CycleBanter.com

-   Mountain Biking (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Rock n Roll Lubes (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=5568)

Mark \(UK\) January 7th 04 11:24 PM

Rock n Roll Lubes

I'm about to get a new bottle of winter chain lube. Was going to go with
Finish Line XC again, but have heard good things about Rock n Roll Extreme.

It works out about £1 more than finish line for equivalent volume, but I
will give it a go if there are advantages. Has anyone tried extreme? How
does it compare to Finish Line for UK winter conditions? I've heard its
meant to be less sticky and less attractive to muck.

On a related note, anyone tried Rock n Roll Cablemagic lube? Just hype?

Any comments appreciated!

Slacker January 10th 04 05:35 AM

Rock n Roll Lubes

Mark (UK) wrote:
I'm about to get a new bottle of winter chain lube. Was going to go
with Finish Line XC again, but have heard good things about Rock n
Roll Extreme.

It works out about £1 more than finish line for equivalent volume,
but I will give it a go if there are advantages. Has anyone tried
extreme? How does it compare to Finish Line for UK winter conditions?
I've heard its meant to be less sticky and less attractive to muck.

On a related note, anyone tried Rock n Roll Cablemagic lube? Just
hype?

Any comments appreciated!

I've found RnR chain lube great stuff, except in dirt or wet conditions ;^ 0

I can't even imagine that stuff working in the UK.

I'll never buy a bottle of that goop again.

It blows.
--
Slacker

Mark \(UK\) January 10th 04 11:21 AM

Rock n Roll Lubes

Slacker wrote:
Mark (UK) wrote:
I'm about to get a new bottle of winter chain lube. Was going to go
with Finish Line XC again, but have heard good things about Rock n
Roll Extreme.

It works out about £1 more than finish line for equivalent volume,
but I will give it a go if there are advantages. Has anyone tried
extreme? How does it compare to Finish Line for UK winter conditions?
I've heard its meant to be less sticky and less attractive to muck.

On a related note, anyone tried Rock n Roll Cablemagic lube? Just
hype?

Any comments appreciated!

I've found RnR chain lube great stuff, except in dirt or wet
conditions ;^ 0

I can't even imagine that stuff working in the UK.

I'll never buy a bottle of that goop again.

It blows.

Ok thanks. So what do you use for winter running? Finish Line XC?

Cheers

Slacker January 10th 04 05:18 PM

Rock n Roll Lubes

It blows.

Ok thanks. So what do you use for winter running? Finish Line XC?

Cheers

Well, let me say first, I live in Southern California, so I almost never
have to ride in wet conditions. This is on reason why I hated RnR so much...
even the tiniest puddle of water seemed to wash that stuff right off.

But anyways, I've always used White Lightning, but just recently switched to
Prolink. I don't have enough time with the Prolink to base an opinion, but
preliminary report is good.
--
Slacker

Mark \(UK\) January 10th 04 07:37 PM

Rock n Roll Lubes

Slacker wrote:
It blows.

Ok thanks. So what do you use for winter running? Finish Line XC?

Cheers

Well, let me say first, I live in Southern California, so I almost
never have to ride in wet conditions. This is on reason why I hated
RnR so much... even the tiniest puddle of water seemed to wash that
stuff right off.

But anyways, I've always used White Lightning, but just recently
switched to Prolink. I don't have enough time with the Prolink to
base an opinion, but preliminary report is good.

Well we're lucky enough to have conditions as dry as yours for about 4 weeks
per year! i do use a dry wax throughout the summer months, but needless to
say that's no good when the weather goes down hill, hence the need for
finish line etc. On the plus side, we have very few lions...

Slacker January 11th 04 04:10 AM

Rock n Roll Lubes

Mark (UK) wrote:

On the plus side, we have very few lions...

We could always export a few for you Brits to play with.
--
Slacker - here kitty kitty

Michael Dart January 13th 04 12:24 PM

Rock n Roll Lubes

In ,
Slacker typed:
It blows.

Ok thanks. So what do you use for winter running? Finish Line XC?

Cheers

Well, let me say first, I live in Southern California, so I almost
never have to ride in wet conditions. This is on reason why I hated
RnR so much... even the tiniest puddle of water seemed to wash that
stuff right off.

But anyways, I've always used White Lightning, but just recently
switched to Prolink. I don't have enough time with the Prolink to
base an opinion, but preliminary report is good.

Hehehe...that was my impression of White Lightning. You mean there's
something worse?!! I remember when WL first came out and I was riding with
guys who said this was the "greatest stuff ever!"... Every time they pulled
the bottle out of their packs to re-apply it during a ride.

Mike - Pedro's Extra Dry.

M Brundage January 13th 04 01:52 PM

Rock n Roll Lubes

"Michael Dart" wrote in message
[...]

I'm working on a bottle of Ice Wax right now and like the way it sheds
water and doesn't attract dirt. Oil based lubes shed water well enough but
act like a magnet for grit. Does Extra Dry have an advantage over Ice Wax ?

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
MBrundage@ease

Michael Dart January 13th 04 02:42 PM

Rock n Roll Lubes

In ,
M Brundage typed:
[...]

I haven't tried Ice Wax. I'm not sold on wax based lubes for mtbing based
on my experience with them. My drivetrain always sounded like a cage full
of finches by the end of ride. They may be better now but I've had
excellent results with the Extra Dry oil based lube and see no reason to try
something else. A friend of mine uses Ice Wax and has to apply it before
every ride. I clean the chain (run it through a rag) and apply a drop of
Extra Dry to each roller and wipe off the excess every week or so. I live
on the east coast and ride in wet conditions frequently.

Mike

M Brundage January 13th 04 04:22 PM

Rock n Roll Lubes

I'm working on a bottle of Ice Wax right now and like the way it
sheds water and doesn't attract dirt. Oil based lubes shed water well
enough but act like a magnet for grit. Does Extra Dry have an
advantage over Ice Wax ?

I haven't tried Ice Wax. I'm not sold on wax based lubes for mtbing based
on my experience with them. My drivetrain always sounded like a cage full
of finches by the end of ride. They may be better now but I've had
excellent results with the Extra Dry oil based lube and see no reason to

try
something else. A friend of mine uses Ice Wax and has to apply it before
every ride. I clean the chain (run it through a rag) and apply a drop of
Extra Dry to each roller and wipe off the excess every week or so. I live
on the east coast and ride in wet conditions frequently.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I destroyed a chain when on vacation in Michigan last summer.
The soil on the trails I was riding was fine sand so I'm trying to find
something to use there this year that will shed the sand. If there is such
an animal. By the end of our 3 week vacation there you could feel the sand
in the rollers when you held the chain in your hands and turned each link. A
small price to pay for the enjoyment of riding in those piney hills I guess.

I'll give Extra Dry a try when the Wax is gone.

--
MBrundage@ease