blue Boris
Bikes – although unlike her counterparts in ‘bicycle monarchies’ such
as the Netherlands and Denmark, it’s a pretty safe bet that Her
Majesty will never be seen riding through the streets of the capital
on two wheels.

According to The Daily Telegraph, during yesterday’s visit to upmarket
grocer Fortnum & Mason, when she was accompanied by the Duchesses of
Cornwall and Cambridge, the Queen told Mayor of London Boris Johnson,
“At least I didn’t have to come down here today on one of your bikes,”
reports The Daily Telegraph.

A worried Mr Johnson, who launched the Barclays Cycle Hire Scheme in
summer 2010, asked the Queen, who celebrates her Diamond Jubilee this
year, “Oh, gosh, don’t you like my bikes?”

She quickly reassured him: “Oh, yes, I think they’re lovely. In fact,
I notice the bike racks are often empty.”

Sadly, there’s more chance of the ravens flying away from the Tower of
London than there is of ever seeing the Queen on one of the dark blue
bikes.

Mind you, we suppose the Duchess of Cambridge could have wheeled out
the tandem Boris Bike that the Mayor gave her and Prince William as a
wedding gift last year and ridden the half-mile or so from Buckingham
Palace with her grandmother-in-law as a passenger, with Camilla riding
solo alongside them?

http://road.cc/content/news/53793-bo...ely-says-queen

--
Simon Mason

Mr Benn[_5_] March 2nd 12 05:23 PM

Seeing red over cyclists’ actions (reposted thanks to Simon Mason)

Published on Monday 27 February 2012 08:44

AS a society, we have rightly adopted a harm reduction culture in which we
seek to persuade people by law and reason to safeguard their health.

Changes in the law have brought about restrictions on smoking and the
forthcoming crackdown on alcohol will similarly save many lives.

Healthy eating promotion is also playing its part (although the legal route
may yet be needed in this respect). And police will stop and prosecute any
motorist not wearing a seatbelt or motorcyclist without helmet.

Yet, when it comes to pedal cyclists, little is done to enforce existing
safety legislation.

Whereas cycle helmets are not a legal requirement, adequate nocturnal front
and rear lighting is - as well as obeying traffic signals whilst mounted.

Yet, how often does one see cyclists sailing through red traffic lights - if
one actually sees them at night without lights?

Is the only reason that police never seem to enforce cycling law a
Clarksonesque view that cyclists form the natural prey of the four-wheeled
avatar and are a species not worth saving? Or is there some other agenda?

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/communit...ions_1_3565080

Tired[_2_] March 2nd 12 06:01 PM

:
[...]

Yes, the woman is eighty five years old, probably best not to go and cycle
places.

Simon Mason[_4_] March 3rd 12 06:23 AM

:http://road.cc/content/news/53793-bo...-seal-approval...

Yes, the woman is eighty five years old, probably best not to go and cycle
places.

Why not?
Barry Trotter our local 1950's TT champ is still cycling on his road
bike and he is 88 years old.

--
Simon Mason

Simon Mason[_4_] March 3rd 12 07:49 AM

On Mar 3, 5:23*am, Simon Mason wrote:
On Mar 2, 5:01*pm, "Tired" wrote:

Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

And we even have a 92 year old in our club who is still active.
Age is no barrier - it is just a number.

--
Simon Mason