CycleBanter.com

-   Off Road (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did I do to my hydraulic brakes?! (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=90329)

[email protected] May 28th 05 12:37 PM

What did I do to my hydraulic brakes?!

I don't know what I did, but somewhere along the line of removing my
wheel and taking out the pads, my rear hydraulic brakes (Avid Juicy
Sevens) are so close together I can't put the pads back in. It's like
they're in permanent "brake" mode and I can't get them to retract so I
can put my bike back together.

Yes, this is my first bike with hydraulic brakes so I'm sure I did
something wrong but at this point, I've got no idea. If anyone might
could point me in the right direction, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!

Charles Beristain May 31st 05 03:20 AM

On Sat, 28 May 2005 05:37:32 CST, wrote:

my rear hydraulic brakes (Avid Juicy
Sevens) are so close together I can't put the pads back in.

Carefully, using a flat bladed screwdriver.. wedge and turn the blade
to put pressure on the extended cylinders.. they will slowly retract.
The need to be flush with the casting in order to have room for the
thickness of a new set of pads..

Of course, you must unscrew the pad adjustment so it is as open as
possible.

charlieb in ct.

posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see
http://rbor.org/

Steve Walton May 31st 05 03:54 AM

On Sat, 28 May 2005 05:37:32 CST, wrote:

I don't know what I did, but somewhere along the line of removing my
wheel and taking out the pads, my rear hydraulic brakes (Avid Juicy
Sevens) are so close together I can't put the pads back in. It's like
they're in permanent "brake" mode and I can't get them to retract so I
can put my bike back together.

Yes, this is my first bike with hydraulic brakes so I'm sure I did
something wrong but at this point, I've got no idea. If anyone might
could point me in the right direction, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!

Guess you pulled on the brakes !!

You'll need to gently seperate the pads

Steve