CycleBanter.com

-   -   No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=251235)

John Doe[_3_] July 5th 16 06:24 AM

No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?

That's inconvenient.

That means we have to throw money at China for 3/8" 26 TPI axle material
just to get an axle that's not bent?

My thread measuring tool doesn't even include 26 TPI. It goes from 24 to 27
TPI. The only threaded rod I see available here in the USA is 24 TPI.

Jeff Liebermann July 5th 16 06:55 AM

No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 05:24:40 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

That's inconvenient.

That means we have to throw money at China for 3/8" 26 TPI axle material
just to get an axle that's not bent?

My thread measuring tool doesn't even include 26 TPI. It goes from 24 to 27
TPI. The only threaded rod I see available here in the USA is 24 TPI.

Perhaps throw you cash at the UK?
3/8-26 is a BSCy (British Standard Cycling) axle.
Threaded rods seem to be available with a Google search:
https://www.google.com/#q=3%2F8-26%20threaded%20rod
https://www.google.com/#q=3%2F8-26+die
https://www.google.com/#q=3%2F8-26+bicycle+axle
No clue which is the best vendor.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

John Doe[_3_] July 5th 16 07:16 AM

No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?

Google isn't my friend.

You might want to look at the results instead of just spitting them out
there. Or maybe it's just another slopportunity to display your signature.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH July 5th 16 01:58 PM

No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?

possible here USA this size is used for an in motion nut mechanism

see McMaster Carr

I wuz looking at fabbing a remote headlamp aiming mechanism

otherwise try the Practical Machinist

https://www.google.com/#q=threaded+r...s-26+is+metric

AMuzi July 5th 16 02:19 PM

No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?

On 7/5/2016 12:24 AM, John Doe wrote:
That's inconvenient.

That means we have to throw money at China for 3/8" 26 TPI axle material
just to get an axle that's not bent?

My thread measuring tool doesn't even include 26 TPI. It goes from 24 to 27
TPI. The only threaded rod I see available here in the USA is 24 TPI.

Coaster brake? New axle and also axle nuts, locknuts etc are
cheap at any competent LBS which regularly services bicycles.

Older British hub? You want a Whitworth (55 degree thread,
not 60-degree SAE) gauge. Spares are not all that common but
may be had. British-made freewheel hubs are frequently
rebuilt with modern metric axle sets of better quality.

Or is it a modern standard m10x1 metric axle? Cheap as dirt
anywhere bicycles are serviced. That 25.4tpi advancement can
appear 'sorta between 24 & 28'.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH July 5th 16 08:16 PM

No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?

CHEEP CHEEP REMINDS

https://www.google.com/#q=+site:whee...eels+mfg+AXLES

John Doe[_3_] July 5th 16 09:11 PM

No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?

You acted helpful, but it was only an act.

If anyone ever needs to know, they will thank me for not being sent
on a wild goose chase.

John Doe[_3_] July 5th 16 09:48 PM

No 26 TPI threaded rod in USA?

AMuzi wrote:

John Doe wrote:

That's inconvenient.

That means we have to throw money at China for 3/8" 26 TPI axle
material just to get an axle that's not bent?

My thread measuring tool doesn't even include 26 TPI. It goes from 24
to 27 TPI. The only threaded rod I see available here in the USA is
24 TPI.

Coaster brake?

I suppose. I looked at those but noticed apparently they are sold with
only one cone (outer bearing race).

New axle and also axle nuts, locknuts etc are cheap at
any competent LBS which regularly services bicycles.

That might depend on your definition of "cheap". Can you post a link to
any such sales of cones for 24 TPI axles by bike shops that have an online
presence?

I haven't even found a place on the Internet to buy the cones for 24 TPI
axles.

And I wonder if a 24 TPI axle will work with the most common bicycle hubs
meant for 3/8 inch 26 TPI threaded rods and cones.

I would switch if that's what's necessary, but at first look it appears to
be difficult. But of course that might just be inexperience talking.

Older British hub? You want a Whitworth (55 degree thread, not
60-degree SAE) gauge. Spares are not all that common but may be had.
British-made freewheel hubs are frequently rebuilt with modern metric
axle sets of better quality.

Or is it a modern standard m10x1 metric axle? Cheap as dirt anywhere
bicycles are serviced. That 25.4tpi advancement can appear 'sorta
between 24 & 28'.

I'm talking about the most common axle for geared consumer grade bikes,
that's what's listed as (3/8" 26t). It appears to be much closer to 27 TPI
than it is to 24 TPI.

I suppose the most common axle threading might not really be 26 TPI, it
might easily be metric, but everybody calls it 26 TPI. The axles I have
appear to be less than .371 inch diameter which isn't exactly 3/8 inch.
That might be because of the threading process, or it might be because
they are metric and aren't really 3/8 inch diameter.

It does seem strange that European or Chinese bicycle makers would change
a 24 TPI specification to something non-metric like 26 TPI. So maybe it's
not really 26 TPI.

In any case... It's a bit strange and disappointing that the most common
axle "26 TPI" threaded rod is not sold in the United States. But oh well.

I ordered a couple of replacement axle assemblies for the standard 3/8
inch 26 TPI axles that appear on most geared consumer bikes, just to get
the axles.

That's my workaround. If it satisfies, maybe I'll know more of the lingo
by the next time I need help with it.