CycleBanter.com

-   Off Road (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Which car will mountain bike fit in? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=92339)

[email protected] July 20th 05 12:16 PM

Which car will mountain bike fit in?

I need a rental car for my bike but I'm not sure how small a car I can
get. I don't own a car and going to the rental place to try out cars,
which is to far away, isn't an option. I have a Trek 800 Sport
mountain bike. More or less a standard sized bike. Taking the front
wheel off is easy enough. I haven't messed with the back wheel and not
sure how easy that is.

The biggest car I can get, with out spending to much (I'm in near NYC),
is a Ford Taurus. Cheaper cars are similar to the Elantra and
Cavalier.

I'd like any suggestion on how I can make my bike fit into the above
cars and what is feasible. Meaning, not spending 1/2 hour taking the
bike apart and putting it into the car.

Thanks,
Brett

Bill Sornson July 20th 05 05:19 PM

wrote:
I need a rental car for my bike but I'm not sure how small a car I can
get. I don't own a car and going to the rental place to try out cars,
which is to far away, isn't an option. I have a Trek 800 Sport
mountain bike. More or less a standard sized bike. Taking the front
wheel off is easy enough. I haven't messed with the back wheel and
not sure how easy that is.

The biggest car I can get, with out spending to much (I'm in near
NYC), is a Ford Taurus. Cheaper cars are similar to the Elantra and
Cavalier.

I'd like any suggestion on how I can make my bike fit into the above
cars and what is feasible. Meaning, not spending 1/2 hour taking the
bike apart and putting it into the car.

A) Ask for a hatchback. A visitor out here had a Chevy Malibu, and his bike
fit inside easily.

B) Learn how to remove your rear wheel. (You WILL get a flat some day, you
know.)

Realist Bill

posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see
http://rbor.org/

[email protected] July 20th 05 09:20 PM

You're right. I need to get better with taking the back tire off. If
it will fit into a Malibu, I imagine it will fit into a Taurus. I need
to look at the bike with both wheels off. It probably will get very
small.

BTW, there aren't any hatchbacks at the rental place. However, I can
look up the trunk dimensions at edmunds.com and measure them against my
bike with wheels off.

Brett

Bill Sornson July 21st 05 12:29 AM

wrote:
You're right. I need to get better with taking the back tire off. If
it will fit into a Malibu, I imagine it will fit into a Taurus. I
need to look at the bike with both wheels off. It probably will get
very small.

BTW, there aren't any hatchbacks at the rental place. However, I can
look up the trunk dimensions at edmunds.com and measure them against
my bike with wheels off.

Lots of cars have rear seats that fold down and access thru the trunk.

BS (no, really)